Shooting at parked ships

The_Great_Gazoo

Am I the only one that can't stand people that shoot at parked ships?  

Are you a person that shoots at parked ships and aren't ashamed to justify your actions?  (Because I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind doing something that requires such little skill)

I just can't understand why someone with any sense would do it and hope that I am part of the majority of this Org when it comes to feeling this way.

shooting-fish.jpg

While I have not even undocked myself or done this to anyone, I can easily explain their reasoning

"Hey look somthin i can shoot

haha that guy cannot even get off the station

I hope he goes and cries on the forums and I will be smug off his tears"

I'm too old for tears :) ...But not too old to avenge others or myself.

The other day, I had some guests operating the tailguns of my Tali as we approached Kareha.  One or two of the gunners started shooting at the parked ships, from the ship I was piloting...  Well I wouldn't have any of that, so I through it in Cruise Mode, away from Kareha and set the self destruct button.  It was a great feeling.  I could almost hear their screams as they tried to reach the airlocks :D.  If I see anyone doing this without cause, I shoot first and don't ask any questions, friend or foe.

29 minutes ago, ZomoZ said:

problem is those with "honor" "morals" "a code" whatever are just easy prey for those that shoot first and dont give a F

The only real way to have an edge is to shoot first

Which we do not encourage our members to do because it violates our CoC. ;) That being said, there are ways to know if someone intends harm to you and you can do a "pre-emptive takedown". I'll just be glad when they institute things that make the "lol-pew" stuff not worth the risk.

2 hours ago, TRxP149U3 said:

Only douche bags shoot ships with no pilot. Real pilots shoot it out

I am one then. 

1 hour ago, Chimaera said:

Which we do not encourage our members to do because it violates our CoC. ;) That being said, there are ways to know if someone intends harm to you and you can do a "pre-emptive takedown". I'll just be glad when they institute things that make the "lol-pew" stuff not worth the risk.

If you are going to take control of Kareah, the first step is to destroy all the ships.  If you leave unmanned ships, people get into them after go EVA and wreck your ships. It is simply getting control of space to then let most of your party go FPS and clear out the station.  I would say doing at Grim Hex or Olisar is horrible. But I have rammed a guy on Olisar who was killing imperium people and messing them up after they said they were going make a video.  The troll was also following them from server to server and using a weapon combo that would one hit kill any fighter in a connie.  

I am ready for my beating now. 

Right or wrong, there is a running belief that there is a maximum number of ships per instance and removing some allows spawned players to then spawn ships they could not before.  I don't know how accurate it is, but it is a common comment I see made.

Also, extra ships affect frame rate with the current, un-optimized code.  Some folks may see the removal of excess ships as a community service for people with less capable GPUs.  Again, I don't know how accurate this is but see it mentioned quite a bit.

While there are some players who do it to be jerks, there are also some who role play jerks (anarchists/pirates) and some who just do it out of innocent ignorance.

Douchebag checking in. It's pretty simple, honestly. 

If you're at Kareah, you want to destroy other ships on the pad because it will often force a firefight between people in the station and yourself so that they can take your ship and fly away. It also prevents people from jumping in their ship and destroying your own. You head to kareah for FPS type PVP, so it's just an understood thing that if you are there, expect to be shot at and have people try to kill you.  You want to destroy ships for another reason as well: the server ship limit which @Squirrel referenced above. (Yes, it's a real thing, and you can't spawn a ship after it's been reached). The Third reason is that it's kinda fun watching things blow up. 

I don't find it okay to blow ships up at Olisar (that's just trolling) but I have destroyed them at Grimhex because the owner can quite easily request a new one and I like to be safe and have been gunned down there before. 

Later on once there are consequences to in-game actions people will be destroying ships less and thinking before they fire, myself included. It's the lighthearted and consequence free nature of the current test that lets this kind of activity be fine. I've destroyed ships at Kareah and then picked the people stranded there up to ferry them back to Olisar before, it's really not a big deal to have your ship get destroyed.

I find it very amusing how some of you try to justify being a douche bag as "we're trying to help the server".

