RSI - Polaris - Corvette

VoA

On 10/17/2016 at 8:22 PM, Reavern said:

STS does stand for "Ship To Ship". I don't recall CIG ever explaining STS ....

See below...

On 10/17/2016 at 10:23 PM, Amedeus said:

It seems CIG uses the term STS to refer to larger then normal turrets, slow moving ship cannons, as they are only labeled so far on class 5 points.

I like the Polaris, I really like the ideas that coupled with it's size 4 turrets is the capital ship power plant, meaning your gonna be able to run the heavy hitters of the size 4 guns and run them longer with that power behind them. Same thing goes for the shields, this ship will have an abundant amount of power.

Yes STS turrets are a completely different class of turret (beyond just being bigger)........ just like a PDS turret is a completly different type of turret (not just a smaller ASA turret).

This CIG article best describes them (but look to the Phoenix and 890 Jump brochures for PDS turrets) -- Behring Applied Technology

2 hours ago, Wu Jen said:

J.Dadley CIG

"Time for some clarification.

The current design is that ALL of the turrets on the Javelin DO elevate with the exception of the two large anti-capital ship turrets. This means that the ship is highly defensible against fighters but means lining up powerful shots against other capital ships requires more finesse.

Before anyone panics it is worth iterating that this is currently just an 'on paper' design. When the ship is fully operational in-engine we will be testing how effective this is - if it proves to not work as designed then it will be trivial to allow elevation on these two turrets. We won't be releasing anything that hasn't been play-tested and balanced properly."

ATM - as far as CIG is concerned STS = Anti-Cap ship weapons.

If all else fails  mount marines  with hvy weapon's. On the outer deck ,

It would be reverse of  the  kid game  wack a mole...... good counter fire training for the marines. 

2 hours ago, Wu Jen said:

J.Dadley CIG

"Time for some clarification.

The current design is that ALL of the turrets on the Javelin DO elevate with the exception of the two large anti-capital ship turrets. This means that the ship is highly defensible against fighters but means lining up powerful shots against other capital ships requires more finesse.

Before anyone panics it is worth iterating that this is currently just an 'on paper' design. When the ship is fully operational in-engine we will be testing how effective this is - if it proves to not work as designed then it will be trivial to allow elevation on these two turrets. We won't be releasing anything that hasn't been play-tested and balanced properly."

ATM - as far as CIG is concerned STS = Anti-Cap ship weapons.

That quote doesn't prove that STS = Anti-Cap Ship weapons. It simply proves that the Javelin's large dorsal and ventral turrets are anti-cap ship weapons. I said earlier that the Javelin's main turrets would be effective against the Polaris or Idris, which are capital ships. And I acknowledged that some STS are anti-cap ship weapons. So that quote aligns to what I said. However, I also said that not all STS turrets are anti-cap ship weapons, and that quote doesn't explicitly say that "STS = Anti-cap ship". It simply gives one example of a cap ship equipped with anti-cap ship turrets.

I don't think we need to rely exclusively on what CIG has said to determine which weapons are effective against cap ships. Most people understand that the Polaris' torpedoes will enable it to attack and destroy larger capital ships. Most people can see the size of the Idris Frigate's single STS turret and determine that it's probably intended for destroying large (non-cap) ships, like a Caterpillar, Starfarer, Hull C, etc., not capital ships, like an opposing Idris, Javelin, or Bengal -- I doubt it could even take out a Polaris very quickly. And the Javelin's main turrets could make short work of a Polaris and Idris. We really don't need CIG to tell us any of that. Just like I don't need CIG to say "STS = Anti-cap ship weapons". I think the reason why CIG hasn't said that is because not all STS turrets are anti-cap ship weapons. Some are, some aren't.

I mean, it doesn't really matter.  CIG is going to balance things the way they want them to be balanced.  Use the descriptions and the FAQs as your guide to what each capital ship is going to be.  We don't have a single example of an STS weapon in the PU yet.  So stressing out about how effective they will or won't be against ships that aren't in the PU yet either seems like an exercise in futility.

44 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

What STS guns does the Polaris have? Oh none at all, ok then why are we talking about them? :D

I believe the subject came up for that reason. The Polaris did not get an STS, all it has to rely on is its torps to attack Capital ships, thus limiting its effectiveness against Capital ships that have fighter screens/PDS's.

29 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

However, we don't really know how torpedoes will "act" completely. Will the large Anti-cap ones have shields? More than likely even indirect explosion will be quite nasty surprise depending of what size. It's a light

Well, an indirect explosion will cause a lot of high velocity schrapnel and heat. While this would in fact be wonderful against (very) lightly armored ships, it wouldn't do wonders on capital ships though, or properly armored Fighters even, who would suffer much greater damage from focused and directly transferred thermal and kinetic energy on their thick hull.

The great thing about the Idris & Javelins weapon balance is they will be required to perform as intended asap for use in SQ42 against Vanduul ships, some of which will be capitals I guess.  Whatever they give the ships for SQ42, we'll get to use in the PU eventually.  I doubt they'll use separate balance between SP & the PU.

