Gameplay Curiosity - non combat roles and questions

Frosty Equinox

My hype is renewed, as does often happen ;) (or it never vanished ... lol) ---- anyway I was wondering about the following :)

Does anyone see themselves trying the following game play - or are hoping that this is possible in game? (because I am hoping)

Serving as a crew member on an MISC Endeavor but basically as the role that uses the stations not any space interaction (aka no gunner or pilot or engineer seats) - and then just walking around the ship and enjoying the views when not 'working' - all while the captain and other crew on the ship (that you may not know or even interact with) just go about their business. - Not really caring what the destination is - just enjoying the beauty of the views while the endevour is being flown around. ???

It's hard to explain, but when I'm not captaining a vessel I would love to just walk around a large ship and use the equipment as I want (think Endeavor doctor station/research station/agricultural station) - while it's going where ever it's being flown and just feeling like i'm living on a space ship :D etc. --- thats about the best I can explain I'm afraid!

What other roles do we know are going to be available?

I can see, Pilot, Gunner, Engineer, Miner operator,  --- I'm very curios to know what other roles there will be on the larger ships (the ones with at least 10 stations - idris and such - what do we know so far? and what do we think)

(Thats it for now - I forgot my other questions been awake too long haha)

I think the whole "crewman" job role will be heavily reliant on what CIG gives us.

I suspect that unless you are part of a regular crew who play together regularly and at the same time it might be a struggle to be a crewman for random human captains.

Unless...

1. CIG implements a robust job system that easily allows captains to advertise positions, crewman to find these jobs and for there to be enough crewmen available to meet the demand.
  2. We have both NPC captains offering jobs and also npc crewmen looking for jobs.

If we don't have the above then crewing ships will struggle outside of orgs and regular crews.

Its one of many many areas which CIG will no doubt look at. Here's hoping they deem it as a priority.

But yeh if CIG does push ahead with the large NPC base then simply traveling about on whatever ship takes your fancy (Banu, Endeavour etc) could be a real possibility. Its certainly something that interests me for those times when your after abit of "solo" play.

I am totally agreeing to @Minted point here. In my opinion it will probably be very difficult for random groups to work together in an efficient way. Because of that I assume that it is likely that the majority of unorganized players don't want to get into the hassle of that all or stop trying after a few unsuccessful attempts and do their solo thing with NPCs instead. That's were the advantage of an organized group or org comes in because you got guys you can count on and probably have established standards on how to work with each other both regarding tactics but also and sometimes more important just are more likely to get along with each other. 

But there's also dangers in the whole approach in how grouping and multicrew are balanced against solo and how instancing works. There is a possibility because of the bigger share of players who really want to use their ship solo with NPCs that CIG has to cater to that crowd in some way with a danger of making the whole multicrew experience maybe still fun but pointless from an efficiency perspective.

Then there is the other extreme where because of grouping maybe if the instancing works in a certain way where you can deploy a number of experienced players in a more "narrow front" by using multicrew ships with many player crew on it. If it is a valid thing really depends on many parameters and I really could see it going both ways.

Sorry for being slightly offtopic here this is about noncombat roles. Truth is I don't have much to say on this because yes we have heard lots of broad concepts stuff that CIG wants to do and all of these sound awesome but we have yet to see the first rough implementation of an actual noncombat role. And then there is the matter of schedule how many of these roles are they able to finish and get into a polished working state in the next lets say 3 years?

I really would like to see some more specifics of mining as maybe the first example with actual rough ingame material. Hopefully we have a chance of getting that with them working on that new small mining ship for example.

I would love to help run a capital ship and while I can see the fun in just leisurely checking out the ship as it runs I would like to have a role vital to combat, operating torpedo bay, shield monitoring etc.

CIC Communications Officer.
For a pilot, spotting and keeping eyes on the target is necessary.
You can't be alt-tabbed out to look up or record information.
I think Comms Officer will be a very valuable non-combat role.

I don't know how this would integrate in-game,
but someone TeamSpeak or Discord works perfectly for this.