Anvil - Hurricane

VoA

Any pictures of the hurricane  yet......    Dig  Dig    find the pic    will it be worthy    ??????

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:36 PM, Donut said:

Hoping it's a big larger than the Vanguard. We need a justifiable reason to spend $250 on a ship

Its only some more money....   at 175.00            2  ea will be a nice  add on for a fleet

IMHO, nearly all ships are over priced and yet I am hypocritical considering the number of ships I have.

The Vanguard is a Heavily shielded long range fighter and two seater with internal rroom. The Hurricane is just a fighter (supposedly) nothing other than cockpit. Also considet the pricing 170-180 Super hornet and Sabre. I could use the standard line of how you could buy the cheapest one. USD $25, and earn the rest in game.

Anyway, USD $175 can be acceptable if it does have enough firepower. however we will wait and see. actually if it is a possible upgrade for a gladius if it has the speed and manuerability of a gladius.

12 hours ago, Chimaera said:

And they stated in the original design docs for the F8 that they were replacing the Hornet and the Gladius with F8s, and the F8 was the first main-line heavy fighter design the UEE was using since ages ago. 

Maybe its the fighter that the UEE had ages ago!

Not what I was expecting, but very nice. Also it is a two seater and 4x instead of 2x weapons on the turret. It looks very smexy

Spoiler

SeKdwrP.jpg

Of course now, The extra seat means 2 seater. I am now kinda deciding If I should upgrade the gladus and add an extra seat for each one or not.

yeah I have noticed the wing tips from the Hornet. Hate them of the Hornet, hate them on the Hurricane.

22 hours ago, Chimaera said:

The Hornet's what the F8 replaced.

Originally, yes, the F8 Lightning was replacing the F7A Military Hornet, but that's been changed. The F8 is classified as a Heavy Fighter, whereas the F7A is a Medium Fighter. Supposedly, according to the lore, the UEE commissioned the F8 heavy fighter to counter the Vanduul Stinger heavy fighter, which looks like it can eat Hornets for breakfast.

Furthermore, CIG has developed the F7A Hornet Mk. II. It doesn't make sense to update the F7A if, according to the lore, it's being phased out of front-line service in favour of the F8, which was the lore backstory.

If the Hurricane is both a heavy fighter and an older starfighter, as rumoured, I believe the lore explanation is that the Hurricane used to be the UEE military's heavy fighter, which was retired from service decades ago because the military didn't need a heavy fighter, but now with the Vanduul resurgence the UEE military desperately needs heavy fighters, so they're introducing the F8 and the retired Hurricanes are being released to the civilian market in hopes that militia forces will adopt them and be better equipped at dealing with Vanduul attacks.

I guess we'll see tomorrow...

The only weapons  under pilot control looks like missiles and dual (gimbal?) nose mounted weapons with the smaller 4x on the turret.

To be honest I see that fighter with a large manned turret really as one with a heavy armor and slower maneuvering rather than a very weak armor and assuming fast movement. It's harder to hit anything in a turret on a fast moving platform/fighter without assisted tracking. Anyway, we should get the first full specs today, then tues/weds we will find out that all are wrong and that the real stats are zero weapons and the things are sparklers :D . Anyway the pic looks good, nothing "fancy" or "wow" factor as of yet.

10 minutes ago, Donut said:

Definitely has some Star Wars influence 

0305676b70d6a88b4efba98940fe22ba.jpg

a-wing.jpg

I have a feeling Mark Hamill had some say in the design. Also The Star Wars fighters use huge vertical fins. The closest the Hurricane has is its wing tips.

Yeaaaaaahh, no the only likeness is that they both fly. The Hurricane has a turret all the ships weapons are located along the center or close to axis.

Just now, Devil Khan said:

Yeaaaaaahh, no the only likeness is that they both fly. The Hurricane has a turret all the ships weapons are located along the center or close to axis.

The shapes and design are very similar. Having weapons placed differently is because of the Anvil design, just like how it uses the Hornet wing tips.

