Build help Portable Flight Controls

Squirrel

So, I am looking at a possible job that would have me on the road several days a week on some weeks. As such, I am looking at portable flight solutions. I have 3 or so power gaming laptops I am looking at so that part is handled. But, I need some sort of flight control system that is somewhat portable other than a gamepad. I have never liked gamepads myself and would rather do mouse/keypad. But, my preference is something stick based. Anyone have ideas? The x-56 allows you to detach the stick from it's base. But, overall, the thing is very bulky and I would prefer something more portable. Just looking for ideas from other folks. Preference is for something portable and stick based.  Some ideas on some solutions I have looked at:

X-56:  I like that the stick can detach from it's base, but even with that, it is still pretty bulky.
T16000m/FCWS: I like the low profile of the throttle and inexpensiveness of the stick if I have to replace it but would probably need to construct some sort of padded 'brace'/carrier to protect the stick.
G13/Orbweaver/Tarterus Keypad: I like this as an option combined with a good multi-button mouse or inexpensive stick
Logitech 3D Extreme: This used to be my main stay until I started doing HOTAS.  The nice thing is that it is easy and cheap to replace if broken in transit
Multi-button/MMO mouse: I prefer stick based flying for the more 'natural' feel but could probably train myself to use a mouse if needed
Gamepad:  Non-starter for me.  This is one of the main reasons I have never been able to play on a console.  I don't know what it is about a gamepad, but I just can't do it.

I will probably intermix Voice Attack as wel.  This will mean I'll need 2 buttons for voice.  One for VA and one for voice Comms.

Can folks think of other ideas or have experiences with anything like the ones I mentioned in a mobile kind of flight solution?

Definitially use voice attack, it will make up for any buttons you might be missing by using the throttle built into the base of your t1600m stick if you use that.

Id worry about detaching the x56 too many times, will it handle the wear?

Personally id make a brace for the t1600m and not worry, any of your other options will take up about as much space and cost way more.