How do you stop a ship from an uncontrollable spin?

Tom Villder

I had a little problem when I played in Crusader yesterday, I was having a blast with my friends account using a Freelancer (<3 quad tarantulas), and in the middle of a dogfight near a comm array, I accidentally slammed the ship against a solar panel.  I died and woke up in Port Olisar again, but I noticed that the Freelancer was still in my hud at 100k-ish km away (or something), so I decided to grab a Gladius and go back to that same array, I fought off the pirates and found that my ship was ~1 km away, spinning uncontrollably on an axis/tilt.

I tried the following for over 30 minutes:

- EVA to it - It was a bit too fast for me and I couldn't reach the cargo doors or the turret.

- Tried getting my ship right next to the Freelancer and engage the newtonian brake - It worked at first by stopping the spin a bit, but the ship was too fast and not only slid off the Gladius, but damaged it quite a bit.

- Shooting it with the nose gun to help slow it down - Moderately effective as it slowed down the ship, but it hurt the hull a bit and the spin was still there.

- For the lulz, I tried the maneuver from Interstellar by going into decoupled mode and trying to match the spin and velocity of the ship, but not only was it hard, I almost lost the Gladius as well because as soon as I left it because it went on a near-uncontrollable spin too >_>

I eventually abandoned the Freelancer, but what do you do when you have a ship like this? (other than not crashing it ofc).

6 minutes ago, Shmorgeshborg said:

The only thing that I've found that has worked is timing your shots to counter the spin, but even then you run the risk of destroying the ship -_- 
It's easier to just suicide and spawn a new ship!

I guess so.

This would be a problem for future salvage/S&R crews though... imagine trying to recover an unconscious player from a burning wreckage spinning uncontrollably.

Edit: I was thinking that since players who want to make their enemies bodies unrecoverable, they could ram the wreckage and make it spin... however, the devs could make it that the spin slowly stops after a certain period of time but on the other hand, it could reduce immersion/break the physics model they have.

12 hours ago, Tom Villder said:

I had a little problem when I played in Crusader yesterday, I was having a blast with my friends account using a Freelancer (<3 quad tarantulas), and in the middle of a dogfight near a comm array, I accidentally slammed the ship against a solar panel.  I died and woke up in Port Olisar again, but I noticed that the Freelancer was still in my hud at 100k-ish km away (or something), so I decided to grab a Gladius and go back to that same array, I fought off the pirates and found that my ship was ~1 km away, spinning uncontrollably on an axis/tilt.

I tried the following for over 30 minutes:

- EVA to it - It was a bit too fast for me and I couldn't reach the cargo doors or the turret.

- Tried getting my ship right next to the Freelancer and engage the newtonian brake - It worked at first by stopping the spin a bit, but the ship was too fast and not only slid off the Gladius, but damaged it quite a bit.

- Shooting it with the nose gun to help slow it down - Moderately effective as it slowed down the ship, but it hurt the hull a bit and the spin was still there.

- For the lulz, I tried the maneuver from Interstellar by going into decoupled mode and trying to match the spin and velocity of the ship, but not only was it hard, I almost lost the Gladius as well because as soon as I left it because it went on a near-uncontrollable spin too >_>

I eventually abandoned the Freelancer, but what do you do when you have a ship like this? (other than not crashing it ofc).

You don't

tumblr_mzp4pizkIv1qcga5ro1_500.gif