Feedback Wanted Star Citizen Wannabe looking for Rig

StarCrusherINC

I am a PS4 moderate gamer looking to replace my seven year old PC.  Now if that PC happens to be able to play Star Citizen I can give this game a shot.  It looks to have everything I ever wanted from a PC game if it is ever released.  The problem I have is not wanting to spend much on the PC itself and no I will not build a PC.  Tried that once and all it lead to was wasted money and lots of cursing.

Will this be able to handle Star Citizen?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=83-102-038#close

If not does anyone have links to pre-built PC's that would be able to handle Star Citizen on medium settings and not cause my wife to murder me through excessive expense?

Star Citizen is being released. Period ;)

- This build should be able to run SC, but at this time SC is not very optimized yet. I run basically the same rig just with a 780 ti. I did the fault in upgrading the rig back when Arena commander was released, if I had spent the same amount on a new rig today it would pay off much better in the final release. 

So if your budget is around $500 you should just wait a little longer 'till the "better" once has dropped in price. You'll get more fps pr $ if you pay the same amount when the game is in beta.

Thanks for the quick reply Nord.

Curious as to your opinion on the actual date SC will be released in full.  2017?  I am guessing it is not happening in 2016.

Also does a joystick help you when dog-fighting?

Any other opinions on the PC are also welcome from the community.  Looking to spend under $700.

I would wait until they announce the exact release date of Squadron 42

Then you can plan when to buy your PC

The above GPU of your link is a bit weak if you wait you get a better one that will make yozu enjoy SC more

Sq42 exact release date might hopefully be published by CIG during Gamescom this week or Citizencon in a month. Not guaranteed though but high probability we know much more after those two events are through

No problem mate!

We can only speculate on the actual date, but its fair to say that we might see a glimt of an beta late 2017 - allthough, tune in to the Gamescon presentation and live stream. It will probably blow your mind. 

Joystick or not, I prefer it, others dont. I like the joystick because it "feels" more realistic.

You could always build a great base with 700, spend more on better hardware such as motherboard,ram, monitor, case,etc. Go super skimp on the GPU and basically build yourself a great new computer for work/school/and maybe games, depending on your GPU of choice. You can then buy a better GPU later(often times for PC gaming enthusiasts=Most expensive part of their computer). I know you do not want to build but remember to factor shipping +labor costs into your budget.

Lastly.....this old man(@Juntau) will have some good advice for you[emoji23][emoji23].

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Star Citizen will be two separate games as mentioned above. The original Squadron 42 was supposed to be the main focus of the crowd funding (and it still is somewhat) but it was split into three episode like releases. Think of Mass Effect as a good example. However there may be more as SQ42 continues being the platform to introduce new features into the Persistent Universe.

A $500 computer won't go long as far as a game of this magnitude goes. If you're gaming at 1080p expect to play on medium settings at best. It's a good start though, just make sure it has lots of RAM and a good CPU, you can always upgrade the graphics later. 

SQ42 Episode 1 is slated for release by the end of the year. We will hopefully be in beta by this time next year for the PU. 

The best bang for your buck I could find is this system here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227507

(Remember, with a PC you can always upgrade later on, video card is the most important in gaming and you should even be able to get High Settings with this)

I'll see if I can dig anything up that would match what you are looking for.

As some others have pointed out, getting an already built together PC is more expensive though obviously. In case you have friends that could help build it together for you, that may even be cheaper, but I'll look into getting an already put together system that is around $700. May have one or two options by tomorrow.

@Calexus@Juntau

I would do as suggested by @Doopsums, build yourself a good foundation(rig) and upgrade the GPU later when it comes to Star Citizen. If you plan to play GPU heavy games in the meanwhile then you might spend a lot on the GPU now rather than later. 

Though i will be honest with you... For around/between 700-800 US Dollars you will not get an amazing that might run SC on Ultra or the like. The reason being that the Graphics card will most likely be half your budget if not more. And then the other components, Windows Licence (if you have none), if you dont know someone or don't have the know-how yourself than the building fees. 

SC is not a good benchmark for computers not now....and not for the forseeable future. You can go pretty cheap and run overwatch great(depending on what great is to you) and still later on keep what you got and upgrade INTO SC when it becomes optimized. UPGRADING is much EASIER than building!

I always say this...

How much do you have to spend and are you willing to build it yourself? Makes all the difference.

If you really want to talk about this and think it through completely you should come find us on teamspeak. I personally will never buy another prebuilt PC, ever. You can get way more for you dollar if you can turn a screwdriver.

I tried some fiddling about and this is what i came up with, well assuming that you're willing to put it together yourself or with the help of someone that knows how. I based this off the mentioned budget of 700 USD and the newegg link provided by you (the OP) as well from scratch (like you have nothing to start off). I could not quite well stay on budget, but i tried to stay as close as i could. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mdky4C

In this i added a basic well working starting kit of peripherals to get you started (should you want it). I didn't add a monitor as that is of a personal preference of each individual. Also there is no SSD included as that would push the bill quite a way above the stated budget. 

If you do not need any of the below mentioned features, than that would save you around 90-100 Dollars. And the price will around 770 USD. (without upgrades later mentioned).

There are a few key points of note though. If you're not ...

1. ... going to overclock, then you can save yourself 20 Dollars on the CPU. And go for an Intel i5-6600 or perhaps even an Intel i5-6500. You can't go wrong with either one.
  2. ... going to need the peripherals (mouse, keyboard and cheap  2.1ch speakerset), this will save you around 75 Dollars give-or-take.

