Hey guys.

I bit the bullet and got myself a shiny new rig and monitor. It's AWESOME.
I have a quick question though, and I was wondering if anyone knows the answer.

I have a MSI X99A Raider mobo and a Fractal-Design Kelvin T12 AIO liquid cooler. I set up the radiator in the back with 2 fans, a pull<<push setup. The back fan (on pull) is connected to a cpufan header, as is the pump.

The push fan is now connected to a sysfan header... which doesn't spin.
There lies my question; do I need to connect the fans differently? Will the push fan only spin if the temperature gets too high (in which case, it not spinning would be a good thing)? I guess the fan could be busted but its brand new so I doubt it. Could potentially plug it into something else and see what happens.

The two remaining fans in the front of my case are connected to a fan controller in the front of the case.

I only have 2 cpufan headers on the mobo which are now in use. Let me know what you think.

A lot of motherboards' sysfan headers don't actually work(well, they work, but they don't work in the same way as a cpufan header, so they're pretty useless for easy fan management).  You have a couple of options here.  I personally picked up a Swiftech sata connector fan hub http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8.  Plug the pump into the first(red slot), any and all other fans into the remaining slots, and plug the hub into your cpufan header.  

Your other option is to pick up a pwm fan splitter, which will allow you to chain two fans together and still connect them to your cpu fan header.  http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Sleeved-Splitter-CPF01/dp/B00B46XKKQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453214384&sr=1-2&keywords=pwn+fan+splitter

Usually sysfan headers default to running at 100% at all temperatures unless otherwise managed. I personally run an asus motherboard so I use their "AI Suite II" but I think MSI has their version which is "MSI Afterburner". I'm fairly certain that you can control fanspeeds through that. It might have defaulted to being disabled or something, shouldn't but there's a chance.

If that isn't the case, it could be the sysfan header. Obviously you could try swapping which header your connected to on the mobo, but could result in some spooky cobweb wires throughout the case. Also, if I remember correctly, sysfan headers can be 3-pin or 2-pin. The third pin, from what I recall, is what let's you monitor and control fanspeed. Since your fan isn't spinning at all though, it shouldn't matter, not to mention 3-pin and 2-pin are cross compatible, though you need 3-pin to 3-pin for full functionanlity.

TL;DR - Try seeing if "MSI Afterburner" or some other software is messing with your fans & try changing which motherboard header the fan is plugged into.

Hope I helped :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Shtefs
      Hello,
      My wife is a huge StarCitizen fan, a backer from way back in the day.
      We recently moved to Austin, and were quite busy with said move.
      I got on today hoping to buy her a ticket, only to see that the con is sold out.
      Is there any other way to get a ticket or access to the event? Could she work the event, or help out a member of the press?
      Anything would help, she was really devastated not being able to go...
      Thank you.
    • By Donut
      After a long time of research and configuring what I believe to be the best set up for Star Citizen and general gaming and purpose, it's almost ready to start the process.

I was always intrigued by the idea of a simpit but never liked the ergonomics until I came across this post and the set up going on:
      https://imgur.com/a/GMG9E

I believe this is the set up I'm going after. Just wanted to know if there was anything I should add to this list besides the Volair Simpit, large center display and two alternate displays:
      VKB Space Sim Joysticks
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50174/thread/vkb-space-combat-grip-joystick
      VKB Throttle
      https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199002

Corsair Dark Core RGB SE w/ Amazon Qi Charger
      https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Mice/DARK-CORE-RGB-SE-Performance-Wired-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse-with-Qi®-Wireless-Charging/p/CH-9315311-NA
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVWTDM5/ref=emc_b_5_t

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Eventually there will be a VR headset and I will most likely be picking up the FOIP camera for SC.
    • By Eleidess
      Hello,
      I come back to you following my thread that I did six month ago, and I have a lot of news!
      To sump up quickly, I’m in the company that has created the Lexip mouse, a mouse with two integrated joysticks for 3D profesionals. After my last thread, I talked with my team and the project of created a gaming mouse started.
      We have improved our first mouse thanks to our beta testing team who allowed us to create the perfect gaming mouse: 200 to 8200 DPI, braided cables, programmable buttons…
      Today, in order to bring this project to a successful conclusion, we launch our Kickstarter campaign! I wanted to share this information with you in preview because it’s thanks to you, members of this forum that this project is born. 
      I can answer all of your questions, this mouse is my baby! ;)
      Thank you for everything!
    • By Victor Vector
      Ok, I decided to finally give 3.0 a try. That was my first mistake.
      I managed to get some cargo and load my freelancer and take off. I also took a contract and headed to the pick up point. Whilst trying to figure out the illegible star map and quantum drive the damn game crashed to desktop.
      The launcher said "Game running" which it obviously wasn't. I then closed the launcher and started again. The game launched with me back in my box bunk, back in Olisar.
      Ok I can't get my freelancer because its stuck out there in the void somewhere and the persistent universe has persisted in stealing half my credits all because the damn game crashed. Hardly my fault.
      So I've no ship and only half my starting credits. How do I get out of this one? Please. I thought if the game crashed you were supposed to respawn in your ship at the location you were at when the game crashed. Evidently not.
      As its the persistent universe, I doubt deleting the game fully and re-downloading and installing it from scratch would affect the persistence as its on their servers. Any help appreciated - even if its only "Tough, you're f***ed"
      So far, not the experience I was looking for. There was a good point though - at least this time the frame rates didn't make my eyes hurt. They weren't good but at least it was playable.