Ongoing Discussion Lets see your Rigs!

Tillion

• 3 weeks later...

Corsair Carbide 540 Air case w/3x120mm (intake) and one 140mm fan (exhaust) with 2xGTX970SSC, FX-8350 w/Arctic Cooling 240mm closed loop radiator w/4x120mm fans (exhaust out the top), mobo: ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+, 32GB DDR3 1866 RAM, EVGA 850w G2 pwr sply, a 750 EVO 500GB and an 850 EVO 250GB Samsung SSD, 10.5 TB of HDD storage. Pictures later. The case.

Image_20.jpg

13 hours ago, Gremlich said:

Corsair Carbide 540 Air case w/3x120mm (intake) and one 140mm fan (exhaust) with 2xGTX970SSC, FX-8350 w/Arctic Cooling 240mm closed loop radiator w/4x120mm fans (exhaust out the top), 32GB DDR3 1833 RAM, EVGA 850w G2 pwr sply, 250GB Samsung SSD, 128GB Crucial M4, 6.5 TV of HDD storage. Pictures later. The case.

Very interested to see what this looks like built. I've been thinking about build in this case for a while now.

28 minutes ago, Juntau said:

Very interested to see what this looks like built. I've been thinking about build in this case for a while now.

it allows great cable management and airflow AND I got it on sale for $110 at Microcenter. I'll put some images on next week. I'm still trying to get one of those new EVGA sli bridges and debating on whether to get another sound card. I forgot to list my mobo, ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+

• 3 weeks later...

@Pagan_X2 That's the exact HOTAS (or, I guess HOSAS while in the pilot's chair) that I will have once the game is far along enough for me to devote everyday play time to it. :) (And I'll even get an employee discount on the Warthog ;) )

As for my rig:

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T
Motherboard: Gigabyte MSI Z97X-SLI
CPU: Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070  (alliteration)
PSU: Corsair CX600M 600W ATX Modular Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) Kit
Storage: 
Western Digital 1TB Mechanical
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Solid State
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Peripherals

Monitor: 2x AOC 2425W 24" 1080p LED Monitor
Keyboard: SteelSeries 6G v2 Cherry Red Mechanical (Such a bad example, mixing corsair and steelseries like this...)
Mouse: Redragon Perdition
Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M
Headset: Corsair VOID RGB Wired Headset

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Time to show off again. :P

New build:

i7-8700k

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Mobo

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Case (Anthracite Grey)

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 RAM @3200MHz

Intel Optane 900p 280GB SSD (Boot + SC) [Aside: Holy f*ck this thing is fast!]

3x Samsung 960 EVO M2 SSD's (1TB, 500GB, 250GB)

EVGA 280mm Closed Loop CPU Cooler

EVGA 850W G2 PSU

Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD

ASUS ROG Swift P279Q 27" 1440p 144Hz / 1 ms with G-Sync 

ASUS 1440p Secondary Monitor

Thrustmaster Warthog (RH)

Thrustmaster T-16000 (LH)

Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Mouse

Logitech G910 Orion Spark KB

Sennheiser Game One Headphones

Meditating Stone Frog

5a1e80d005930_NewPCBuild8700k.thumb.jpg.2931ba59a2ca7afb80e343cceb4c0b41.jpgones

Logitech G-Series Mousepad

Steel Series Mousepad

P.S. Looks like my monitor is quite a bit tilted! 

@Pagan_X2 Did you get the PCIe Optane or the M.2 Optane drive? Cuz I got the M.2...which is kind of a misnomer because it's just an oddly large 2.5" SSD housing that doesn't fit into my SSD brackets with a weird 12" cable terminating in a M.2 adapter. Wish I'd just gotten the PCIe version. I don't think I'd be able to use this in my case even with an adapter for my other 3.5" hard drive bay.

As for the rest of my rig:

Intel i7-7700k

Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming Motherboard

Corsair H80i Liquid CPU Cooler

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz

280GB Optane 900p SSD (not installed, still trying to figure this one out)

500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (boot, primary games)

Western Digital HDD (1x 1TB, 1x 2TB)

And somehow my Corsair CX600M 600W Power Supply is still keeping up.

All neatly wrapped* in a Corsair Graphite 760T (White) Case.

Peripherals:

ASUS MG240 24" 1080p 1ms Gaming Monitor

AOC 22" Monitor

Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Gaming Keyboard

Redragon Perdition Gaming Mouse

Corsair MM600 Double-Sided Hard Gaming Mat

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster T16000M Flight Stick

Corsair VOID Gaming Headset

AKRacer Gaming Chair (Blue/Black)

Nintendo Switch

Sleepy Doggo

Too Many Goddamn Icons

A Guitar I Haven't Played in Months

Corsair Fanboy Certificate

20171129_093014.jpg

*Cable management not included

• 2 weeks later...

