Anvil - Hurricane

VoA

*whispers: nobody ever does :D *

There is one thing which really sticks over about the engine, there is practically nothing aside from one (found it) . We don't know if it is good maneuvering, if it will out run a hornet fast enough and not just slowly move away.  

3 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

*whispers: nobody ever does :D *

There is one thing which really sticks over about the engine, there is practically nothing aside from one (found it) . We don't know if it is good maneuvering, if it will out run a hornet fast enough and not just slowly move away.  

It's difficult to guess (and all we can do is speculate) because the engines don't scale linearly. And the ship stats are notoriously unreliable.

The first problem is that the stats claim the Hurricane has a single TR2 engine when the pics clearly show it has two engines. The supposed explanation is that it's a single engine connected to two main thrusters. I hate it when CIG does that. It's a stupid explanation and needlessly confusing. The Ship Specs don't account for this scenario of the number of main thrusters being different than the number of engines.

I believe that CIG will revise the Hurricane's specs to 2 x TR1 engines, because it's much easier to revise the specs than redo the ship model.

Regardless, for the moment, the Hurricane has a Max Engine Size of TR2 and is equipped with a TR2 engine. The F7C Hornet has a Max Engine Size of TR3 and is equipped with a TR2 engine. The Super Hornet and F7A Military Hornet have Max TR4 engines and are equipped with TR3 engines. It's unclear what TR2 engine the Hurricane has, but chances are it's different than the F7C's TR2 engine; regardless, let's assume that both TR2 engines are roughly equal. Since the Hurricane is 6000 kg lighter than the F7C, it's probably faster. Comparing the Hurricane's maneuverability is difficult because it's lighter, but it has 8 x TR1 maneuvering thrusters, whereas the F7C is heavier but it has 8 x TR2 manuevering thrusters. It's unclear which variable predominates, but I'm guessing they're roughly the same.

I expect that the Hurricane's speed and maneuverability will be comparable to a F7C Hornet and slightly more agile than a Super Hornet. The problem is that the Hornet isn't exactly nimble compared to light fighters, and the Hurricane lacks the Hornet's shields and armour, so it's going to be an easy prey for interceptors.

I'm concerned that CIG is going down a simplistic Rock-Paper-Scissors combat system for dogfighting, wherein an offense-only heavy fighter can defeat medium fighters like the Hornet, SH, and Vanguard, but the Hurricane will be get p0wned by light fighters. I don't like such a simplistic "weight" or "class" based combat system.

I'd prefer two max TR2 with a TR1 in them as default, that way it can go beefy-er but  default is mediocre. At the moment the fly so slow, assuming their weight ratio, than the Hornet or even the value Aurora. Armor Vs Speed Vs DPS doesn't act right, especially against Vanduul.

The Simplistic isn't a bad idea. Only in Arena matches is that type will not be actively used. In PU, I doubt it will be going solo (two players) are looking for a fight. The rock, paper, scissors is actually smart. See You can field one type of fighters, but your enemy fields 2 or more types. 1 soak up their damage and the other able to really hurt them in the right settings. In fleet formation it is a very good thing. See Depending on Heavy hitters and brawler you can make the side have more fire power, more armour or the sweet spot.

Actually 4xS3 will be able to target them at majority of angles including the rear.

1 hour ago, Riley Egret said:

Dont' forget that the Hurricane is more or less forced to pick ballistics, whihc enforces possibly some limitations on the PU; on top of that, you need a turret gunner in order not to lock it ( they're not gimbaled like the SH ones), so you have two people in a glass cannon.....

Perfect quote from Star Wars for that- "Double the pride Double the fall" haha I think it will be a pretty good support ship to have on my wing while I'm in my Super Hornet but yea I wouldn't want to be caught out in one without atleast some kind of fighter support to harass a target and keep them busy while you pretty much setup line of sight and hail them with non stop lead.

27 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

The more I look at this ship, the more I dislike the way they are describing its role and design. Hopefullly the Q&A will provide more answers, because right now I think having something like a Bucc would be a lot better than this ship...

I was comparing the Bucc and the Hurricane and was thinking the same thing at this point.

Buccaneer isn't a solo pilot. I mean in the PU, you can't solo it and hope to make money or even survive. The Hurricane is a good for picking out weakness and then using the massive damage. However, there is a major flaw for any fighter, the lowest acceleration compared to an aurora. I hope that we can get some clarification regarding the engine(s). It isn't a single ship, you really need to operate in packs like the Buccaneer,  but unlike the Buccaneer you will need another fighter Sabre or (S)Hornet.

Heavy fighter should either be a tanker with slow movement or fast moving light armour and high dps. I know there are more ways, but just going for two at the most basic way.

You will need "skills" and I don't mean ingame skills, but real life skill for using this hurricane.

High skill means they have screwed it up again :D. If it bigger engines or dual TR2 then it would be a very good, still high skill needed though.

