Ongoing Discussion AMD Zen is Here

Donut

Very impressive.  I hope all goes well for AMD.  If they price their products in a competitive manner (or even greatly undercut the competition), they may be in for a very large influx of sales.  If that Ryzen chip was say $500, it would sell like hot-cakes within the PC enthusiast community.  Even if there was a quad core model for $350, it would be a huge success.  4 years of no new processors, and up until the RX480, nothing really competitive for the masses (R9 FURY/X was, but too highly priced for what you'd get compared to Nvidia).  

The last AMD computer I had was when I built my 1100T with a 5770 back in 2010, and that was a beast of a system. I probably won't go with AMD this generation either unless it's completely worth it. The goal is to be able to play SC at 60-100fps at all times on max settings at 1440p ultrawide. To be able to do that I may not be able to go with an AMD CPU. We'll see.

21 hours ago, Donut said:

The last AMD computer I had was when I built my 1100T with a 5770 back in 2010, and that was a beast of a system. I probably won't go with AMD this generation either unless it's completely worth it. The goal is to be able to play SC at 60-100fps at all times on max settings at 1440p ultrawide. To be able to do that I may not be able to go with an AMD CPU. We'll see.

Why do you think that, when AMD have just shown their base level 3.4 GHz CPU performing at the same level as a $1,000 Intel CPU?

We don't really know what their "base" level is. When companies develop a new product, they show off the best they have then nerf it down here and there and make different versions. Intel does the same thing with their i7 processors. Each one is tested and binned according to performance. If it's not up to spec they disable it and make it an i5 or i3, server processor etc. 

What AMD showed could be the best they have and could also be similarly priced. 

Still dubious about Zen, because 8C / 16T isn't ideal for gaming. They'll be making clockspeed sacrifices with so many cores.  If they can demonstrate with a different part that they're right with Intel's 4 core i5s and i7s, then they have something worth bothering with for a Star Citizen computer.

One thing though, Intel's Kaby Lake next gen is pretty much no improvement at all over the current Intel tech (Skylake): http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/09/intel_kaby_lake_core_i77700k_ipc_review

So this means if you didn't update to Skylake and were holding out for Intel's Next Big Thing, well, you waited for nothing.  You might as well wait and see how AMD's Zen pans out.  Or continue waiting for the die shrink, but that'll be a while.

15 hours ago, Boildown said:

Still dubious about Zen, because 8C / 16T isn't ideal for gaming. They'll be making clockspeed sacrifices with so many cores.  If they can demonstrate with a different part that they're right with Intel's 4 core i5s and i7s, then they have something worth bothering with for a Star Citizen computer.

One thing though, Intel's Kaby Lake next gen is pretty much no improvement at all over the current Intel tech (Skylake): http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/09/intel_kaby_lake_core_i77700k_ipc_review

So this means if you didn't update to Skylake and were holding out for Intel's Next Big Thing, well, you waited for nothing.  You might as well wait and see how AMD's Zen pans out.  Or continue waiting for the die shrink, but that'll be a while.

Yeh well the focus is on the 8 core CPU but we know at very least there will be a 4 core high end cpu too. This will no doubt have a higher speed.

But yeh I guess we will just have to wait and see how they all perform. Hopefully get more info at CES.