Origin 600 Thread

ChiefWarrant

8 hours ago, Reavern said:

TheNoobifier recently posted an informative video on Passenger Transport:

Players will require special licenses to be commercial passenger transporters. Players will need to qualify for the licenses based on several factors. We know from CIG that reputation is a major aspect of passenger transportation. Another aspect will be the ship that the player owns. If a player applies for a passenger transportation license and their only ship is an Aurora, they won't be approved.

CIG has said that the 600i Luxury Ed. cannot transport VIP passengers, therefore, if the 600i owner applies for a VIP passenger transportation license (or any passenger transportation license) they won't be approved because their ship isn't capable of transporting passengers.

Without the VIP license, the player probably won't be able to log into the passenger transportation net and post that their ship is available to transport passengers. The 600i owner will be locked out of the system, so no NPCs, VIP or otherwise, will ever fly aboard the player's ship.

There's no getting around it. The 600i can't transport VIP NPCs unless CIG decides to change the 600i Luxury Ed., re-design its interior and add a VIP suite, and officially allow it carry passengers.

Don't you love when Ben comes back and trumps the Q&A and all the negative speculation ;)

2m into video. ... time to re-buy the 600i Touring model for those who jumped on the negative bandwagon. ...

TheNoobifier posted this video wherein he talked about Ben's video:

TheNoobifier makes many excellent points, such as the effort and production values that CIG used to put into new ship releases. I remember the first ship sales back in April 2013 when the Aurora was revealed. I remember the video commercials for the 300i, Hornet, Legionnaire, Freelancer, Constellation, M50, Mustang, and Cutlass. I remember the first Concept Ship Sales for the Herald, 890 Jump, Carrack, Reclaimer, Orion, Hull series, Genesis, Endeavor, and Vanguard. Those Concept Ship Sales had information about the role or profession each ship would perform in the PU. They didn't have Q&A's for those ships because they didn't need them.

Now CIG puts minimal effort into Concept Sales and the majority of the ships are redundant, performing the same job or role as an existing ship at a different price point. CIG barely explains anything about the new ships, which is why the Q&A's are mandatory, and they only answer the most basic and obvious questions. There's always the obligatory ship size question. Can it fit inside an Idris (or Polaris or Javelin)? What's the ship's range? Does it come equipped with a jump drive? Does it have a bed? Can it land on a planet?

CIG knows those questions are always asked, but they don't provide the answers upfront -- probably so that out of the 10 questions they choose to answer, half of them are softballs.

Ben has been hyping the new "game changer" ship for weeks. I'm skeptical about how "game changing" it will truly be. What I really want is a detailed Concept Ship page that provides real information.

For example, the Concept Ship page should include a side-by-side comparison diagram of the new ship with several existing ships of varying sizes. (The type of pics Star Citizen community members create, but done by CIG so we can be certain they're authentic and accurate.) There should also be a scale diagram of the Idris' hangar and the new ship inside it, with front, size, and top perspectives. If the ship fits, the diagram should indicate how many metres of clearance it has. If the ship does technically fit inside, but has minimal clearance on certain sides, the ship page should explain that the ship won't be allowed to land aboard the Idris because it's too tight and the risk of crashing will be too high. If the ship doesn't fit, the diagram should indicate where the ship would intersect with the Idris' walls or ceiling, to demonstrate precisely why it doesn't fit. Even if the ship was Constellation-size and therefore couldn't possibly fit inside an Idris or Javelin, CIG should include the ship size diagrams anyway, with the new ship sticking out of a semi-transparent capital ship to clearly indicate IT DOESN'T FIT! (Idiots will ask that pointless question anyway!)

CIG should answer the other obligatory questions in the Concept Ship page, like this:

Is the ship factory equipped with a jump drive?

No, the ship has a factory installed quantum drive. A jump drive can be installed by the owner.

What is the range of the ship?

The ship has a medium range, which means it can jump across 2 star systems before it needs to refuel.

Does the ship have a bed?

No.

Can the ship land on a planet?

Yes.

It should be as simple as that and done for every new Concept Ship -- even vehicles.

16 hours ago, pyro nl said:

had the touring but ended up with the explorer ;)

got a discountcode from @old sailor so went for the higher price ;o, will buy the touring module ingame

stil have my carrack so wil be interesting how good the 600 wil be

I thought they said the 2 ships were  of different design, with there own module's .

15 hours ago, Painmiester said:

I thought they said the 2 ships were  of different design, with there own module's .

Both the Touring/Luxury edition and Exploration edition are the same ship model, with different modules installed. That's why they're both the 600i, instead of the Exploration edition being called the "615p".

9 hours ago, Reavern said:

Both the Touring/Luxury edition and Exploration edition are the same ship model, with different modules installed. That's why they're both the 600i, instead of the Exploration edition being called the "615p".

