Anvil - Hurricane

VoA

The current design is more "fluid" and less bumps, angles and edges. Still has the Gladiator tail, the Hornets wing tips

That I would love to fly, just remove the front wings and the center "spoiler" . Move the two guns back a bit. I do hate the look, It was happening on the gladius, vanguard etc bottom of the nose :/   

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another ship has entered production since our last update. The Anvil Hurricane is now in the whitebox phase of the pipeline and we’ve already completed temp exterior and interior lighting, proxy animations, temp interactive cockpit control layout, setting up the almost final hierarchy of the ship, temp proxies and initial break damage points. The enter, exit and seated templates for the turret and the pilot seat are also set up, and the ship item breakouts have also been completed.

Pilot_POV.jpg

Exterior_001.jpg

18 hours ago, Th3 Warm0ng3r said:

I have been questioning holding on to this ship or melting for something else, especially since I have an eclipse and the idea of having ballistic weaponry is nice, I am starting to realize just how expensive it is going to get to re-arming this thing. 

The cost of rearming ships with ballistic weapons is a factor, but I don't think it will be prohibitively expensive. For example, if you accept a "Search & Destroy" contract for 5000 UECs to eliminate 4 NPC Pirates that've been reported attacking ships at a certain location, and you deplete most of the Hurricane's ballistic ammo fulfilling that mission, I doubt it will cost 4000 UECs to rearm the Hurricane. I think it will cost less than 1000 UECs. Or the payout for S&D missions will be higher. Or perhaps the mission giver will throw in a bonus reward and rearm your ship for free. Or you could salvage ammo and missiles from the NPC ships you destroyed. There are a lot of different ways that the cost of ammo could be subsidized.

My concern about the Hurricane is adapting to its unique flying/fighting style, because it's the epitome of a glass cannon. It seems like if the Hurricane spots an enemy fighter and shoots first, its ballistic guns will blast it to pieces. However, if an enemy fighter gets on the Hurricane's tail, it'll get shot to pieces just as quickly. Based on that, the Hurricane seems like it will be ill-suited for PvP matches in Arena Commander. Also, late waves in Vanduul Swarm will be extremely difficult.

The Hurricane is a ship that I'll rent and test fly to determine if I like it. If its fighting style suits me and I excel at dogfighting in the Hurricane, I'll buy back the Hurricane that I purchased during the concept sale. However, if the Hurricane isn't appreciably better than the starfighters I already own, I won't buy it back. I'll earn it in game instead. Or if it's really bad, of course, I won't bother with it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Scotterius said:

Does the evocati have the hurricane now?

Hurricane is scheduled for 3.2 (Q2 2018) with 8/32 tasks completed so I don't think it will be in 3.1. Ships/vehicles planned for release in this build are the NOX Kue, Reclaimer, Terrapin, Razor, and Cyclone. :)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

• 1 month later...

I like it how they called this an anti-capital ship fighter in the last AtV. In the hands of a capable 2-man team, this thing will go to town on mid and big sized ships if left unchecked. They pretty much defined it as an alternate to Eclipse and Gladiator to attack big ships when equipped with lasers since it doesn't have ammo limitations that way.

4x S3 sustained laser fire from the turret is nothing to scoff at and it also has 2x S4 hardpoints in the nose. Ballistics might be a better fit when engaging small or mid sized ships because they have better TTK. I expect this to see play for 2-man teams because it's a pretty versatile combat ship, being able to easily engage almost everything except maybe multiple small, dogfighting oriented ships working in tandem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, Brightmist said:

I like it how they called this an anti-capital ship fighter in the last AtV. In the hands of a capable 2-man team, this thing will go to town on mid and big sized ships if left unchecked. They pretty much defined it as an alternate to Eclipse and Gladiator to attack big ships when equipped with lasers since it doesn't have ammo limitations that way.

4x S3 sustained laser fire from the turret is nothing to scoff at and it also has 2x S4 hardpoints in the nose. Ballistics might be a better fit when engaging small or mid sized ships because they have better TTK. I expect this to see play for 2-man teams because it's a pretty versatile combat ship, being able to easily engage almost everything except maybe multiple small, dogfighting oriented ships working in tandem.

I think this ship isn't going to replace bombers for attacking large ships, although it may certainly punch above its weight ;)

The Hurricane will likely not be able to "siege" a large ship with sustained energy weapon fire. The Hurricane only has 1 small power plant. It may struggle to keep those guns powered, as well as the shields in a long protracted battle. I think this ship will adopt a more "boom and zoom" strategy, using quick slashing attacks on larger ships and quickly retreating while the gunner fires aft. 