I'll give you that, The wing end looks like it literal stolen from a hornet.

Still she is a beefy lady with 4x S3 on the turret and dual S4 max fixed on the front.

Edit: But there is one thing It looks like it has two engines, but it's doesn't about numbers anywhere and only lists as "Coming soon".

It has waffer thin armour.

Agreed, but that is if you send it alone. If it acts like a support role along side SH or Sabre then it can really do damage.

It really isn't a first ship ever, as it is a mystery as to how fast and maneuverability. It's firepower is great as long as it has a descent power plant and good heating.

You can replace the turret with a gimbal stock made for it no doubt. Like the Tali replace  her 5 turrets with unmanned gimbals

1 hour ago, Nova-Prime said:

How is a heavy fighter selling for $175 vs medium SH at 180????  

looks sexy but it's totally dependent on that manned gunner. I was really hoping for a VG replacement :( 

They're redefining "Heavy" to mean "Heavy Armament", since it appears that this is very much a glass cannon. The Super-H has less armament but better armor. All that said, I am looking forward to seeing how this ship gets rebalanced, along with all the other ships, as dynamics progress. It looks cool, but I'm probably going to skip this one unless I decide to CCU my Bucc.

9 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

They're redefining "Heavy" to mean "Heavy Armament", since it appears that this is very much a glass cannon. The Super-H has less armament but better armor. All that said, I am looking forward to seeing how this ship gets rebalanced, along with all the other ships, as dynamics progress. It looks cool, but I'm probably going to skip this one unless I decide to CCU my Bucc.

I believe it's the usual WW2 guideline: Heavy Fighters were good to hunt big targets ( bombers) but died fast to dogfighters; here it seems it's going in the same direction.

It has waffer thin armour.

Agreed, but that is if you send it alone. If it acts like a support role along side SH or Sabre then it can really do damage.

It really isn't a first ship ever to be "redefined", as it is a mystery as to how fast and maneuverability. It's firepower is great as long as it has a descent power plant and good heating.

You can replace the turret with a gimbal stock made for it no doubt. Like the Tali can replace her 5 turrets with gimbals afaik.

Anyway, got 1 on its own and one with a terrapin. 

53 minutes ago, Riley Egret said:

I believe it's the usual WW2 guideline: Heavy Fighters were good to hunt big targets ( bombers) but died fast to dogfighters; here it seems it's going in the same direction.

Not really. Anvil claims this is a very maneuverable fighter with a heavy armament, but little survivability. Heavy Fighters in WWII could take a beating while being heavily armed. They would be taken down by lighter fighters simply because they were often slower/less maneuverable/ than their counterparts or were outnumbered. In Sci-Fi, heavy fighters often are heavily armed and armored, and trade speed and maneuverability for those traits.  Heavily armed glass cannon hasn't ever been considered as a "heavy fighter" to my knowledge both in Sci-Fi or history, which is why I said it looks like they're redefining it for SC. 

2 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

Not really. Anvil claims this is a very maneuverable fighter with a heavy armament, but little survivability. Heavy Fighters in WWII could take a beating while being heavily armed. They would be taken down by lighter fighters simply because they were often slower/less maneuverable/ than their counterparts or were outnumbered. In Sci-Fi, heavy fighters often are heavily armed and armored, and trade speed and maneuverability for those traits.  Heavily armed glass cannon hasn't ever been considered as a "heavy fighter" to my knowledge both in Sci-Fi or history, which is why I said it looks like they're redefining it for SC. 

Yeah it would be stupid to  have very little armour and very power speed and maneuvering thrusters even a Heavy weapons. Also don't think CIG actually have said "heavy" with this ship apart from original goal. 

I think the Hurricane is the most "video game-y" ship that CIG has ever created, because if this heavy fighter was represented by a ship's Weapons-Shields-Engines power distribution triangle, it would all be directed to weapons at the expense of shields and engines. CIG took that and turned it into a ship.