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache
+Cooling: Xtreme Hydro 360mm Liquid CPU Cooling

Primary HDD (system): 480GB SanDisk Ultra II
Secondary HDD (data+software): 4* (1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)  in  RAID 0+1 (Strip + Mirror)
Additional HDD (temporary data) : 1TB TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory

Video: 2* (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell))  in SLI
SLI: EVGA Pro SLI Bridge V2

...and I'm going to get this, as soon as 3.0 drops: https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Controller-SCB432210002-01/dp/B01CZTSS3O

O0Y8WvC.jpgMy Budget System

Case: ENTHOO EVOLV MATX

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K with bequiet 120mm closed loop cooler

Case: Phanteks Evlov mATX

Mobo: ASrock H81M-DGRS

Primary HDD (system): Crucial 250GB

Secondary HDD (Game): Crucial 250GB

Additional HDD (temporary data) : 4TB HDD

Memory: Generic 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 Memory

Video:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 6GB.

Backup system.

Fractal Design matx case

Mobo: ASrock Z87matx

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K

Primary HDD (system): Crucial 250GB

Memory: Patriot 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 Memory

Video:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 6GB.

Just now, LeroyJenkins said:

@Gallitin Please don't get another Alienware. You pay a premium just for the brand name, same as Apple. You can get the same rig for a good bit less from Acer/ASUS. Or even custom if you're looking into that. 

Yeah people keep telling me that :) There is even a thread somewhere on the boards where we discussed it years ago.  

I completely agree with you, but ever since I won my original Alienware from CIG in 2013? I really liked how easy it was vs building my own.  I always have built my own up until then.  Even in 2015 when I got this new one I still sold my old 2 year old box for $900 or so wasn't a lot of new cost to upgrade.

Not opposed to it and might revisit building my own next time around.

53 minutes ago, Donut said:

I like your chair. What is it?

Hmm...something that was on sale at Office Depot last year.  The only info I see is under the chair, a bunch of "do not remove" tags and this little snippet.

2017-12-13 14.39.53.jpg2017-12-13 14.39.58.jpg

The prices aren't really that far off, but even if you only retain the hard drives out of your current rig, you still save around $300 (storage and OS combined). Comparing to the $1600 Alienware Aurora package, a custom build would save you $300-500 depending on how much penny-pinching you intend to do, I opted for slightly more expensive Corsair RAM (at 3000 MHz instead of 2666, since it's the same price, and you can probably get it cheaper from Crucial or EVGA) and the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 (which is also slightly more expensive than other brands but I've never had a problem with Gigabyte hardware so I tend to stick by them). With comparable hard drives and OS included, the price points are pretty close. With some of the cheaper options on the memory, GPU, and cooling you could probably knock it down to $200 or more below the Alienware price for literally the same machine. 

When I say penny-pinching, I mean opting for the cheapest alternative that has the same level of performance. And actually with my estimate you're getting a 256GB M.2 SSD instead of a 128GB. If you want the 1080Ti, you're still only looking at going up another $350 on the custom end for the Gigabyte card, as opposed to a $450 price hike for the same upgrade on the Alienware end (only other change between the $1600 model and the $2050 model is the switch from 128GB on the M.2 to 256GB).

Custom build is around $1000 before GPU and a case.
Alienware prefabs are $1600 (1070) and $2050 (1080Ti).

Just my take on it. @Gallitin

Side note: Non-alienware prices are from Microcenter.com, slight bias cuz I work there.

Edit: WHY IS THE FORUM SNOWING

Yeah I completely understand, the other route has just been so convenient for me without having to do my research :)

I’ll take another look at building again in a few months before I order anything. 

14 minutes ago, LeroyJenkins said:

WHY IS THE FORUM SNOWING

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of micro center. Look for something that have a rebate then have them price match with either Amazon or other store. 

Sometime other store have cheaper price without the rebate. They will price match with the cheaper price, but you will get the rebate also. 

On 12/13/2017 at 2:35 PM, LeroyJenkins said:

@Gallitin Please don't get another Alienware. You pay a premium just for the brand name, same as Apple. You can get the same rig for a good bit less from Acer/ASUS. Or even custom if you're looking into that. 

@LeroyJenkins What are your thoughts on these setups/prices?  Seems like it's really customizable, had a friend order one from there and was thinking of trying them out this time.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

My first "gaming" rig was a cyberpower rig. It is an X58 board and is still functional. My 11 year old uses it. It was overpriced for what it was but if you don't want to build it's a viable option. There are so many boutique pc builders online now it should be easy enough to get exactly what you want for a price you can live with.

@Gallitin That $1399 bundle with a 8700k/1070/8gb ram looks like a decent bargain. Even comes with a 3 year parts and labor plan. My only suggestion would be to upgrade to 16gb ram if you intend for this to be your Star Citizen rig. Places like Fry's and Microcenter can sell you a single RAM module or you can go into the options on CyberPowerPC's website. I'd recommend just buying the extra RAM after the fact unless that voids their warranty (double-check with their CS people, i don't know offhand how stingy they are about that) since the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB costs $120 if you just modify the build on CPP but it would only be like $90 at microcenter.

It's got a SSD/HDD combo and a mouse (you can remove the mouse if you want to, but it's only costing you $3 in the bunde). They also have options to add wireless NICs, monitors, sound cards, speakers, etc if you need any.

I'd say the new year's deals are worth the money.