Ongoing Discussion Corsair Lapdog

Switch

lapdog_hero.png

I finally got the email that the Lapdog released, price is a little high ($120 - $250) but it does come with a optional mouse and keyboard. I looked at Razers answer to the lap keyboard mouse (Razer Turret) and didn't like it too much and was holding off for this as it seemed wider and more thought was put into "gaming" rather than a "slick profile" like its competitors. 

For anyone confused this is for couch/bed gaming that you put in your lap.:D

Corsair Lapdog

It'll be a bit as I'm not gaming away from my desk as much as I thought but I plan to, I picked up Steam Link and Steam Controller waiting for it and steam controller isn't the easiest to pick up and play so I'd much rather this to relax and play around. It's for sure a future purchase.

This is great for those building platforms for their desk, who want to have everything right in front of them. Is it possible to get the keyboard without the mouse?

I guess you can't. It's too bad they didn't make it fit the K95 either

1 minute ago, Juntau said:

Keyboard and mouse not included, hence the lower price but a decent option.

The Lapdog is $119 by itself. What I linked is still a better option

You're paying $250 for the keyboard and mouse, all of us which already have 

4 hours ago, Donut said:

The Lapdog is $119 by itself. What I linked is still a better option

You're paying $250 for the keyboard and mouse, all of us which already have 

What you linked is a desk, without KB/mouse. Also, price-point is relative to what people are willing to pay. How many of use have thrown hundreds or thousands of dollars at virtual space-ships that haven't even been made in-game yet for a game that hasn't come out? I think this looks pretty badass, and while it may be a bit pricey for me, I would think about it if I had a man-cave for sure!

1 hour ago, Chimaera said:

What you linked is a desk, without KB/mouse. Also, price-point is relative to what people are willing to pay. How many of use have thrown hundreds or thousands of dollars at virtual space-ships that haven't even been made in-game yet for a game that hasn't come out? I think this looks pretty badass, and while it may be a bit pricey for me, I would think about it if I had a man-cave for sure!

The lapdog is also a desk without keyboard/mouse. Its a piece of plastic with some anti-slippery material on it and a couple of USB ports (basically a usb hub with a plank)

Throwing money at star citizen is different. This is donation based. Star citizen needs crowd funding. This lapdog product is not under development and is already a finished product. The fabrication of this product i can bet does not cost them 120 USD per piece. But they know the gaming community is loaded and so many people will happily throw lotsa money at this sort of 'cool' stuff.

18 minutes ago, Rellim said:

The lapdog is also a desk without keyboard/mouse. Its a piece of plastic with some anti-slippery material on it and a couple of USB ports (basically a usb hub with a plank)

Throwing money at star citizen is different. This is donation based. Star citizen needs crowd funding. This lapdog product is not under development and is already a finished product. The fabrication of this product i can bet does not cost them 120 USD per piece. But they know the gaming community is loaded and so many people will happily throw lotsa money at this sort of 'cool' stuff.

It isn't just a tray, it also has the power systems involved. The KB/M combos are the $250 top end that @Switch is referring to. As for the overall annoyance at "gaming" being used to get funds. If people will pay for it, companies will price it that way. It's not the company's fault that gamers are willing to throw money at this stuff, and it's not up to companies to be "above" charging a premium for a product that people will buy. It's just like Apple/MAC, Lamborghini, Bentley, Sony, and other over-priced sale items. You pay more for the name/brand/idea than for the actual product. If companies didn't do markups, they wouldn't be able to make sales, profits, expand, pay salaries, etc...

You also missed the point I was making about Star Citizen. I'm saying that people purchase SC ships for any number of reasons, and people like to complain that many of the ships get overpriced based off of "promised features", and etc... but it's up to gamers to decide if they want to purchase a SC ship, just like they can decide if they want to purchase a lapdog +/- the KB/Mouse.

Now, let's get this topic back on track (the topic isn't whether it's overpriced). I think it looks cool, but I'm never in a situation where I think I'd need it. When comparing it to the turret, I am not a huge fan of the turret because it looks more fragile to me. It has the functions all built in for one price, which is cool, but I like the idea of having a dedicated lap desk with plug ins for different peripherals, as well as a lot of space to fit different KB/Mouse combos.

4 hours ago, Switch said:

Agree, my Keyboard normally slips of lap trays I've owned in the past so setting it inside the "LapDog" is a nifty feature and the amount of space you have for your mouse is really nice.

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpg?w=550&c=1

Unfortunately it's only compatible for their keyboards without a numb pad, so it's proprietary product for only use with their own products. It's cool, and you can probably modify it, but worth $120? Value is in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

5 hours ago, Donut said:

Unfortunately it's only compatible for their keyboards without a numb pad, so it's proprietary product for only use with their own products. It's cool, and you can probably modify it, but worth $120? Value is in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

More money for them. If it was universally compatible I would like it more.

Also, discussing the price of this product IS on-topic, whether or not you like to.