CIVILIZATION VI

Face

I really want to see them get this right, after there last game with alien worlds it is as not in the right direction, after being spoiled with stellaruis it's going to be hard for them to really grab my attention :P but that being said have had some great games going on with in Imperium with Civ 5 so with 6 t will be a coin toss, 

I loved Civ V, so I hope this is good as well, specially after the Beyond Earth fiasco. I love the series, but I'm tired of playing V and need a new one. Let's hoe they don't goof this one.

I was a civ III junky.  Like look up from the screen, wonder why my eyes couldn't focus past monitor distance, and try to figure out where the hell the last 12 hours went, junky...Hell, if I could do some simple fixes for the way the AI works(city placement, naval units, upgrading obsolete units, etc), and could stop that horrifying AI turn time late game I'd still play it.

Civ 5 did some decent things, but the turn time was still shit(multi core use please), and why can the AI still not manage a reasonable amphibious operation?  I love playing small continents, but then only I get to be the aggressor, because they're all incompetent.

2 minutes ago, SlickReed said:

I thought that as well. very cartoony looking. I think it will have the same issue at launch as other titles in this genre, why buy a bar bone new edition when the last CIV game has almost 20+ expansions.

Either you're seeing something I'm not, or we have very different definition of cartoonish.

But you are right that the problem with Civ over time has been finding a reason to buy/play a new iteration when the old ones have more content and have been fully modded.  Not a game you generally play for eye candy, only so many changes to city and civ management that you can make before it becomes something unciv, which is why I tend to go back to civ III...and then drop it when the wait between turns gets into the 5 minute territory(Seriously, have the same damn problem with the Total War series, how freaking hard is it to make a game that doesn't hang up on AI turns?)

27 minutes ago, Osclin said:

Either you're seeing something I'm not, or we have very different definition of cartoonish.

But you are right that the problem with Civ over time has been finding a reason to buy/play a new iteration when the old ones have more content and have been fully modded.  Not a game you generally play for eye candy, only so many changes to city and civ management that you can make before it becomes something unciv, which is why I tend to go back to civ III...and then drop it when the wait between turns gets into the 5 minute territory(Seriously, have the same damn problem with the Total War series, how freaking hard is it to make a game that doesn't hang up on AI turns?)

I think not so much cartoonish but the colors they have used seem to be kinda like how everyone has been going with logo / business designs with flatui. I don't mind how it looks tbh but not sure if I will be getting it on day one...

Sorry, I know some of you really like this type of game, but enough is enough. The most boring concept ever. To me, anyway. Outpost is more fun. But, they are making gobs of money for very little effort - I have to applaud that. Sitting around a table with your friends playing Risk or PnP D&D is much more fun.

Just now, Arengorn said:

@Gremlich Some of us don't have friends :nono:

I applaud your admission.

I do wish they would renew the old outpost game so that they could put it into school science programs because the next generation will become our colonists. I think the Civ series would be good for that, too, for history and the directions small nudges can make it go. Educational tools.

1 minute ago, Gremlich said:

I applaud your admission.

I do wish they would renew the old outpost game so that they could put it into school science programs because the next generation will become our colonists. I think the Civ series would be good for that, too, for history and the directions small nudges can make it go. Educational tools.

Did a Civ III mod years ago that I used in my 10th grade government(civics) classroom.  After we'd done the discussion of that week's material, I let the kids spend the last half of every Friday period playing it on the projector.  At first it was just silly games to them, but by the end of the semester, as they saw how decisions made in diplomacy or trade or even just allocation of resources in city management, affected the progress of their civilization, they started to put real thought and effort into discussing each decision for its possible ramifications.  The rule set and variables were still pretty simplistic, and I do wish I'd kept at it to iron out the problems and give it more depth, but it was pretty effective nonethless.

3 hours ago, Shootter said:

I don't know if I want to play it after playing Beyond Earth.

I never played beyond earth, was it that bad?

4 hours ago, Osclin said:

Kind of like what AOE online looks like, animated maybe a better word perhaps.

aoeo_screenshot_96.jpg

CivilizationVI_screenshot_announce3.jpg

Okay, I'll give you cartoony now.  I watched the linked vid and couldn't see where he was coming from, as there were literally no game images from it.  After some looking...yes, different art style.  DOesn't bother me, but it is a change.

I have to say that I REALLY LIKE

- citiespotentially spreading over multiples map tiles

- combined arms expanding the one unit per tile (wanted that in for the civ5 expansions gues they wanted to save that for 6)

on the multiplayer and diplomacy I am very sceptical I dont expect groundbreaking things there their trackrecord isnt exactly great but I would be happy to be surprised

what absolutely scared me though was the screenshots

ss_a79c8fabd12e0f1711ac61486c859656d4cd8

looks a bit like some cheap mobile/facebook or browsergame

awaiting my final verdict though have to see it in motion with someone scrolling over the map

after all the graphics isnt really what matters with Civ

8 hours ago, CyberianK said:

I have to say that I REALLY LIKE

- citiespotentially spreading over multiples map tiles

- combined arms expanding the one unit per tile (wanted that in for the civ5 expansions gues they wanted to save that for 6)

on the multiplayer and diplomacy I am very sceptical I dont expect groundbreaking things there their trackrecord isnt exactly great but I would be happy to be surprised

what absolutely scared me though was the screenshots

ss_a79c8fabd12e0f1711ac61486c859656d4cd8

looks a bit like some cheap mobile/facebook or browsergame

awaiting my final verdict though have to see it in motion with someone scrolling over the map

after all the graphics isnt really what matters with Civ

I am absolutely with you about the cities taking multiple map tiles, they will no longer be the "stack of -" that they were in Civ V.  To me, everything in one tile is too constricting and not strategy-based.  I am fearful of the diplomacy; they say they are making improvements, but they say that every time and it always falls short of being anything other than a window to let you know you are f*cked if not prepared, or the game telling you that you are a monster, because you conquered one (ONE) city.  And honestly, I prefer the graphics of Civ V compared to this cartoonish looking mobile screenshot.  I feel they took a step back here.

• 3 weeks later...

so the recent video stuff released the graphics is fine...

that original screenshots were very zoomed in actually I think the new style is fine and beautiful I dont have a üproblem with it anymore after seeing tthe video.

And the UI looks VERY polished

here some reddit thread with all the known information so far

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/4ivi8k

Art style is definitely a change from previous titles, but it works for me.  I'm just glad that things look cleaner than some games.  I like nice visuals and complexity where it is needed, but after a while it just gets muddy and plain hard to u se.  I enjoyed playing Endless Legend, that that game was a disaster visually from the top-down view, especially as more boroughs got added to settlements.  Damned frustrating when they wouldn't track enemy/other player movements and then they'd blend into the melange on screen...

I will say, though, the graphics look pretty good from that video.  And I will admit I am really liking the idea of "unstacking" the cities.  It makes playing the terrain more to strategy than just using a single powerful city to fight a defensive fight.  And I am liking what changes they are making to some of the other systems in the game; like city-states, science, and government.  It seems the more information they release about this game, the less I am concerned about the graphics.

• 2 weeks later...