Yeah, didn't they also confirm that in the Q&A? :)

Still a little odd (and confusing though) as the 315p and 325a were originally stated to be mere 'equipment packages' back in the day. But I admit that was before CIG started messing around with the missile hardpoints and now every version seems to have a different size hardpoint (or no hardpoint at all).

On 9/13/2017 at 6:21 AM, Danakar Endeel said:

Yeah, didn't they also confirm that in the Q&A? :)

Still a little odd (and confusing though) as the 315p and 325a were originally stated to be mere 'equipment packages' back in the day. But I admit that was before CIG started messing around with the missile hardpoints and now every version seems to have a different size hardpoint (or no hardpoint at all).

I believe that the 300 models are more than "equipment packages" because the 315p has a bulkier engine section than the 300i or 325a, because it is factory equipped with a +1 size engine. So there is some variation between the different models.

Although, the 300 series is receiving an update and rework, so it's TBD what they'll look like when they're done.

Regardless, 600i editions are confusing, especially since CIG didn't include the option to buy the Touring or Exploration modules.

The 600i is cool for its style and size in an exploration role.  I own one for that.

But wow, the marketing smoke.  I watched Bensday and Ben only hems/haws and hand waves about unspecified luxury game play.  No real gameplay info, just generic 'feel good' statements (the usual dynamic that goes on).  And that was enough for the 600i to become worthy again in Noobs video?

I agree that CIG would do better by presenting simplified Q&A that touches on key issues and game play, instead of gloss and frill.

I too was quite unhappy with the Q&A and how it diverged from the brochure. I was/am particularly incensed by them stating that it would be 'less' maneuverable than a Constellation, despite several references in the brochure that implied the exact opposite. A 'less' maneuverable ship with fixed guns is completely ridiculous. Them stating that the guns can be gimbaled also makes absolutely no sense. They are nested deep inside the hull. The only way to gimbal them would for them to either clip through the hull, or be mounted external to the hull. Saying those guns can be gimbaled is literally the same thing as saying the four fixed nose guns on the Vanguard can be gimbaled. They cannot.

That said, I do not think they are imagining this ship as one that will dogfight with attacking fighters, but rather a ship that is designed to excel at running away. Even the fallacious Q&A said it would be fast. A heavy forward fixed armament in theory could give it the ability to blow through a ship that is in front of it so as to prevent it from engaging it's quantum drive. Such a ship actually 'trying' to stay in front so as to keep the 600i from running would effectively be 'trying' to stay in the 600i's fixed gun sights. My guess is that I could live with that, if it truly is an effective escape artist.

Equipment wise, with the explorer package, the 600i is roughly on a par with the (much cheaper) Aquila. That makes it a bad value if only looking at it's known functionality. However it does have one thing that no other similar ship has, something that is of ENORMOUS value to me personally. It has a clear cockpit largely unobstructed by superfluous occlusions like struts and badly placed controls. Short of a ship having some ability to pay for itself, and some means of not dying, there is nothing more important to me than having a nice cockpit.

I waited on the Q&A before making a decision. I was very disappointed in the Q&A. In the end though, on the last day, I traded away my Aquila for a 600i. I expect I will mostly be a tourist in the game, and I want that cockpit. I was willing to effectively pay $160. to add that cockpit to the functionality of an Aquila. Any other 'prestige' effects that go with it will be icing.

It is too early to know whether flying around with four NPCs for crew will be financially viable in the 600i. But the ship has been touted as being highly automated/automatable, including the remote turrets. It's nice to have the option for effective soloability. That said, I very much do want to have a crew of around four NPCs, both for RP purposes and security when exploring. (For instance, I am hoping I'll be able to add different Voice Attack packages to each of them.)

I have enough in store credit for some other ~$400. ship whose primary function will be UEC grinding. I have no idea what that will be. I regret not picking up a Banu Merchantman as that would well fit the sort of gameplay I would be most comfortable with. A Hull D in comparison just seems so utterly prosaic for my tastes, though I expect it would be among the most profitable for safe space grinding. I have available for the moment a Starfarer Gemini, but while I am sure that too would be a good cash grinder, I loathe pretty much everything about it; it's cockpit, the style of gameplay 'work' in the grind, the FPS level of it's interior, everything. So I still don't know what I'll do for money in the game. I am an older gamer (pushing 60) with both arthritis 'and' bursitis, so it's not going to be any twitch combat, that's for sure.

On 9/8/2017 at 0:32 PM, Painmiester said:

Maybe  call it the money pit  lol

Definition of a (terrestrial) boat/ship: a hole in the water into which one throws money.

1 hour ago, Painmiester said:

Yup...tendinitis. arthritis  creaping in  . Squint eye...... 

That's why I got cataract surgery done - get the TorQ implants - no more astigmatism! W00T!