10 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Buccaneer isn't a solo pilot. I mean in the PU, you can't solo it and hope to make money or even survive. The Hurricane is a good for picking out weakness and then using the massive damage. However, there is a major flaw for any fighter, the lowest acceleration compared to an aurora. I hope that we can get some clarification regarding the engine(s). It isn't a single ship, you really need to operate in packs like the Buccaneer,  but unlike the Buccaneer you will need another fighter Sabre or (S)Hornet.

Heavy fighter should either be a tanker with slow movement or fast moving light armour and high dps. I know there are more ways, but just going for two at the most basic way.

You will need "skills" and I don't mean ingame skills, but real life skill for using this hurricane.

High skill means they have screwed it up again :D. If it bigger engines or dual TR2 then it would be a very good, still high skill needed though.

I don't understand what you mean the "Buccaneer isn't a solo pilot... you can't solo it and hope to make money or even survive."

The Bucc is a single-crew fighter, unlike the Hurricane, which has a manned turret. Supposedly the Hurricane's turret is controllable by the pilot, like the Super Hornet, so it will be possible to solo a Hurricane. Why wouldn't a Bucc be solo-able?

If you mean that a Bucc is only good for attacking, but can't make any money from looting or salvaging because it has no cargo capacity, the Bucc should still be able to make money. A player can accept missions to eliminate Vanduul or NPC pirates and earn money that way. A player could use the Bucc for bounty hunting and earn money from "wanted dead or alive" warrants. There could also be NPC Pirate-generated missions that Pirate Buccs can perform for money.

Of course, a Bucc working with other ships, like a Cutlass or Caterpillar, will be able to perform a wider assortment of missions, such as attacking and/or disabling a transport ship (NPC or player-operated) and looting its cargo.

But I don't understand why you say a Bucc can't solo. I think a Bucc and Hurricane can solo, but it's much smarter to operate in groups, which is true for virtually any ship.

4 hours ago, Caldon said:
  Hide contents

The Hurricane's cockpit looks kind of cramped and claustrophobic next to the Hornet. I like the overall shape of the Hurricane, but I dislike her finer points and stats a lot. Shame.

Some people have referred to the hornets canopy as "Comically Oversized".  I feel like the Hurricane is just right.  IMHO

4X6sSCJ.jpg

6 hours ago, GRIZZ said:

Some people have referred to the hornets canopy as "Comically Oversized".  I feel like the Hurricane is just right.  IMHO

4X6sSCJ.jpg

I never felt like it was oversized, just roomy. Perfect for a spaceship since I think actual claustrophobia would set in even quicker on a spaceship...

Where does this ship stand in speed and maneuverability to other ships?

The Hurricane is faster than it is nimble, designed to rush into trouble, wreck things, and then rush back out to regroup. It was designed with speed and hitting power at the cost of durability. While nimbleness always seems like a nice trait to have, Hurricane drivers have historically noted that giving in to the temptation to engage in a turning dogfight and keeping pace in the middle of the fray does not play to the Hurricane’s strengths. A good-sized boost tank gives it plenty of afterburner to help it scrape its way out of those tougher situations, but it’s for sprinting, not marathons.

Ok, It seems to have far more speed and plenty of boost fuel. However, even though he says that and 1xTR2 is still its source it seems to wrong as of yet the stats for its speed are underwhelming even with boost tbh.

5 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Ok, It seems to have far more speed and plenty of boost fuel. However, even though he says that and 1xTR2 is still its source it seems to wrong as of yet the stats for its speed are underwhelming even with boost tbh.

I agree the stats don't make much sense. Firstly, there's discrepancy between the stat's single TR2 engine and the Hurricane's two main thrusters. I can't believe that there wasn't a question about that, or did CIG choose not to answer it. Second, why does the Hurricane have such a high top speed with a single TR2 when the Gladius has two TR2 engines and the Sabre has two TR3 engines? The Gladius is only 500 kg heavier than the Hurricane, so why wouldn't the Gladius have nearly twice the speed with two TR2s?

The only explanation I can think of is that it's specific to the Hurricane's factory engine. It's tuned for high speed for the Hurricane's boom-&-zoom style of combat. So if the player equipped the Hurricane with a different engine, it would alter the heavy fighter's flight performance. Although, that probably wouldn't be a great idea for the Hurricane, because speed is probably its best defense.

What would be interesting is acquiring a pair of Hurricane engines and installing them in a Gladius. If there's any logical consistency to the ships and engines, two Hurricane engines would give the Gladius an incredible top speed -- maybe turn it into a drag racer.

The weight is just the chassis of the craft. barebones nothing else added, but the Hurricane should we heavier with 6 heavy weapons, even though the gladius has 2x TR2 engines.

However, at least it is officially classes as a fast fighter like I was hoping for. At least the Hurricane looks better than on the first unveiling.

1 hour ago, Devil Khan said:

HurricaneConceptSketch.jpg

This picture looks better, but it's less Anvil-ish and more modern.  Shame though, This was early draft aside from the front vertical fins looks pretty damn good.

That looks damn sexy, but like you said, it's not Anvil. Looks more like Aegis.

Still. I'd have loved this!