The Hurricane is actually pretty specialized for a fighter. It will likely excel at small-medium targets while not being the primary focus of the enemy. Pairing this ship with something like a Vanguard or Super Hornet may be potent. This ship is lightly armored and lacks redundancy in its components; it cannot take a hit. It is more of a fire-support fighter for group play. 

So far the most versatile fighter I have seen is probably the Sabre, but that is just my opinion. Every ship has trade-offs; every ship has weaknesses. 

This ship is going to struggle in attacking alone against armored targets with strong and capable turrets. A single Hammerhead turret may one-click instant kill this thing if it lines up a shot, so that is something to think about.

The Hurricane is the fighter that will be ideally suited to the Combined Arms anti-capital ship combat that CR described in the early days of SC's development. CR said that after a cap ship's shields were sapped, fighters engage at point-blank range and precisely target the cap's point defense weapons, countermeasures, and shield gens (so the shields couldn't recharge) to expose an opening for a torpedo strike.

I believe that is what is meant by the Hurricane being an "anti-capital ship fighter". It doesn't mean that a single Hurricane can destroy a cap ship. It means that the Hurricane can inflict damage on a cap ship and "defeat" it by disabling important components. For example, if a Hurricane can disable the weapon systems on one side of an Idris frigate, it can continue to attack with impunity, and eventually punch a hole in the hull. A prudent Idris captain would retreat before that happened. The only way a Hurricane could destroy the Idris is if the captain was a prideful fool and refused to retreat from the fighter.

I think Hurricane fans have hastily jumped on the characterization of it being an "anti-capital ship" fighter, which is hype from CIG intended to sell new Hurricanes when it becomes flyable. When the Hurricane is flyable, I predict that it will be able to punch through large ships' shields and hulls, like a Caterpillar or Starfarer, but when cap ships become flyable, it won't be as effective against them. Perhaps multiple Hurricanes concentrating their fire against a cap ship can pose a credible threat, but not a single fighter.

• 3 weeks later...

The team, consisting of Vehicle Art, Systems Design, and Tech Art, developed vehicles for both Alpha 3.2 and subsequent releases. On the art side, the Anvil Hurricane completed its flight prep pass and has been handed off to the other vehicle disciplines for the 3.2 release.

Hurricane1.jpgHurricane2.jpg

The look sweet, but the in-game lore is a fuckwit (IE the CIG concept tech layout).

They do look cool and all, but stats are a mess tbh for a REAL military ship the shield should be strong and either fast but slugish maneuverable or slow, but agile. Of course the powerplant which is under powered. I can see why we can't use ballistic weapons, but prefer an option.

I can see we are in a fight and quickly run out of rounds, so we are screwed as we can't out run and can't out maneuver them 

I'm looking forward to flying the Hurricane. If it suits my flying style, I might Buy Back the Hurricane. It depends on if the turret will be pilot-controlled. It's my understanding that it's NOT. The pilot can't even gimbal-lock the turret and fire it. This is a huge problem for Arena Commander... which has been grossly neglected for nearly a year now. CIG needs to update AC to enable proper matchmaking for multi-crew ships, so you find a gunner for your Super Hornet, Cutlass Black, Vanguard, or Constellation.

In the meantime, I'll have to buddy up and test fly the Hurricane in the PU. I agree with BuzZzKiller that it's strange the Hurricane has fixed ballistics for the pilot and laser repeaters for the gun turret because I thought the Hurricane was supposed to be glass cannon: using its quad turret to punch through an enemy ship's shields and inflict crippling damage. Laser repeaters are blocked by shields, which have to be sapped until they can get through to the hull, then they inflict heavy damage. Perhaps quad repeaters will take down shields fast enough that they're actually better than ballistics. You can count on Noobifier to test various Hurricane loadouts and make a video about the best configuration.

I'm planning to test the Hurricane with 2 x Mantis ballistic gatlings on gimbals for the pilot and quad Omnisky IX's for the turret. Based on the deadliness of the Sabre's quad fixed Omnisky IX loadout, mounting them on the Hurricane's manned turret should be devastating. They should breach a fighter's shields in a couple of shots and inflict massive damage.

Another interesting loadout would be quad Suckerpunches on the turret and any S4 gun on the nose. The distortion guns should quickly sap the enemy's shields and leave it exposed for a killshot by the pilot.