Feedback Wanted Tether Free VR

2 hours ago, Donut said:

It costs a lot and there are rumors the Vive will show off wireless tech at CES

http://www.techradar.com/news/wireless-htc-vive-2-rumored-to-be-showing-up-at-ces

Edit: They updated the article to say that it won't be shown at CES, but that doesn't mean they aren't working on it since that part wasn't denied.

It's probably not going to be that great though, or the headset will have an abysmal battery life since the Vive in particular is a very demanding setup. The third iteration of the Vive will probably be better than this since they have time to build upon a concept and improve it.

As someone who will be getting a Vive very soon, something like this would be great for room-scale VR titles so I don't end up tripping over the cord and wiping out my desk.

Just like SC, VR is an area where patience is clearly needed.  It's a shame so many developers won't be up front about the state of their tech.  I appreciate they want backers to fund and participate in continued development, but the hype is such a turn-off.  Just say, 'this kit is expensive and has limited real world use at present', then offer incentives for backing anyway.  For instance, some colleagues and I set up a conference call with 'Sulon Q' based in the U.S. off the back of the video below.  Within 10 minutes of us chatting with their techs. re. performance and ergonomics it was clear they were nowhere near dev kit production.  So what's the video about!!  Commercially I get it, but I think they're missing a trick, (credibility).

4 hours ago, J. Coren said:

It's probably not going to be that great though, or the headset will have an abysmal battery life since the Vive in particular is a very demanding setup. The third iteration of the Vive will probably be better than this since they have time to build upon a concept and improve it.

As someone who will be getting a Vive very soon, something like this would be great for room-scale VR titles so I don't end up tripping over the cord and wiping out my desk.

You could mount a small ring on the ceiling and clip the cord to it with a musketonhook when you want to use it. That way they wouldn't be lying on the ground. :)

281616344431_1.jpg

1 hour ago, ErrolMc said:

Just like SC, VR is an area where patience is clearly needed.  It's a shame so many developers won't be up front about the state of their tech.  I appreciate they want backers to fund and participate in continued development, but the hype is such a turn-off.  Just say, 'this kit is expensive and has limited real world use at present', then offer incentives for backing anyway.  For instance, some colleagues and I set up a conference call with 'Sulon Q' based in the U.S. off the back of the video below.  Within 10 minutes of us chatting with their techs. re. performance and ergonomics it was clear they were nowhere near dev kit production.  So what's the video about!!  Commercially I get it, but I think they're missing a trick, (credibility).

Credibility, good messaging, and quality product are the keys to making your platform appeal to people. VR does not have mainstream appeal, and companies need to remember that when selling their devices. Your goal should be to convince someone to spend several hundred dollars to get a piece of technology that is worth it, and not just a vector for shitty $30 "experiences".

• 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By NavyCPO
      Morning all
      I was wondering if those who use joystick and throttle can lend me some help.  I have a logitech X56 HOTAS and have finally after much trial and error have gotten it to work.
      The issue I am personally having is the way the default thrust is working with my throttle.  For example in Elite Dangerous my throttle works like I would expect, if I slide it all the way back that is a dead stop.  If I push forward it is full engine throttle.  In this game the throttle is idle in the middle which is hard to find for me cause my throttle has no mid detent, also when I push forward it goes in reverse engine thrust and when I pull all the way back it is full thrust forward.  To me this is not good especially how the throttle IMO is reversed.
      Is there a way to make the throttle perform like it does in elite where I can use the full range for going forward and set a reverse button and if not can someone assist me in getting it whee at least when I push all the way forward it is full throttle forward.  I have tried setting in game settings FLIGHT - HOTAS thrust invert toggle to both settings yes and no and it has not effected how my throttle works at all is remains backwards to me.
      Thanks anyone who can lend assistance.
      NavyCPO
    • By xxPETRYSHENx73
      Yo Yo whats up start citizen's have a question hope I can snag an answer.
      I've wanted to run this game for quite awhile now just recently got slightly new Gaming notebook.
      CPU specs
      Intel i5-8300H 2.3Ghz
      Nvidia Geforce 1050
      8Gb Ram
      My question is, is there anyone running this game with a set up pretty close to that that can give a straight shot answer I'd appreciate it.
    • By Donut
      After a long time of research and configuring what I believe to be the best set up for Star Citizen and general gaming and purpose, it's almost ready to start the process.

I was always intrigued by the idea of a simpit but never liked the ergonomics until I came across this post and the set up going on:
      https://imgur.com/a/GMG9E

I believe this is the set up I'm going after. Just wanted to know if there was anything I should add to this list besides the Volair Simpit, large center display and two alternate displays:
      VKB Space Sim Joysticks
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50174/thread/vkb-space-combat-grip-joystick
      VKB Throttle
      https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199002

Corsair Dark Core RGB SE w/ Amazon Qi Charger
      https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Mice/DARK-CORE-RGB-SE-Performance-Wired-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse-with-Qi®-Wireless-Charging/p/CH-9315311-NA
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVWTDM5/ref=emc_b_5_t

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Eventually there will be a VR headset and I will most likely be picking up the FOIP camera for SC.
    • By Eleidess
      Hello,
      I come back to you following my thread that I did six month ago, and I have a lot of news!
      To sump up quickly, I’m in the company that has created the Lexip mouse, a mouse with two integrated joysticks for 3D profesionals. After my last thread, I talked with my team and the project of created a gaming mouse started.
      We have improved our first mouse thanks to our beta testing team who allowed us to create the perfect gaming mouse: 200 to 8200 DPI, braided cables, programmable buttons…
      Today, in order to bring this project to a successful conclusion, we launch our Kickstarter campaign! I wanted to share this information with you in preview because it’s thanks to you, members of this forum that this project is born. 
      I can answer all of your questions, this mouse is my baby! ;)
      Thank you for everything!
    • By Devil Khan
      WD PR4100, TS-453A-4G or DS918+
      The first two are very similar price give or take 50. The newer one of the QNAP, The TS-453B-4G, however, the pricing is gone way up to €702.67 from its old(er) version €491.82 TS-453A-4G.
      The TS-453A is the very similar with the PR4100 in price, but it does have HDMI, which the WD doesn't have. However it is software side that the QNAP is the king QNAP are supposed to be the leader in apps with synology coming second.  I'm leaning towards the second one TS-453A-4G at the moment.
      Basically I want to use it as another backup of my OS, torrent and watch vids really.  However, I lack the experience of running/setting up all three.
      any advice would be much appreciated.