Yup, lots of things will change. Remember, even ina  released state there will be a patch that "may change everything" just like SWG, WoW, GW2 etc. Curious to see how the 300 series ships will look like. And if CIG continues with the update process for all ships, we could see new versions of ships every year. 

The Polaris is still in concept and even the size of the hangar, cockpit design etc may be completely different upon release.

1 hour ago, GalYurr said:

The great thing about the Idris & Javelins weapon balance is they will be required to perform as intended asap for use in SQ42 against Vanduul ships, some of which will be capitals I guess.  Whatever they give the ships for SQ42, we'll get to use in the PU eventually.  I doubt they'll use separate balance between SP & the PU.

SP is supposed to be the staging ground for new concept mechanics in the PU. It looks like it's a giant training module with a great story tied to it.

Just now, Devil Khan said:

I hear they are bring in RNG ...

It's already been planned. There are no level ups, skill progression, anything like that. It's based on how well you do the work, so if you do a good job, there's a good chance it'll be highly successful, but it you do poorly, there's a good chance for failure. It won't be like traditional MMO's in the sense like BDO or WoW, but there is RNG and over time you will see it being implemented especially during mining, crafting, buying and selling goods etc. 

Back on topic, you may even see RNG while trying to repair your Polaris

I was aiming at weapons and RNG and I was joking for that part.

Seriously though, I know that if it went toe to toe against a Idris-P stock it would loose. It is a good patrol corvette as it will deter lesser ships from thinking twice, and it's  very good for jumping in more than one corvette, dumping it's load into the enemy ships and jumping out before the enemy fully react.

Speed is the key, trap her and she is doomed, unless you are a suicidal idiot with no future :D. I love the ships role and purpose, the current layout internally is not great. I'd have the bridge bottom with the glass screen bottom instead 2/3rd of it is wasted space. If she could go a few extra meters then a stairs leading down would give the bridge better view and ... well it would look better.  Also there is no weapons officer, which would be kinda important as it's a warship and they need to give priority over targets if necessary. However. I am fully aware that it was only a concept image and 3D model for the holoviewer. Anyway, if a better corvette comes out then I'll take it! heh.   

CitizenPanda over on the RSI forums found this update in the 2nd Polaris Q&A:

Does the Polaris carry any fixed weaponry? There is conflicting data between the ship page, the matrix, and the brochure about how many turrets are manned and unmanned, fixed hardpoints, etc.

The current planned weaponry loadout for the Polaris is 4x S10 torpedo launch tubes, 6x Manned Turrets, 1x Remote Operated Turret on the Nose (controlled from the bridge) and 1x Automated Lower Rear turret. Apologies for any confusion, if there are discrepancies on the site we will adjust them.

Updated on: October 19, 2016

In an effort to clear up confusion, we’ve consulted the designer for clarification and have a revised list of hardpoints. The Polaris current planned loadout is set to include:
• 4x S10 Torpedo Launch tubes
• 5x Manned Turrets (Twin S4 Weapons)
• 1x Remote Manned Turret (Twin S5 Weapons)
• 1x Automated Turret (Twin S4 Weapons)
• 2x Anti-Fighter Missile Racks, each carrying 16x S3 Missiles

As with other ships, feedback we receive through our usual channels and information gathered and received during playtesting and balancing may necessitate revisions of a ship’s hardpoint complement. Our primary focus will always be ensuring that any new additions to the game not only fulfill their intended roles, but also work in harmony with the vision and design intentions across the entire game.

1 hour ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Updated on: October 19, 2016

In an effort to clear up confusion, we’ve consulted the designer for clarification and have a revised list of hardpoints. The Polaris current planned loadout is set to include:
• 4x S10 Torpedo Launch tubes
• 5x Manned Turrets (Twin S4 Weapons)
• 1x Remote Manned Turret (Twin S5 Weapons)
• 1x Automated Turret (Twin S4 Weapons)
• 2x Anti-Fighter Missile Racks, each carrying 16x S3 Missiles

As with other ships, feedback we receive through our usual channels and information gathered and received during playtesting and balancing may necessitate revisions of a ship’s hardpoint complement. Our primary focus will always be ensuring that any new additions to the game not only fulfill their intended roles, but also work in harmony with the vision and design intentions across the entire game.

That's a beastly weapon loadout, and even though it might change, it illuminates their intentions.  I'm more than happy with it and won't be grey-marketing my Polaris now.  All those dual S4s will be a huge threat to nearby fighters and bombers, devastating to any non-military craft that opposes you (lol 890 Jump "corvettes"), and more speculatively, do serious harm to the shields of any capital ship that tries to ignore all but your torpedoes in a fleet action. 

The Polaris is an anti-fighter gunship, as it turns out.  The Polaris won't be capable of doing those janky turns in combat that throw off gunner's aim as we experience now in our Wardens and Constellations, and with dual S4s each individual turret will be more than capable of quickly destroying hostile fighters that get too close.  The Captain / Pilot will be maneuvering the ship to put the maximum number of guns on target, and in the right orientation, 12 S4s and 2 S5s won't be ignored by anything smaller than a Javelin, not even considering the torpedoes.

