Feedback Wanted Nvidia GTX1080 whats your take on it

Painmiester

founders edition = reference cards :) a bit more info in the videos 

The best will likely be one from one of the custom coolers MSI,Asus, galaxy
Price seams good tho but im waiting for trusted people to test them :) 

Very very interresting. Bought a 980 Ti at the start of the year... which i am not regretting because it's still a great card.
but I am very curious to see the benchmarks rolling in for these new cards.

What really surprised me are the pricepoints for these, its good to see these aren't going to cost €1000,- or something, though I have a feeling Nvidia will come with a even more powerfull high-end card to compete with these, like they did with the Titan X before, that will be pricier.

Polaris Should "launch" just before Computex ~at the end of the month ( + - )

This rumored press event is said to take place between May 26th and May 31st, with AMD planning to show off Polaris based GPUs with their AIB (Add-in Board) Partners during Computex 2016 in Taipei. This means that we should be seeing Polaris based GPUs from the likes of ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and other GPU manufacturers by this time next month. 

*edit*

AMD's Vega GPU launch has been reportedly moved to October, bringing Vega's release one full quarter earlier than expected. 

Rumors suggest that this GPU is intended to launch within the same timeframe as Battlefield 1, bringing what should be the first HBM 2 powered GPU to the market. 

Previous rumors suggest that AMD's first Vega GPU will have a total of 4096 GCN GPU cores, offering the same GPU core count as AMD's R9 Fury X, but with the efficiency and performance improvements that we will see with AMD's Polaris range of GPUs. 

Edited by Nevermore

I am just glad I kept my GTX 670 for 4 years and can now upgrade to a huge leap like pascal in next few months or end of the year. Looks like waiting has payed off :)

If these new cards can run 4k star citizen and virtual reality if I choose at 60-120fps all on one card with lower power usage, great overclocking ability, high memory and bandwidth....on one single card.....

Then I will get one, just not sure if to wait for the 1080 Ti or 1080 TITAN lol I will probably not get the 1080 titan if they ever release one because they have never been worth the cost and now they have been blown out the water...

I will probably wait though until after summer when the prices will come down hopefully and the non reference card options will be out. I am also not sure 8GB memory will be enough in the next few years so might wait for another card with 12+ GB DDR5X.

I've already purchased a 980Ti as my terminal card inmy current machine, which will be used by my girlfriend later.

When I build a brand new machine near beta/launch, then I'll worry about what is on the market.  I have no intention of switching to the latest and greatest, especially when SC's use of multicore processors is the bottleneck and not the capability of my hardware.

31 minutes ago, Xeen said:

I've already purchased a 980Ti as my terminal card inmy current machine, which will be used by my girlfriend later.

When I build a brand new machine near beta/launch, then I'll worry about what is on the market.  I have no intention of switching to the latest and greatest, especially when SC's use of multicore processors is the bottleneck and not the capability of my hardware.

That's a good point star citizen will be one of the only games out there that CPU is the same or more important than the GPU....

As mentioned above, I too own the 980ti (great card). It runs a little on the hot side but nothing to concerning. 

As far as the new gtx1080 is concerned, the new technology integrated in these cards will allow for greater rendering speeds with less power consumption and lower overall temperatures. I am personally very impressed so far but I think we still need to see how the benchmarks stack. I expect to be blow away!

So the question really is, if you are team green...do you buy one now? Personally I will wait until all the manufactures get their products out and find the one that suits me best. However, the price point for the standard 1080's was a bit surprising. I thought the cards would come in much higher than the $599 for the reference and $699 for the founders edition. 

4 hours ago, TRON said:

That's a good point star citizen will be one of the only games out there that CPU is the same or more important than the GPU....

I am sitting and waiting as well.  I want to see what the demand of the hardware will be before building my new rig.  These new GPUs look promising, just wonder if I can get great CPUs to go along with the new generation of GPUs.

Waiting for benchmarks, UK pricing and non reference designs. Probably an Asus.

Leaning towards a 1080, if the 1070 has similar performance to the 980ti then that would be great and would do nicely but I doubt it. I'm expecting the 1080 to be a little better than the 980ti in normal 1440P gaming and therefor the one to go for.

I'm waiting until next years models are out. I don't need to upgrade yet.

8 hours ago, SlickReed said:

I am looking to upgrade from 970s sli to a 1080 and maybe add another one down the road as needed. I generally try to keep my PC up to date as much as my wallet allows me.

I recommend waiting.

4 minutes ago, SlickReed said:

For benchmarks or in general? 

