Feedback Wanted Analog Keyboard Used in Star Citizen

Aimpad

About a year ago I posted in these forums about an analog keyboard I've been working on for a couple of years.  I have made some sizeable changes in the keyboard to make it more usable in Star Citizen and posted a video highlighting how to get full analog control over 6dof using an analog keyboard and mouse: 

I'd love to hear your feedback!

Link to the survey mentioned at the end.

@Aimpad One point I will make is that they changed the default keybinding for strafe up / down to Space (up) and LCTRL (down) in order to unify the control across on foot, EVA,  and in vehicle.  I don't know how many keys you're wiring for analog control but if it is limited to the keys surrounding WASD, a selling point might be to offer a keybind template and software download when you go to retail with an AIMPAD compliant control scheme.

It's nice seeing the controls coming together though.  Another location in free flight to demo would be the landing pads, specifically because this type of analog control is such an advantage when it comes to close in maneuvering.  Hopefully we can see that and Star Marine (when it's released) because your Q/E would allow edge peek instead of the digital on / off of 'hide' vs 'thrust head around corner and get head shot off.'

Thank you for pointing that out.  Right now the QWERASDF and 4 arrow keys are analog.  I can add two more analog keys without changing anything significant in our design and LCTRL and Space are actually two strong contenders because even in FPS games Space is almost universally "jump" for "up" and CTRL is almost universally crouch for "down", so intuitively from that perspective it would make a lot of sense.

I'll have to check out the landing pads.  Great idea.  I'm really looking forward to Star Marine for just that reason!

For the keyboard to be of any real value, the analog mechanisms needs to be interchangeable with those keys without. Like most ppl don't use arrow keys for something useful that would need to be analog. Having the option to move those to t,g and c,v would make a world of difference in application use. That and any other combination that players prefer.

Asking ppl to change the preferred keyboard setup, just to get analog, would loose you customers. Me for sure...

For me it's been ESDF since before WASD was a thing. So I'd probably use analog ESDF(wr) with Extra QA TG. Spacebar on thumb..Easy 3rd choices would be VB, for flight... For analog FPS, I'd use ESDF with lean WR, with mouse & Track IR. A small reserve for any other axis CIG gives us would again be A&Spacebar.

ESDF I have you covered already. I already created features specifically to allow you to use ESDF instead of WASD for this very reason.  This is done by pressing FN+Alt and it switches to an alternate layout for ESDF gamers since there are are noticeable number of people that play this way. While using ESDF are you able to reach left CTRL?  I was talking to one of our engineers today about adding more analog keys without making it too expensive or compromising what we have up to this point and so he is going to evaluate adding more keys and what it will take.  I was thinking of adding ZXCV, Left Shift, left CTL, Alt, and Space.  I have to draw the line somewhere because there is diminishing returns on adding analog keys and the number of keys that are actually used for analog.

When using ESDF, these keys are hand rest keys: ESDF, with A and Space. Left side QW are easily reached. Same with RTG on the Right side. TAB, CAPS, Shift and CTRL are reachable, but most will then loose the QWAS group while reaching. Out of those TAB & Caps is easiest. Same on the Right side. RSTV(C) is reached without hand movement.

Out of all the keys, even in WASD, left CTRL is the hardest to reach and will result in hand twisting and lose of "control" of other axis higher up (WASD etc). In ESDF, ctrl is almost unreacable, to the point where I just map the key to a mouse button.