Oculus Rift and HTC Vive work with Star Citizen!

GeraldEvans

I'm still on the fence wether I should buy a HTC Vive or not. One of the things holding me back was that Star Citizen doesnt have support yet... but seeing this I'm getting excited. If this works fine for now, I might just drop that 900 euro and get the bloody thing:D

@Donut Star VR is being made for installations like Universal Studios. They're taking their focus away from home users and instead building something much more expensive (and heavy) for shorter term wearing.

@Fizzlefuse The Rift and Vive work fine. I just got my custom FoV to work so I'll put together a video showing the difference. I had a blast yesterday taking my Xi'an Scout through the first ten waves of Vanduul Swarm solo.

Being from Romania sucks... I want to buy oculus but my country is not on the shipping list [emoji20]

You should have someone else ship it to you.

@AdmiralBoom you don't have to walk around. I sit in my gaming cockpit and use a HOTAS mouse and gamepad.

@Fizzlefuse, yeah I don't know a way to use the mouse for flying while using the Rift / Vive. I'd say it's time for a pair of T1600. That way you can go double stick :)

43 minutes ago, AdmiralBoom said:

I am interested in the Vive with SC, I wonder if I can use it with just keyboard and mouse still so I dont have to actually walk around my giant Orion

I don't see a reason why that wouldn't be a option. I will most likely use a HOTAS for flight and a controller for FPS gameplay.
Just because the Vive has roomscale doesn't mean you can't sit down and control your movement with a controller/keyboard and mouse

6 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

You should have someone else ship it to you.

@AdmiralBoom you don't have to walk around. I sit in my gaming cockpit and use a HOTAS mouse and gamepad.

@Fizzlefuse, yeah I don't know a way to use the mouse for flying while using the Rift / Vive. I'd say it's time for a pair of T1600. That way you can go double stick :)

Im actually waiting for the T16000 FCS Hotas to be released next month.
Although, if I go for the Vive I might just have to wait another month to recover the damage my wallet took.
With shipping it will cost me 950 euros, which honestly is quite a lot.

If I want to get Star Citizen working with it right now, it will cost me another 40 euros for VorpX.

Indeed. I'm hoping to play with the Touch controllers for fps. It should be a lot of fun. And if combat is as little of the game as it should be, it won't be tiring to hold.

Boom, you're right down the road. Just come check it out.

@Fizzlefuse Yeah, that is the downside to it.  If you can wait for full implementation there's no reason to jump on now.  I just couldn't wait.  I built my first PC in fifteen years and pledged for SC specifically to play this in VR.

1 hour ago, GeraldEvans said:

@Fizzlefuse Yeah, that is the downside to it.  If you can wait for full implementation there's no reason to jump on now.  I just couldn't wait.  I built my first PC in fifteen years and pledged for SC specifically to play this in VR.

Right there with you. I also just built my first gaming pc with vr in mind. I might just take the plunge but the problem is the tech is so new, there's nowhere locally I can try it out.

I'm in the DC area but no need to try it out, thanks.  Decision is made and budget set.  I'm just waiting for the Kaby Lake CPUs (to decide between them and hopefully cheaper Skylakes) and for the OEMs to get their modified GPUs to market and will then assemble a beastly machine specifically for VR.  Then, I will get a Vive though I may wait for a Vive II or Vive+ or whatever they come out with next year if I am close.  I don't mind getting something that will be replaced in 6 months or something since I have family that will kill for a VR set now.  But, I don't want to pay top dollar and then having something much better come out the next month.

Also, think Vive with Voice Attack.  As someone who plans to mostly drive corvette sized ships, this really appeals to me.

The big debate I have right now is if I should ditch my Obutto cockpit.  It is extremely comfortable and very immersive but takes up more room than I want since I am down sizing my house.  I am thinking a sit/stand desk might be better for a Vive to better facilitate a varied gameplay.  Combine that with some hotas mounts and I think I'd be good.

I have a r3volution with a triple monitor and all the other adapters and it's great.  It is about 6'x6' fully set up.  The main reason I would look to ditch it would be to open up floor space for the vive.  That said, playing Elite in it with a hotas was extremely immersive.  It really felt like I was in a cockpit.  A good VR setup like a vive would be awesome.

The ONLY reason I question it is that I am about to give up my 15'x20' rec room/office to a shared office/guest bedroom.  If people have the room and are really into simulations (flight or driving), I highly recommend it.  It also works well as an ergonomic desk.  I have sat comfortably in it for 6+ hours straight without even realizing it.

The ultimate setup for me would be a r3volution, hotas, voice attack and VR.  Without something to provide movement, I think that is the ultimate immersive setup.  Losing any of those is a compromise of some sort.

11 hours ago, Squirrel said:

The big debate I have right now is if I should ditch my Obutto cockpit.  It is extremely comfortable and very immersive but takes up more room than I want since I am down sizing my house.  I am thinking a sit/stand desk might be better for a Vive to better facilitate a varied gameplay.  Combine that with some hotas mounts and I think I'd be good.

I bought a affordable sit/stand desk at IKEA called SKARSTA and I'm quite happy with it.
It doesn't take much space and has a manual crank to raise or lower the desk that slides back under the desk when you dont use it.

I had my eye on the same HOTAS mounts but they will have to wait untill I decide what HOTAS to purchase, the new Thrustmaster HOTAS will likely be out next month.

Once I saw the sit/stand desk from Ikea, I knew that an affordable option existed there.  I'm not entirely sold on it yet and will look around when ready.  But, knowing that I have a 'fall back' to rely on really helps.

I'm waiting on the 16000m hotas to come out and look at it vs. the SC branded ones.  While I have an x-52 that has been OK for me, the large numbers of reports about Saitek QA issues disappoint me as a manufacturer and I think that was more driven on customized keyboard/mouse than hotas (my personal suspicion).  But, the hotas was something that I felt instinctive with quickly and developed muscle memory within a few days and no longer had to translate "slide port" to "move left thumb hat left".  I just can't imagine how immersive a good VR rig is going to make a game like SC.

11 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

Have you considered the twin Warthog stick option?

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

I'm waiting on the 16000m hotas to come out and look at it vs. the SC branded ones.  While I have an x-52 that has been OK for me, the large numbers of reports about Saitek QA issues disappoint me as a manufacturer and I think that was more driven on customized keyboard/mouse than hotas (my personal suspicion).  But, the hotas was something that I felt instinctive with quickly and developed muscle memory within a few days and no longer had to translate "slide port" to "move left thumb hat left".  I just can't imagine how immersive a good VR rig is going to make a game like SC.

I don't know what it is but I'm kind of hooked on the idea of having a throttle. The reason I haven't bought a HOTAS yet is precisely what you just said; there are too many complaints about Saitek/MadCatz to get one of those. Which is a shame because I was looking forward to the X56 untill the reviews came out and tore it a new butthole... and I'm afraid for the Star Citizen branded ones.

The Warthog HOTAS does look really nice, I've been hearing good things about it.. but is really expensive.

I hope to, at one point, play Star Citizen with VR, using a HOTAS and VoiceAttack.
That, to me, seems like the most immersive experience.