Game of Thrones

Gallitin

There's been enough signs or even confirmations already that we get lots of amazing stuff this season that make Asoiaf fans wet their pants. I won't mention what exactly and please don't either no spoilers. But it will be amazing.

That said I don't like everything the show creators do for example the whole Dorne plot last season was a fail due to cheesy choices but at least it seems they are realizing that and probably reacting to that.

9 minutes ago, CyberianK said:

That said I don't like everything the show creators do for example the whole Dorne plot last season was a fail due to cheesy choices but at least it seems they are realizing that and probably reacting to that.

How so?  I'm relatively new to Game of Thrones, been binge watching and have 3 episodes left in season 5 before I can watch the season 6 premier.

2 hours ago, Gallitin said:

How so?  I'm relatively new to Game of Thrones, been binge watching and have 3 episodes left in season 5 before I can watch the season 6 premier.

finish watching GoT first

light Spoilers Season 5

Spoiler

The whole Sand Snakes were imho ridiculous and the script for them was very weak. Example is the Scene in the prison with Bronn and Tyene Sand but you can look at almost all the scenes where they are featured if you focus on their performance and their lines. Imho the actors are not on par with the high quality of the other female cast of the show. It might not be their fault could be due to bad writing or directing or the environment and missing buildup. Then you have very bad action sequences like the big fight scene. There's part of this big american Assassin+Whip+Poison Harlequin fetish that when poorly made is just plain ridiculous reminding me of aspects of Assassins Creed and bad movies like the Mummy and consorts. 

Then on the other hand they are wasting a perfectly good actor like Alexander Siddig. This is not a male - female thing I like the female badassery of GoT and my fav chars in the series are female like Cersei and Arya (not so much Khaleesi but the actress is awesome I don't like the Char). The sand snakes are doing that a disservice though with cheesy lines and bad acting and bad costumes and bad whip action and cheap tv tropes. Its still GoT so its not that bad its only bad in relation to the rest and it could have been done way better.

see also

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/05/22/razors-rant-bored-spent-broken-the-sad-portrayal-of-the-sand-snakes/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/05/24/game-of-thrones-biggest-problem-isnt-the-boltons-its-dorne/#19e10ce9602b

edit: plus this (don't watch if you haven't watched season 5) 

Harder to do any spoilers as far as it goes. They have gone off the book with a lot of items, so even if you read them a few times like I have, you will not know where things will end up.

They have a cash cow here and they know it, so I imagine any deviations from the book are given due consideration.

To me, some of the deviations make for a better story, so lah dee dah... - DRUM out

45 minutes ago, Drum said:

Harder to do any spoilers as far as it goes. They have gone off the book with a lot of items, so even if you read them a few times like I have, you will not know where things will end up.

They have a cash cow here and they know it, so I imagine any deviations from the book are given due consideration.

To me, some of the deviations make for a better story, so lah dee dah... - DRUM out

Agree show and books are just two totally different beasts like it should be.

There have been big deviations last season and there will be massive deviations this season. In seasons 1-4 most of the deviations have just been plots/chars completely scrapped or aspects of chars/plots merged into other existing ones. Them being so careful is why the show has been praised for being so faithful while still having courage to change stuff where required for TV reasons and improving the experience.

Most of the show deviations I really enjoyed like the Sansa/Brienne/Davos/Bronn and its obvious why they do it they have something going there. Some other directions I am not so happy with like Stannis and Dorne. There might some tiny danger of a George Lucas hubris effect with the show being praised too much and the producers becoming sloppy or too bold and going crazy and lazy near the end. Lets hope Dorne season 5 was no early indicator for that so hopefully they can keep up the high quality of the show until season 8 finale. 

8 minutes ago, danredda said:

1000 times this.

Also I hate waiting a week to know what happens next :/

I make a prophecy that the climax of what happens in Castle Black currently has to wait for episode 3 mainly because of its released title 

Spoiler

"Oathbreaker" and all the implications that has ... also they need some time to reintroduce us to Bran and potentially Greyjoy unless they wait with that

could be BS of course we are in totally unknown territory with the show

11 hours ago, Gallitin said:

Anyone watch the premier last night?  I still haven't had time to see it, but been hearing it's getting a lot of buzz. Like it?

Ya I watched it (recorded it and watched it later).   What I really appreciate about the series is that they continue not only major story / plot arcs but also play up and continue minor ones = example of this - is watch the "previously on" segment at the beginning - they recap some of the minor story arcs they have been cultivating. :)

10 hours ago, Gallitin said:

If you have it On Demand or can watch it later - I would suggest not skipping ahead (you miss the nuances on how the plots develop if you do so)...

On 29.4.2016 at 7:16 PM, Irres said:

I liked everything but the last 3 minutes. :)  That was creepy.

creepy is good

but imho it was a little bit underwhelming, I thought they'd do it in some more clever or spectacular way

the character interaction with Davos and M. was good though and thats the most important part of the show anyway

They wanted it underwhelming so people would be feeling like it wasn't going to happen...at least the way most bloggers suspected. I can see D and M growing closer, not out of love but out of need, they no longer have anyone else! Cant wait for the big reveal next week, should play out, on screen, really cool.

AstroJak

33 minutes ago, AstroJak said:

They wanted it underwhelming so people would be feeling like it wasn't going to happen...at least the way most bloggers suspected. I can see D and M growing closer, not out of love but out of need, they no longer have anyone else! Cant wait for the big reveal next week, should play out, on screen, really cool.

AstroJak

agree... you mean ToJ right (or A+B=C)? thought the beginning flashback part was very nice

16 minutes ago, BryGen said:

at end of last nights episode. Had a feeling it would play out like that.

Spoiler

I actually thought it would happen in Episode 3 instead because of the title of the third episode "Oathbreaker" and what it implies but I was stupid of not thinking about them always doing those WTF moments at the end of the episode so the real stuff going on will still be in episode 3

agree... you mean ToJ right (or A+B=C)? thought the beginning flashback part was very nice

I believe that A+B=c scenario will be the best and most like direction leading up to the reuniting of the last two Targarions and their final conquest over the dead and eventual rule over the 7 kingdoms.

Im thinking this will happen in a final season 8. HBO doesn't typically let even successful shows go past 7 seasons but i cant see GOT getting things wrapped in 1-1/2 seasons.

AJ

AstroJak

3 hours ago, Gallitin said:

Caught up last night, pretty good thus far.  The only thing I regret is being caught up on the show.  Before I'd binge watch 2-3 episodes in a night and if I wanted to see more I'd just start another, now I have to play the waiting game like the rest of you :)

The worst part is when a season ends, and you have to wait a whole year to find out what happens next. Especially now that the show is at/past the books.