[Subscriber's Vault] COMPONENT CONCEPTS

GRIZZ

I like how the components seem to have a green/red meter on all of them.  I wonder what that means for items like shield generators?  Is it a health bar?

Also, Components with sub components?  Whaaaaa!?   Photo 8 shows a jump drive hooking onto a quantum drive.  

You can read more about sub-components on the Ship Repair & Maintenance document under "Subcomponents" and "Module Racks"

MODULE RACKS

Rack.png

Module Racks are panels that house the various components used to keep their associative subcomponents running. These can be found on the hull under maintenance hatches in closed-cockpit ships, or internally in the engineering section of larger multi-crew ships.

Depending on the component installed, different types and numbers of subcomponents are required. Each subcomponent is built for quick removal and replacement allowing for field repairs to be carried out as quickly as possible. If a player attempts to remove a subcomponent from a powered component they risk being electrocuted and receiving damage.

Modules.png

Replacing a damaged subcomponent is a simple case of interacting with the item in question. The player will then remove it, freeing up the slot. If the player has a replacement in their possession, they can then interact with the empty slot to place it.

Subcomponent types are universal across ships and components of the same size class, a coolant rod from a Gladius’ laser cannon can replace a Hornet’s coolant rod housed in the shield generator. This provides a great deal of flexibility, allowing players to juggle elements between various systems as needed, as well as opening up opportunities to patch their ship using scavenged parts.

Multicrew.png

Components on larger ships, such as the Idris or Retaliator can require a large number of subcomponents to function and/or larger sizes of subcomponents. When damaged, these more complicated systems can take significantly longer to diagnose and physically swap out any compromised subcomponents. To maintain full operation, these ships can contain alternative backup systems. In the case of an emergency, engineers can use their ship terminal to redirect power to the backup, allowing for full ship functionality whilst the engineer repairs the primary system. This can also be achieved manually, should an engineering terminal become inoperable, by physically swapping the whole module rack out, placing the backup system in the primary’s slot.

Madness. Pure genious, mindblowing madness. The detail of this game blows my mind every time.
No other company would go this far in designing things for their game. Once again CIG shows how insane and amazing this project is and I can't wait untill we can finally play around with stuff like this.

Thanks for posting these components.  The level of detail probably isn't necessary (but is certainly amazing).  I guess I'll have to practice changing out the parts regularly to admire their details as it seems unlikely I'm going to look closely at them when my ship is bursting into flames around me.

I figured these images could go here.

From http://andrewleyconcepts.com/#/components/

ComponentConceptingWorkflowNotes_002.jpgComponentLayers_001.gif?format=750w

"A guideline workflow I developed to help internal and outsource Concept Artists produce component designs for Star Citizen.

This Russian Doll approach was intended to reduce the amount of work needed to produce a range of components by reusing design elements.  These rough component concepts were also built following the Custom Normals workflow used on Star Citizen.  This allowed the concept meshes to be instantly dropped into CryEngine to be previewed by the directors.  Many of the concept meshes that were built this way were even used in the marketing videos for the ship sales. "

• 4 months later...