Will Star Citizen Launch This Year?

TaskuOkami

i agree, at best i imagine to see a few missions deep of sq42. as far as what it would take to get it to release in full this year ? there is nothing anyone could do. games take time, no matter the budget or amount of people. the more complex, the more money and people required. i guess the only way to see sc released this year, would be chris releasing an unfinished star citizen 3000 cruiser game.

Someone at CIG (not the community team) said thst SQ42 would be content-complete by June/July. The features have been locked in for months already, they just need to be implemented. They need to do one more MOCAP to get missing and added scenes in ($$ ouch) and then they have all the stations, ships, guns, whatever to make the game, the animations for cutscenes, and clear map for features.

I'm hoping they mess with the flight model (add main engines in dear goodness please), and they'll have to get missiles, ballistic/energy weapon balance, armor, and hull penetration in. This is stuff they've really struggled with so far and they best get AC fixed up and doing useful player testing if they're going to make SQ42 playable.

7 hours ago, TaskuOkami said:

Will Star Citizen launch this year? What could hold them back? what could make it a possibility? 

The PU will most likely reach a final Alpha stage or early Beta stage. However, SQ42 will (We can only hope) most likely be out by the end of this year.

What could hold them back is Chris Roberts's perfectionist tendencies. Which, in my opinion, is not a bad thing. I knew buying my package that this was going to be the ultimate form of a Chris Roberts game and as such, it is going to take as much time as needed to achieve his dream or close to it.

What could make it more possible to have it out (I won't say this year) sooner is if there aren't any serious issues that arise in testing what they release.

if chris wants to hit a special splash, he could always release the game about the time of a star wars movie release. it would make sense to take advantage of strong ticket sales that are putting peoples mind into space themed plots. a good strong t.v. ad push during the same time that star wars is pumping out it's trailers would be a recipe for success .

No. Star Citizen isn't coming out this year. That's for sure.
But SQ42 is.

The big difference here is that CIG committed to a SQ42 2016 release. So much so that they even put the release year on SQ42 trailer.

CIG is obviously not telling everything but there is no bigger clue than their Gamescom plans for this year. 
Unlike other years, this year their main focus is on Gamescom show floor.

I am not so sure about Sq42 either. Just with general mechanics in many areas they still need a lot of polishing. I am ready for it dropping this year but I am 50/50 if it will happen.

Chris Roberts has very high standards and we also have it in writing by Erin Roberts that Sq42 will be fully polished and not some buggy mess that has to be patched for months to be playable. So I could totally see him dropping some amazing content on us at CitizenCon that makes everyone happy but not giving a specific release date. Basically something like what happened with Arena Commander release everyone expecting it to be any month and then it dragging well into next year.

Lets hope they got some near gold status Sq42 build behind doors and that's possible but from what I am seeing I am on the fence as said 50/50.

I think that, at best, SQ42 would be released at the end of this year, but likely we'll see the game somewhere early next year. CIG painted themselves in a corner somewhat with the sq42 trailer saying 2016, but as we know CIG has no problem delaying things when it doesnt have the polish they want it to have.

As for a more.. finished version of the PU, we'll likely move to a beta version next year.

No corners needed, a single player game is much easier to deliver than a MMO.

SQ42 will certainly release Episode 1 before the end with more episodes to follow. While I agree that a none release this year for SQ42 would seriously damage the credibility of CIG and Chris Roberts, I'm confident they were aware of this when they put 2016 in the trailer and that Episode 1 is basically done barring some polishing and asset implementation.

With that, there are some serious tech hurdles to overcome for a "BETA" release of Star Citizen proper. As it stands I think we will see major updates to the "Alpha" this year and through a good majority of the following year. The game will not go "Beta" until the back end can support MMO gaming and no one knows at this point how long that will take. I am however hoping for a late 2017 "Beta" just to keep myself optimistic.

14 hours ago, TaskuOkami said:

Ive got a sneaking suspicion that they are keeping more things behind the scenes. No evidence to support my claim, just a feeling. Anyone else feeling the same?

Well you can rest assured that almost all of the content is being kept secret. Ships, levels etc. Mechanics are harder to keep secret as they appear in SC but I cant image how many big mechanics we will see in SQ42. I mean we aren't likely to be trading, mining etc. There's going to be flying, fps and we may see refuelling but it will be heavily scripted and controlled.

I'm confident SQ42 will be in a very advanced stage by the end of the year. Launch though? Who knows.

No way Star Citizen could be classed as launch ready by the end of the year though. We will likely have a bunch more ships, nailed down fps, more landing zones, persistence, customizations, shopping, refuelling, mining, trading and maybe some more mechanics but the Galaxy wont nearly be ready and the networking/instancing and planetary landings could easily still be in progress.

The interesting information we got from Erin Roberts is that Foundry 42 will move straight on to Episode 2 of SQ42 once it is released. Makes you wonder how much resources SC will get....I allways assumed completion of SQ42 would free resources for SC, I guess it still will but to a lesser/temporary extent.

On 04/04/2016 at 7:25 PM, Minted said:

Well you can rest assured that almost all of the content is being kept secret. Ships, levels etc. Mechanics are harder to keep secret as they appear in SC but I cant image how many big mechanics we will see in SQ42. I mean we aren't likely to be trading, mining etc. There's going to be flying, fps and we may see refuelling but it will be heavily scripted and controlled.

I'm confident SQ42 will be in a very advanced stage by the end of the year. Launch though? Who knows.

No way Star Citizen could be classed as launch ready by the end of the year though. We will likely have a bunch more ships, nailed down fps, more landing zones, persistence, customizations, shopping, refuelling, mining, trading and maybe some more mechanics but the Galaxy wont nearly be ready and the networking/instancing and planetary landings could easily still be in progress.

The interesting information we got from Erin Roberts is that Foundry 42 will move straight on to Episode 2 of SQ42 once it is released. Makes you wonder how much resources SC will get....I allways assumed completion of SQ42 would free resources for SC, I guess it still will but to a lesser/temporary extent.

I think this is quite accurate for release assumptions.

Indeed, SQ42 doesn't require that much tech from server side, unless they plan something we don't know about.

As for SC, I agree as well. There is a lot of extra tech that needs to get in place.

I'm really looking forward to this! What I can say is: my gf is going to kill me!