So, by heading to Kareha to protect the terminal from being hacked, I have allowed  not only the public, but our Org members as well, to just blow up my ship "because it's parked there", even though I'm there to stop a "pirate" from hacking the terminal.

Next thing you know, this Org (or certain members [who think their actions are justified]) will start burning witches like they did in the past.  I thought we were better than that.

[facepalm]

Not "Everyone" is a member so all we see is "No permission" in living glory :D.

Personally, I am growing tired at people whining. It is just a alpha test Game tbh. I've have more ships taken and/or blown up. Personally I think they are acting a bit dick-ish, but blowing it up is accidental, fast ship they can't handle it and hit the station and *BOOM*. Second they are asshole idiots who haven't learned how to fly and third just assholes.

PTU will get  ships taken a whole lot more than the PU.

However, they might not take you ship just want to look around as they don't own it or have access to it right now.

Do's and Don't  apply differently (if at all in some orgs) and it is up to you to follow the rules or the admins(or whatever, Bouncers?) To come down like a you. 

Of course there is a system or "key" which granted access to the ships system depending on owners settings for other people or even them. it will be implemented soon (TM). People will be people and dicks will be assholes :).

However, there isn't a reason why the rules should be exempt at any stage in the game development. Larger orgs will probably have more chances of it breaking the rules in people. I mean the percentage stays the same but more people. However, it is just the probability rating.   

"On the internet nobody can tell that I am really a dog"  Some of the nicest people  you know in person maybe the hugest prick and love to set you ship on fire!

I have never stolen (on SC) a ship all. Went on a walk around on a starfarer once though :)

Kareah I totally get. It's the combat zone where people go to duke it out. And you can always suicide your way home. No big loss. I don't do it unless I'm chasing a public enemy, but I certainly don't condemn it.

At Olisar and Grim Hex I consider it trolling / griefing to destroy ships on the pad. It's a style of play that leaves the target player unable to disengage except to quit and go to a different instance.

49 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

Kareah I totally get. It's the combat zone where people go to duke it out. And you can always suicide your way home. No big loss. I don't do it unless I'm chasing a public enemy, but I certainly don't condemn it.

At Olisar and Grim Hex I consider it trolling / griefing to destroy ships on the pad. It's a style of play that leaves the target player unable to disengage except to quit and go to a different instance.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that makes all kinds of sense for the baby PU and beyond. If the dynamic of the area is super high-risk, it makes all kinds of sense to approach it with a more "Red Alert" approach. Otherwise, it's best to be at Yellow Alert and assume everyone else is in the area to have fun and explore the awesomeness that is the baby PU...until you get locked on, at which point blast them.

True, but I don't see the "true" game. Alpha I just see a way too test of things, nothing will mark of for being a pirate for long anda pirate is someone who does anything aside from missions at the moment heh. When it was first started ships were taken left, right and center.

50 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

What is tested by destroying empty ships?  We know how ships blow up and how the suicide function works.

No, didn't narrow it to just that. Your safest method is try another instance. Grim hex most think of being a pirate means you can do ship like blow up ships for no reason. If you lack any reason you are a dick.:D

Forcing someone into another instance if they wish to not capitulate to someone else's style of play is griefing them.  It serves no other purpose, tests no dynamic, and tests no mechanic.  Imagine if you would, the ability to shoot people as they come out the door of the HAB suites.  Why, I could sit there all day with just a few people and totally own the instance.  To what end? 

BTW, if you can't read the CoC link above, try the publically available one.  Keep in mind it only applies to Imperium members, but IIRC it overlaps with the majority of orgs we would align with.  @Diplomacy could better answer that.

Very interesting to read everyone's opinions on this issue. The fact if the matter is, if it's not "safe space" then it's not safe. Regardless of whether or not you personally approve of the behavior, it is currently a part of the mechanics of this small sample of this alpha test bed. With that, all that can really be said is the "It is what it is"!

