MISC - Prospector (Mining Ship)

VoA

RTV Just now...

11:45

- Ben Clarifies that the Orion Reference in the Prospector post has to do with the Orion Variant already sold (the Orion will apparently come with different variants and the one they sold us is the one that has a built in refinery) - other Orion Variants (not sold yet) will not have the built in Refinery.

1 minute ago, VoA said:

RTV Just now...

- Ben Clarifies that the Orion Reference in the Prospector post has to do with the Orion Variant already sold (the Orion will apparently come with different variants and the one they sold us is the one that has a built in refinery) - other Orion Variants (not sold yet) will not have the built in Refinery.

Yeah noticed that in the post for the Prospector, talk about Orion variants, so was curious about that but looks like they cleared it up some on RtV.

Honestly this ship is perfect for the player who has an irregular gaming schedule.  They can come on their own time, mine and still contribute:

The Prospector is more of a precision tool for a solo player to target resource pockets directly, whereas the Orion requires a full team to grind their way through an asteroid field.

It is able to break up and destroy asteroids and, with the correct variant, process the minerals on board

I'll be eagerly waiting for the refinery variant :-D

1 hour ago, VoA said:

I wonder if they broke the "Penultimate Ship" rule that only the Large Industrial Ships have on-board refining operations - it seems to me like the Prospector actually refines ore and spits out the waste as part of its internal system.... what do you think?

The variants could differ based on different attributes i.e. there will always be a catch, for example:

- Version 1 - with a refinery but reduced capacity/mining speed.

- Version 2 - one with a large capacity but no refinery and reduced mining speed.

- Version 3 - one with a relatively fast mining speed, but with standard cargo capacity and no refinery.

The sensors on the Prospector would operate on a smaller, more detailed scale.

YES! This is what I've been looking for... mining on a smaller scale with a smaller signature.  If I was leading a mining op. I'd rather have 5-10 Prospectors working in unison with a Hull B/C rather than a couple of Orions.

It was intended that everything was handled from the cockpit

This is a great design choice.  You can pack up as quickly as you arrived and leave at any sign of danger.  Although I would've preferred a rear turret and freelancer-style gimballed side weapons, but I'd trade that for the mobility.

23 minutes ago, Nova-Prime said:

So... Coincidence or planned numbers. One Hull-B (384 SCU), can off- load 3 Prospect (128 SCU) loads worth. 

Beautiful design. Perfect for my solo plays when everyone's at work/school/excuse. :D

I think the Prospector is 8x (eight replenishing bags) = 8x 128 SCU = 1024 SCU worth of "bagged" ore

----

On another note here is STL's vid...

6 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

It's physically much smaller than a HULL B. How could it hold so much more?

It would have to drop bags/containers before it could load up more, but potentially could fill up to 32 bags before it ran out. If its 8 containers per slot. Might be 8 containers per ship or side, not sure.

• Selling or Dropping – The Prospector is quite unique in that it can either take a full load of resources back to a station or refinery for selling, or it can drop the cargo on the spot and begin to fill one of the collapsed storage crates it has in reserve. This makes it very good for working in unison with other Prospectors and cargo haulers.MISC_Prospector_Storage.jpg

On a side note; with regards to what we are seeing on this latest ship concept, it looks so far along the the ship pipeline, i would guess it could be hanger ready "Soon"(TM). Now "Soon"(TM) for CIG might be in 2-6 months but i feel they have streamed lined their ship pipeline so much so, that many of these new concepts are presented in a more completed state than those in past years.

AJ

5 minutes ago, Irres said:

$140 seems like a lot for this ship

The Prospector, like a Starfarer, is a primary industry ship, which means it extracts and collects natural resources... for free. There are no mining permits or land leases in space mining; as a Miner, you simply find a lode of resources, set the Prospector down, fire up the laser drill, and start pulling money out of the dirt. The Prospector essentially makes money.

The Prospector is roughly the size of a Freelancer and $30 more expensive, but packs a lot of equipment into its hull -- way more than a DUR, MAX, or MIS. I don't always agree with CIG's pricing (i.e. the $250 Vanguard), however IMO $140 is a reasonable price for the Prospector. CIG has a habit of under-pricing Industrial and Mercantile type ships, because they're not as "sexy" as combat ships. Later, CIG adjusts the price to reflect the ship's true value in the Persistent Universe. So I expect, like the Starfarer, the Prospector's price will jump up when it's hangar/flight ready; it'll probably be at least $200. It's definitely a smart idea to buy the Prospector now than wait and regret it later.

Just now, Morgenroete said:

Love this ship!

Yep, love it! This ship will be a great little earner.

The way I read it is that this ship comes with 8 containers. Ship has four attached at any one time. As you swap out your first four full ones they are replaced with your 4 spares. That means that as long as you have a hauler with you or enough spare containers you can mine indefinitely resources permitting of course.

2 hours ago, VoA said:

RTV Just now...

They usually answer my questions when I ask. Just takes some spamming. :D

21 minutes ago, GalYurr said:

An Idris with Prospectors inside could be a nice alternate PvE mining setup for the cap ship hehe.  Idris lands, serving as a drop off point for full containers.  Then all aboard again and back home. :]

They'd be like manned mining drones.

I'm thinking about the same thing. Hopefully we will be able to land a couple of the little miners inside the Idris.

7 hours ago, Trophias said:

From what I've read on it and I'm hoping once the Q & A's come out, it does touch on that more. I think it is just a filtration system to where you are gathering the specific ORE such as "Cobalt" and not just "Rubble". If it actually does what "refining" actually means, then it will be interesting, but I thought the Orion was supposed to be covering that point.

I am puzzled. I sincerely hope that the orion cannot fully refine minerals as that is the job of planet side refineries. I hope what this means is that the prospector will filter out just rock bits and keep the rock and ore bits while the Orion will be able to separate the ore from the rock, even if it is on the same piece. This could lead to some illegal activity involving players trying to pass low density ore for highly concentrated stuff.