In general, CPUs and GPUs will all be upgraded this Fall just in time for Xmas, why get something now when you can get it later at possibly a discounted price OR there could be the next best shiny. Your 970s in SLI aren't really even being used atm by SC, so I suggest a wait-and-see attitude. And any other released game doesn't make your GPUs gag. FWiW, I have a single EVGA GTX970 SSC and love it for what I need it to do.

The last thing I worry about is benchmarks. I don't play benchmarks.

I want to see actual benchmarks.  If I can sell my GTX980 for enough, and the 1080 is good enough, I'd upgrade now.  Otherwise I'm going to wait for the 1080Ti, which will probably be the strongest non-Titan GPU when Star Citizen is released.

1 hour ago, Gremlich said:

In general, CPUs and GPUs will all be upgraded this Fall just in time for Xmas, why get something now when you can get it later at possibly a discounted price OR there could be the next best shiny. Your 970s in SLI aren't really even being used atm by SC, so I suggest a wait-and-see attitude. And any other released game doesn't make your GPUs gag. FWiW, I have a single EVGA GTX970 SSC and love it for what I need it to do.

The last thing I worry about is benchmarks. I don't play benchmarks.

Nice points. Ive actually never seen huge discounts enough to warrant me to wait for. I've already upgraded every part of my system except the GPUs recently. I also always sell my last cards to friends or on craigslist to lower the price of my upgrade. So if I upgrade as soon as they launch my upgrade can be at least 3/4 the price its listed as.

14 hours ago, Nevermore said:

Polaris Should "launch" just before Computex ~at the end of the month ( + - )

This rumored press event is said to take place between May 26th and May 31st, with AMD planning to show off Polaris based GPUs with their AIB (Add-in Board) Partners during Computex 2016 in Taipei. This means that we should be seeing Polaris based GPUs from the likes of ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and other GPU manufacturers by this time next month. 

Aye, but what I've heard is that Polaris isn't going to be competing at the high end.  Rather than going head to head with 1080/1070, AMD's first 14nm offerings will be aimed at budget builds and laptop gpus.  Not that this is a bad thing, but since we're talking about the 1080 specifically, mentioning the impending Polaris release doesn't do us any good.  Rather than trying to top their current best(fury x) with polaris, they are apparently looking at best to match the 390x, though at a reduced price.  Vega, sometime in 2017 is when AMD will be shooting for high end gpus, though with that big of an unopposed window the 1070 especially may have secured a shit-ton of the marketshare(just look at how many 970s went before AMD were able to roll out the 3xx cards).

I'm going to hold off for 1080ti, though since I plan on custom watercooling the card(and most waterblocks are made for reference boards), I may end up having to pay $100 extra for a founders card just to get the reference board...

I did build a new system x99 and all cause the old one  craped on its self.

But went with a 970 card to  be able to play the games till Pascal came out. ill get one or two to augment the x99 most likely 2 1080 w the gddr5x in sli should be like 2.8 titans. 

that being said  ill wait3 -8 months  till all the benchmarks come out on the  3rd party stuff. and maybe if they come out with a ti edition.

and to see if anyone comes out with a new cpu setup..

11 hours ago, Osclin said:

Aye, but what I've heard is that Polaris isn't going to be competing at the high end.  Rather than going head to head with 1080/1070, AMD's first 14nm offerings will be aimed at budget builds and laptop gpus.  Not that this is a bad thing, but since we're talking about the 1080 specifically, mentioning the impending Polaris release doesn't do us any good.  Rather than trying to top their current best(fury x) with polaris, they are apparently looking at best to match the 390x, though at a reduced price.  

i would say not to confuse High-end with Enthusiastic. R9 380 to 390x is a high end card as fury an enthusiastic. Still before Christmas will have a more solid view and opinion of the new architecture in both the Pascal and Polaris series.

11 hours ago, JamesFV said:

i would say not to confuse High-end with Enthusiastic. R9 380 to 390x is a high end card as fury an enthusiastic. Still before Christmas will have a more solid view and opinion of the new architecture in both the Pascal and Polaris series.

Don't really buy the semantics, but that is besides the point.  Since the 390x is largely a minor refresh of the 290x, and polaris is looking to be comparable(though with better power consumption an d lower price), it is pretty much impossible for me to get excited or even vaguely interested in AMD before vega.  Nvidia claims the 1070, which I would consider a mid-grade gpu, beats a titan x(grain of salt of course), something the 390x(or polaris performance equivalent) can't do, meaning AMD has ceded any claim to pure performance relevance until vega launches next year.  They'll probably sell quite a few polaris cards, but they've effectively surrendered the high-end market, and as such the highest per-unit profit margin, to nvidia until vega.