In lore, it seems like it was designed by a nihilistic crackpot and no flesh-&-blood pilot would want to fly it IRL, because it's a death trap. It might as well be a kamikaze fighter.

I can understand equipping a heavy fighter with 6 size 3 guns, but why equip it with light armour, 2 size1 shield gens, and 2 size1 engines!? It doesn't make sense. I sorta understand it having light armour, because heavier armour would hinder its speed and maneuverability. But why not equip it with tougher shields to compensate for its lack of armour? Or equip it with two Size2 engines to give it greater agility to evade enemy fire?

Perhaps if these were the Second Tevarin War (2603-2610) vintage Hurricanes, I might understand why it was hastily designed that way, because the UEE rushed them into service to counter the Tevarin's phalanx shields. However, the Hurricane's description explains that this heavy fighter is from the late 29th century and was revived to deal with the increasing Vanduul threat. It doesn't make sense that Anvil Aerospace, of all ship manufacturers, would design a glass cannon with such poor survivability. It's the opposite of Anvil Aerospace's ship design philosophy and incongruous with every other ship in Anvil's catalog. The Hurricane seems more like a Vanduul Scythe or Glaive, except not as fast. The only way Anvil could've made the Hurricane "more extreme' (worse) is if they equipped it with all fixed-forward weapon hardpoints, instead of the gimbals and manned turret, then it would've been a Vanduul fighter.

The Hurricane is a starfighter that could only exist in a video game, because death has no real consequence.

I'm certain that the Hurricane will appeal to some Star Citizen players, probably the best dogfighters on the leaderboards -- who don't really need a ship like the Hurricane -- the gunslingers and thrustmasters who can fly circles around you in uncoupled flight while sniping you with ballistics or mass drivers. My prediction is that when the Hurricane is flyable there's going to be resurgence in Uncoupled Turreting: Hurricane pilots will camp in the corner of a map waiting for someone foolish enough to come at them, and they'll get sniped with ballistic alpha-strikes before they can land a shot on the Hurricane.

The Hurricane is a ship that I would never buy unless I flight tested it first, because I'm certain it's a love-it or hate-it design. I've experimented with different starfighters and loadouts, and I've found success with fixed-gun Sabres and Gladius' and gimbal/turret Super Hornets. The Hurricane sounds like it's even less durable than a Sabre or Gladius and not as fast or maneuverable, which is crazy IMO. Fighting in a Hurricane, you might be able to score a few quick kills by ambushing or backstabbing enemy ships, but once the Hurricane has lost the element of surprise an enemy will inevitably get the heavy fighter in its sights and pulverize it. I bet a Sabre or Super Hornet will be able to take down a Hurricane just as quickly and easily as it could do to them. It's purely a matter of who lines up a shot first. I think that luck -- being at the right place at the right time to get a shot at the Hurricane -- will be just as important as skill when dealing with a Hurricane. That's not fun to me. I prefer the Sabre because when equipped with 4 x Size3 guns it can dish out a lot of damage, and if it comes under attack, it can survive several hits, and its fast and agile enough to get out of danger. That's the ship for me.

I don't begrudge anyone for buying the Hurricane -- if you like it, go for it. But I'm certain that the combat style the Hurricane will demand won't appeal to many players. My prediction that a lot of players who buy the Warbond Hurricane are going to melt it after it's flyable, because it's too much of a glass cannon.

7 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Well, tbh I didn't find any mention of superior agility with the Hurricane. I actually agree with STLYoungblood's analysis: with the same size of the SH, half the thrusters and engines and 2/3 of the mass, it will probably handle in a similar way, with small shields and armor.

I suspect survivability comes from the 2xS4 turret ( apparently not slaved, it needs to be manned).

In other words, it's (imho ofc) a good fighter for killing Vanguards, harrassing Hornets even and bigger targets, but dedicated interceptors like the Gladius/Buccanner and I'd say the Sabre will be a royal pain.