Now, if the question is, do Imperium members participate in this type of game play, yhe answer would clearly be...it really depends. If you are at the assigned pvp area at the security post, then you should assume that it is a free for all. That same appears to apply at Grim Hex. This is the way it has been set up by the developers. If you choose to see it or not there are reasons for having it this way, the most prevelant would be to test player behaviors and gauage what systems would need to be created in order to influence that behavior.

I think again we loose sight of that fact that what we have is indeed a test bed, not a playable game. I would say that if you are looking for a complete and enjoyable experience from what we have access to at this time, you're expectations may be ahead of where developemnet is in it's current state.

As far as "trolls and griefers" are concerned, I would assume this is something that will persist even through the "completed game", if there will be such a thing. With that I believe it is extremely important that players mind their surroundings and locations and act accordingly in the situations presented in certain game areas.

10 hours ago, The_Great_Gazoo said:

I find it very amusing how some of you try to justify being a douche bag as "we're trying to help the server".

So, by heading to Kareha to protect the terminal from being hacked, I have allowed  not only the public, but our Org members as well, to just blow up my ship "because it's parked there", even though I'm there to stop a "pirate" from hacking the terminal.

Next thing you know, this Org (or certain members [who think their actions are justified]) will start burning witches like they did in the past.  I thought we were better than that.

[facepalm]

Cin and I are the only ones that took that stance, you can reply to us by name if you'd like an adult discussion instead of doing a general "some assholes seem to think..."

We called ourselves douchebags sarcastically because it's not being a douche, It's just playing the game. It doesn't matter if we justify the actions or not (there's no need and we aren't griefing or breaking Imperium rules), to me the cool explosion effect ships make is worth blowing them up when there isn't anyone inside. It doesn't really matter a whole lot why you're at Kareah, if your ship blows up you can suicide back to Olisar or hitch a ride and req a new ship and lose absolutely nothing. 

I think that @Juntau summed it up nicely for application to Imperium members and others: take a chill approach and recognize it's an alpha and people are messing around. It's not banned for Imperium members to shoot at parked ships (though I do believe that real griefing or hateful/abusive chat use is not allowed which is great) and it doesn't matter much if they are in the present state of the game- don't run around saying you're Imperium and acting like a douche, don't taint the org like that.

People who are really trolls and griefers will continue this behavior past when there are actual consequences for the player whose ships are destroyed, and that's where you'll see who the real douchebags, "asshole idiots", and dicks are and that's when we all expect leadership to change the rules, and for people who want that style of play to realize Imperium isn't for them. I don't think that 3.0 will have those kinds of consequences, I don't think they'll be added until some point of the Beta. 

I would say that it is unlikely that we will develop an official hard line with the game constantly changing.  There is a tension between people who want as little pvp as possible and people who want to blow up as much as possible.  I would suggest that everyone be a bit understanding if someone disagrees there is typically a reason for it.  This org needs all types of players, and we need them to all be friends. @Karmaslap & @The_Great_Gazoo 

On the disagreement side, I disagree with @Juntau about Grim Hex.  I know that it is designed as a free for all.  But a newbie can get crashed into get a wanted status and then always spawn there.  If people are spawn camping at every server, the guy will get trolled which is not right.  There is a way to counter this problem, but a newbie is not likely to know how to do it. 

The game mechanics haven't been quite flushed out as we all know, but I do believe in a PVP area like Kareah everything is fair game and that should be expected...I go to Kareah with the expectations to see anything that can explode to be exploded parked, flying, no matter what..... Now the flip side places like port O, more should be done to curb ship ramming (last night 4 different times I was rammed while taking off and landing :-bang: ) and I think for at least 1 or 2km around Grim Hex should be a safe zone cuz nothing like trying to land and someone start shooting at you, But back to point at hand I think shooting empty or parked ship should be a tactical decision, a Vanguard parked in a PVP area is gonna vented, just saying. But a Lancer or something floating in middle of nowhere I'll leave alone 

I'm done here as it's getting a tad prickly.

Judging by the responses of some simply wonderful people, I can see some don't value immersion like others.  Didn't mean to offend.  I just won't be flying beside people that participate in this kind of behaviour and basically wanted to see how this Org felt about it (not to whine).

...thanks for the honest replies.