I think its weakness now will be blindspots that only one or two of the turrets can cover (fighter flies in the blindspot, "de-acks" the one or two turrets there by targeting it directly up close, and makes an opening for more fighters/bombers), and torpedoes from bombers too far out of range. And of course if an enemy capital ship with STS or even merely-large conventional turrets stops ignoring it.

I'm interested to see how the shield mechanic works on large ships, can small ships fly through the shield and shoot at components as if they're unshielded?  'Cause from the aft, the Polaris should be pretty vulnerable, and if the turret(s) back there are knocked out, it could be pretty hard to deal with.  That's my completely-speculative years-in-advance anti-Polaris metagame.

God Q&A writer is not the best. All he had to do was look at the pictures. Anyway the weapon layout are correct. However, only 16x per launcher is very small considering it is a (light) corvette. I'd kinda like a stock pile for the launchers as well. A reloading for a minute or 30 second every time they are finished say 8x instead of the 16x. However everything is seemingly spot on, just a low number for a cap ship in (anti-fighter) missiles. Seriously it is a cap ship, hense the classification (of corvette) given to it. They stay out longer than most other sides.

Also the torpedoes x 28 is perfect number, you are hardly going to just fire of every thing on one strike target. Even the freelancer MIS carries more than 2x16 and could nearly fit inside of the Polaris shell of the ship several times. Anyway, I know that it is just a concept, nothing has started. I wish that it would also include re-loader system(s) for the ship. An Auto-loader would be nice even.

There we go. Glad it has s4s instead of s3s, that'll give it power vs heavier ships without relying on its torpedoes, that's a real military ship.

Nothing to complain about, I hope that CIG adds something else in its class that can compete if org warfare really takes off. Maybe an old surplus Xi'an or Banu ship we can refit, something that fleshes out the other species as well as gives players new options. 

5 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

God Q&A writer is not the best. All he had to do was look at the pictures. Anyway the weapon layout are correct. However, only 16x per launcher is very small considering it is a (light) corvette. I'd kinda like a stock pile for the launchers as well. A reloading for a minute or 30 second every time they are finished say 8x instead of the 16x. However everything is seemingly spot on, just a low number for a cap ship in (anti-fighter) missiles. Seriously it is a cap ship, hense the classification (of corvette) given to it. They stay out longer than most other sides.

Also the torpedoes x 28 is perfect number, you are hardly going to just fire of every thing on one strike target. Even the freelancer MIS carries more than 2x16 and could nearly fit inside of the Polaris shell of the ship several times. Anyway, I know that it is just a concept, nothing has started. I wish that it would also include re-loader system(s) for the ship. An Auto-loader would be nice even.

And if that does not help there is only one more thing to do:

Too bad the Polaris cockpit is in the front of the ship... but when you go, you go with a big BOOM.

I guess the impact of a big ship like the polaris would even f*** up a Bengal Carrier.

The bridge to be honest is too ... clean and bland and not for a corvette which is a warship. I am hoping their will stick a large holotable in the middle. However, the internal layout off the bridge section should be re-worked. 

35 minutes ago, daHawk said:

And if that does not help there is only one more thing to do:

Too bad the Polaris cockpit is in the front of the ship... but when you go, you go with a big BOOM.

I guess the impact of a big ship like the polaris would even f*** up a Bengal Carrier.

It is a Light corvette, light as in lightly armored. CR said on it's own it wouldn't survive against a Javelin or Idris for a brawler battle. Attacking a other Cap ship would be 2-3 for a Frigate(Idris) it has weak shields, but it has extra speed.  Basically speed, sword or shield, no ship should have all three. We have the first two speed and sword, namely 4 Heavy torpedoes. No one has (publicly) seen how they perform in battle ground. 

You know one thing, it in gunnery turrets were hidden I mean like on the connie, it would make a lot of sense if stealth were an ability of this corvette as well. Would be kinda good, sneak and attack. 

41 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

The bridge to be honest is too ... clean and bland and not for a corvette which is a warship. I am hoping their will stick a large holotable in the middle. However, the internal layout off the bridge section should be re-worked. 

It is a Light corvette, light as in lightly armored. CR said on it's own it wouldn't survive against a Javelin or Idris for a brawler battle. Attacking a other Cap ship would be 2-3 for a Frigate(Idris) it has weak shields, but it has extra speed.  Basically speed, sword or shield, no ship should have all three. We have the first two speed and sword, namely 4 Heavy torpedoes. No one has (publicly) seen how they perform in battle ground. 

You know one thing, it in gunnery turrets were hidden I mean like on the connie, it would make a lot of sense if stealth were an ability of this corvette as well. Would be kinda good, sneak and attack. 

I was talking about ramming as a last resort (minute 7 in the vid), not sure what my video has to do with your answer... but go ahead.

You seem to be a bit confused...