Around The Verse - 3.9 UK

Tallhart

Gallagher-style headshot gibs confirmed!

The golf swing sounds dreadful. It's okay in E: D to have a mechanic where you target, then hold scan for X time, since you're the only person there, but scanning should be engaging for your crewmember. Who would volunteer if there's no skill involved?

Add a control for the width of the scanning cone, and the strength to adjust for detectability versus attenuation.

The updated mobiglass was awesome as it actually looks like a hologram from 100s of years in the future.  I never thought that customization would happen :-D

7 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

The golf swing sounds dreadful. It's okay in E: D to have a mechanic where you target, then hold scan for X time, since you're the only person there, but scanning should be engaging for your crewmember. Who would volunteer if there's no skill involved?

Add a control for the width of the scanning cone, and the strength to adjust for detectability versus attenuation.

I think what they're aiming for with all these new mechanics is not just some element of skill, but an element of danger as well, which in turn is an incentive to get better at what you want to do.  For instance, I think that with mining, they would implement it so if you take in too much material, you'd jam... if you overuse the processors, then you'd overheat and so on.  Another example that they have talked about is repair, where you have to get the precise mixture of metals and alloys to successfully repair the hull.  

I doubt that the golf swing would be the final form, but I think that it would be the template of this mechanic i.e. some form of skill-based action with potential risk to yourself or the ship.

I think it's probably gonna end up somewhat like the gears of war reload where you can pass in the zone but if you hit the sweet spot you get a bonus.  I hope it's gonna shift around and not be in the same place all the time... I think it would get a bit stale if its static.