The GPU (Nvidia GTX 750ti) is a well balanced gpu for the price-range of the build, but if you're going to play games like The Witcher or Battlefield and are willing to put some extra money in it, than you can go along with a Nvidia GTX 960 or a Amd Radeon R9 380X from which either one would cost on average 60-80 Dollars extra (give-or-take).

This PSU will allow you to later in time upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 1070/1080 which are quite demanding power-eaters. Though it does not provide room for an SLI/CrossFire setup. In that case i would recommend upgrading to a 650 Wattage or perhaps a 750 Wattage PSU.

Fyi, the gtx 1060 or the radeon 480 are out and at a better price to performance ratio. I can tell you from experience, the 750ti will not run Star Citizen in an acceptable fashion. I know because that's what I put in all 3 builds for my kids. Just saying.

Also, you can build your own pc, it's not hard at all. In fact I had my oldest son at 14 years old assemble his entire rig with just a little guidence. Which you can get from any passionate pc builder or even you tube tutorials. Do be afraid, it's a piece of cake...really!

As mentioned above you get more bang for the buck by building your own. If you are willing to try this (it's something anyone can do if they want) by choosing the correct components listet by our frends here I recommend this video. It is very informative and explains the process and where the different componets are put. 

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  This is one engaged and helpful community.

While I appreciate the advise on building a PC it seems that I should simply wait for a SC capable rig to drop in price.  I think I'm going to hold off until after the new GPU's are released and the holidays are over.  This usually sees a price drop so then maybe I can buy something that will run SC for under $700.  No plans to try VR or really play many other games.  This is more of a household PC that I want to insure will be viable to use for six+ years.  If I could spend a couple hundred more for a GPU to try SC and maybe a couple of other games it was worth a shot.

As an example I purchased a PC seven years ago that was able to handle AAA games from 2008 and earlier but could not handle the latest 2009 games when I purchased it.  It was only $750 and was able to handle everything else until this past year where it is starting to have major slowdown.  FYI My Lenovo has made it seven years with nothing breaking down.  Nothing!  My previous HP had half the motherboard crap out, DVD-RW stop working, then finally the Hard Drive stop spinning all in fewer than four years.

I will stay tuned to the forum for ideas on a rig and thoughts on the game.  I'm guessing if I wait until the new year I will still see the debut of Squadron 42 after my purchase.

13 hours ago, Juntau said:

Fyi, the gtx 1060 or the radeon 480 are out and at a better price to performance ratio. I can tell you from experience, the 750ti will not run Star Citizen in an acceptable fashion. I know because that's what I put in all 3 builds for my kids. Just saying.

Also, you can build your own pc, it's not hard at all. In fact I had my oldest son at 14 years old assemble his entire rig with just a little guidence. Which you can get from any passionate pc builder or even you tube tutorials. Do be afraid, it's a piece of cake...really!

I think this article is a good example.The current DX11 is dominated by Nvidia while the new API of DX12 and Vulkan seems to be dominated by AMD.

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/12/

If what CR said is true and they will bring the game in the DX12/Vulkan API even more good news.

Also you sure can build your own pc, there a lot of passionate ppl here able to assist you and maximize the power/buck.

A basic guide would be this one :http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485172,00.asp

2 hours ago, StarCrusherINC said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  This is one engaged and helpful community.

While I appreciate the advise on building a PC it seems that I should simply wait for a SC capable rig to drop in price.  I think I'm going to hold off until after the new GPU's are released and the holidays are over.  This usually sees a price drop so then maybe I can buy something that will run SC for under $700.  No plans to try VR or really play many other games.  This is more of a household PC that I want to insure will be viable to use for six+ years.  If I could spend a couple hundred more for a GPU to try SC and maybe a couple of other games it was worth a shot.

As an example I purchased a PC seven years ago that was able to handle AAA games from 2008 and earlier but could not handle the latest 2009 games when I purchased it.  It was only $750 and was able to handle everything else until this past year where it is starting to have major slowdown.  FYI My Lenovo has made it seven years with nothing breaking down.  Nothing!  My previous HP had half the motherboard crap out, DVD-RW stop working, then finally the Hard Drive stop spinning all in fewer than four years.

I will stay tuned to the forum for ideas on a rig and thoughts on the game.  I'm guessing if I wait until the new year I will still see the debut of Squadron 42 after my purchase.

An excellent decision. Star Citizen is by no means a good benchmark as, i would rather advice you to look whether you need or want an upgrade for what you use your PC for at this moment. 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it!' 

PS: Keep an eye out on prices and discounts on GPU's and you're pretty much set. As long as you have a decent i5 core processor (3.2 Ghz on stock i would recommend) from Intel, than all your requirements will have been fulfilled. Some good pre-built examples is the one linked by @Donut earlier in this topic (link) or this one. Two out of many of course. Also with plenty of upgrade possibilities further down the road. :) 

3 hours ago, StarCrusherINC said:

This community knows hardware! I remember back when I asked for feedback on my current build.. the thread exploded!

Anyway, good luck with your plans ;) We're looking forward to fly by your side in the Verse!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back with a follow up question.  It has been mentioned to me by a coworker that I should not bother building a PC from scratch but instead look to upgrade my current i7 PC despite the fact it is seven years old.  Here is a link to my PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108569

Does anyone have advise for me on whether or not I should bother trying to upgrade such an old PC?  If possible what would I need to purchase to be able to play SC and keep my PC viable for at least another three years?