On 9/11/2017 at 10:58 AM, Painmiester said:

You need the Caption   WEEE  loook at MEEEE   lol   

This needs to be a wallpaper engine image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe a bit of a necro, but I was looking through CIG's new specs page. And I spotted this :

Naamloos.thumb.jpg.c782ba57436f72bff1d581d443a03704.jpg

If this isn't some error, then the 600i is indeed a pretty big ship, maybe actually rivalling the Carrack. If it's still faster than a Connie, she can really move for her size. Also, dibs to Teller for calling it right in the beginning.

16 minutes ago, Caldon said:

Maybe a bit of a necro, but I was looking through CIG's new specs page. And I spotted this :

Naamloos.thumb.jpg.c782ba57436f72bff1d581d443a03704.jpg

If this isn't some error, then the 600i is indeed a pretty big ship, maybe actually rivalling the Carrack. If it's still faster than a Connie, she can really move for her size. Also, dibs to Teller for calling it right in the beginning.

You are right on point on your observations (as was Teller) - however - you are missing the most important thing of all that MANY people miss when they evaluate ships (either via stats or current Arena Commander performance) - and that is....... 

What CIG has stated that they Intend for the ship...........

The ship has to be bigger (obviously - and this was expected) - however it is still intended to be a Rival of RSI's Constellations (Aquila) - and is "not" intended to be a Rival to the Carrack (not to mention that CIG "intends" for the Carrack to be the Penultimate Exploration ship = really more of a Mapping Ship while the Endeavor - with the Telescope module and Science labs is a different kind of Penultimate Explorer ship).   This also applies to the 600i's Touring Module --- meaning the 890 Jump is still "intended" to be the Penultimate Touring ship... and the 600i is more designed as a Touring Rival to the Phoenix (but I like that they didn't give it combat rivalry with the Phoenix)

Obviously both are not exact 1v1 rivals or comparison ships with either of these -- both 600i's are more "in-between" ships given their larger sizes (than the Connies) and also the budget that Origin put into them (giving them top of the line components - etc...)

2 hours ago, VoA said:

You are right on point on your observations (as was Teller) - however - you are missing the most important thing of all that MANY people miss when they evaluate ships (either via stats or current Arena Commander performance) - and that is....... 

What CIG has stated that they Intend for the ship...........

The ship has to be bigger (obviously - and this was expected) - however it is still intended to be a Rival of RSI's Constellations (Aquila) - and is "not" intended to be a Rival to the Carrack (not to mention that CIG "intends" for the Carrack to be the Penultimate Exploration ship = really more of a Mapping Ship while the Endeavor - with the Telescope module and Science labs is a different kind of Penultimate Explorer ship).   This also applies to the 600i's Touring Module --- meaning the 890 Jump is still "intended" to be the Penultimate Touring ship... and the 600i is more designed as a Touring Rival to the Phoenix (but I like that they didn't give it combat rivalry with the Phoenix)

Obviously both are not exact 1v1 rivals or comparison ships with either of these -- both 600i's are more "in-between" ships given their larger sizes (than the Connies) and also the budget that Origin put into them (giving them top of the line components - etc...)

When I said "rivalling the Carrack" I meant it more in terms of size :P But the increase in size could have a lot of implications. While it may not be a better explorer than the Aquila, it may be a better overal ship (faster, better shields, more cargo capacity, etc).

1 hour ago, Caldon said:

When I said "rivalling the Carrack" I meant it more in terms of size :P But the increase in size could have a lot of implications. While it may not be a better explorer than the Aquila, it may be a better overal ship (faster, better shields, more cargo capacity, etc).

CIG is very good at defining "value" for each of their ships and Ben said that they have an actual formula (it isn't just subjective) for figuring the price of a ship vs its value (++ Ben said in a recent interview with Batgirl that they will share this formula) ....

With that in mind - simply because the 600i (Touring and Explorer module) are more costly than the Phoenix and Aquila - it therefor should have advantages over those ships.

31 minutes ago, VoA said:

CIG is very good at defining "value" for each of their ships and Ben said that they have an actual formula (it isn't just subjective) for figuring the price of a ship vs its value (++ Ben said in a recent interview with Batgirl that they will share this formula) ....

With that in mind - simply because the 600i (Touring and Explorer module) are more costly than the Phoenix and Aquila - it therefor should have advantages over those ships.

I agree...this ship is gonna be large, it should definitely have some more functionality Instead of being pretty. Porsche SUV's have a boat load of functionality and they're gorgeous...

What also struck me by the way, the proportions have changed. It was 62 by 42 (ish) meters, so about 3:2 ratio. Now it's 91.5 by 52 meters, so 9:5 or 3.6:2. So that's bad news, the concept will have to change too...

On 10/29/2017 at 1:35 PM, Varmithunter said:

Porsche SUV's have a boat load of functionality and they're gorgeous...

Lol. I am glad someone likes them. I have a boxster and they can out run me.  Dang it.

Edit: And that is what the proposed Origin line is supposed to be like.