Feedback Wanted Nvidia GTX1080 whats your take on it

Painmiester

3 hours ago, Gremlich said:

aye, the 1070 is shaping up to be an awesome card period, and an awesome value card relative to the 1080.  I want to see how VR performance works out with 2 cards, ie if they actually manage to get it working so each card essentially renders its own eye.  If it works then I'll get 2 1070s, if not, then 1 1080ti.  Either way they're getting custom wc loops and all the overclocking I can manage.

Here's a collection of videos from Gamers Nexus, they experiment with creating their own Hybrid cooler and overclocking. Please note the effect of thermal throttling, also the performance results and his description of the effects of the top end.

Also the power limitation. Great video series. Well worth the thumbs up, so even though they're linked here, I encourage you to head over to youtube and show your love.

Spoiler

And the most important one, as it highlights some of the functionality of the 1080:

@Valenquo, so far my performance seems to have doubled in most cases from my SLI 970s.

I wasn't actually able to completely max out Rise of the Tomb Raider before with my 970s without sacrificing sub 80 FPS, now with a single 1080 I can turn everything up to max and maintain well above 120 fps with a 21:9 aspec ratio.

Doom has seen the biggest jump, I am now able to max everything out and the fps never dips below 140, before I would be lucky to maintaining 70 fps in heavy combat.

GTAV runs pretty much the same the only difference I see if I can max out draw distance without any performance hit.

Witcher 3 runs much better and now able to maintain well over 80 fps at  max settings , although there seems to be a Gsync bug in fullscreen mode where I am getting horrible frame time lag but going to borderless window fixes the problem.

All in all, I am very happy with the upgrade but that's coming from a pair of 970s.

2 hours ago, LiTo said:

Hey @SlickReed,

What's your FPS like in Star Citizen 2.3? 
What resolution do you play at? You mentioned 21:9 do you have a 34" monitor?

Cheers

Hey Lito

I haven't tried 2.3, 2.4 is too buggy to really get a feel about performance. I have a 35" 2560/1080 21:9 144hz monitor. I thought about the X34 but the FPS is capped at 100hz, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

The FTW clock speed has now been announced:

EVGA GTX 1080Graphics Card Part Number Base /
Boost
(Clock)
BIOS Chips Cooler Type Power Type Power Phase Max Power Draw Performance Level Backplate
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 08G-P4-6286 1721 /
2 ACX 3.0 8+8-Pin 10+2 215W Great Yes

And a great review on the Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC was linked on Reddit. The card looks sweet! And it should be in stock (in Norway) next week from the looks of it!

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-republic-of-gamers-strix-gtx-1080-aura-rgb-oc/

7 hours ago, SlickReed said:

Hey Lito

I haven't tried 2.3, 2.4 is too buggy to really get a feel about performance. I have a 35" 2560/1080 21:9 144hz monitor. I thought about the X34 but the FPS is capped at 100hz, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

I see. Well let us know when you do. The alpha client is what it is, it wont compare to a retail version when it comes to performance for quite some time.
I am just curious to hear some ruff numbers. I am sitting on a GTX 780 in a 6 years old computer. I was planning to upgrade after summer. Haven't decided on the gfx card yet.

@LiTo

Just tried 2.3 and 2.4. I can  say I have not seen any increase in performance at all with the 1080 in hangar or at PO in 2.3, 60 to 100 fps in both areas. AC was maxed out at 144 fps just like with my 970s.

In 2.4 FPS is still unable to go over 32 fps in any location in PO. The Hangar how ever runs well over 100 FPS possibly due to the single room compared to multiple rooms in 2.3.

• 3 weeks later...

There was hype and price gouging when I got my 980, but the 1080 seems to have taken it to a new level.  I'm still confused about why Nvidia did a soft launch instead of a hard launch this time.  Anyways, considering the state of the PU right now, I'd definitely wait for 1080 prices to come down to normal before buying one, the benefit isn't there to justify a hasty upgrade.

So the Radeon RX 480 is out and reviewed, and its actually slower than a 390X (but at a lower price too).  Absolutely not a threat to anything performance-wise.  Speculation on whether a GTX 1060 or a Radeon RX 480 will be faster?  If Radeon RX 480 is slower than the GTX 1060, then AMD is in deep do do.

25 minutes ago, Boildown said:

So the Radeon RX 480 is out and reviewed, and its actually slower than a 390X (but at a lower price too).  Absolutely not a threat to anything performance-wise.  Speculation on whether a GTX 1060 or a Radeon RX 480 will be faster?  If Radeon RX 480 is slower than the GTX 1060, then AMD is in deep do do.

It wasn't supposed to be anything but a budget card that runs on DX12. The 1060 I believe will be around $220 and will probably meet or exceed a 970 where as the RX480 barely leveled out with the 970. Supposedly drivers are better for AMD with DX12 but we'll just have to wait and see. Still doesn't change my opinion on getting a 1080ti but it's nice for those here in Imperium who are on a tight budget. 

At the moment I can run SC on medium settings at 40-50fps on a GTX 770m laptop card, so having the best of the best isn't required.

• 1 month later...

So if you find that there is two card the same name but diffrent clock speeds don't pay the bigger price tag unless you don't know how to over clock :P

i just picked up the GTX 1080 ASUS Strix for $100 cheaper then the OC version and just did the OC my self and got higher results

FYI i made results EXPLODED!!!!

Compared my PC over the last 5 years the first upgrade was to processor then the graphic card

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/3936911/fs/6042317/fs/9658900

End results 

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13902676