Unmelting is Available

GRIZZ

47 minutes ago, Grizz said:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/buy-back-pledges

EDIT: Apparently you cannot buyback using store credit.  (Probably a mistake)

Not a mistake - it was intentional - (and good marketing on their part... but not so nice to players)....

BUY BACK PLEDGES

The Pledge Buy Back system allows you to repurchase pledges that you previously exchanged for store credit, even if they are no longer available in the store.

Note: Coupons and store credits cannot be used to buy back a pledge.

Doesnt this force alot of people who 1) have giftable ships they want to melt and 2) want to unmelt/buyback ships to the grey market to get the funds needed? *Myself included*. Also there are report that ships that are unmelted are giftable, even the stuff that was originally bought with Store Credit.

Alas Idris-P you will not be unmelted just yet.

Edit: according to Ben it is being implemented at a later date.

I've got a few LTI things I can unmelt, a $25 Aurora and a $50 Reliant.  But the one with the most value is probably the Digital Colonel LTI.  You just can't get LTI on the initial game purchase any more.  And strangely, the most valuable are probably the Aurora LTI game packages that I'm sure a lot of people have, as you can CCU them to a lot more things than the higher value packages.

People who planned to profit mightily off LTI ships on the grey market have pretty much been nerfed into the ground.  I don't have a big problem with this.  Those people can still get their money back I'd guess with enough patience.  Once the Star Marine part is in, there will be an influx, and some of those people will want better ships.  But LTI just became a lot less rare.

Question:  I have a number of ships to unmelt but a few of them can be unmelted for less than what they are currently worth.  If I unmelt them and CCU them will the CCU value be their current Value or their original Value.  Example... would my M50 below be worth $100 to CCU to another ship even though I could unmelt it for only $80?  Just seeing if anyone has done this before?

• I have an old M50 than I can un-melt for $80 and its currently worth $100
  • I have an old Gladiator than I can un-melt for $150 and its currently worth $165
  • I have an old Gladius than I can un-melt for $80 and its currently worth $90

2 hours ago, Hector said:

It would be 80, or the original value. There's no cheating the system.

Here's another opportunity that may work.  I melted my solo $150 Gladiator since I picked up another Gladiator ($165) as part of the Armada Pack.   I  should be able to CCU the more expensive one then unmelt the cheaper one right? 

4 hours ago, VoA said:

Question:  I have a number of ships to unmelt but a few of them can be unmelted for less than what they are currently worth.  If I unmelt them and CCU them will the CCU value be their current Value or their original Value.  Example... would my M50 below be worth $100 to CCU to another ship even though I could unmelt it for only $80?  Just seeing if anyone has done this before?

• I have an old M50 than I can un-melt for $80 and its currently worth $100
  • I have an old Gladiator than I can un-melt for $150 and its currently worth $165
  • I have an old Gladius than I can un-melt for $80 and its currently worth $90

1 hour ago, VoA said:

Here's another opportunity that may work.  I melted my solo $150 Gladiator since I picked up another Gladiator ($165) as part of the Armada Pack.   I  should be able to CCU the more expensive one then unmelt the cheaper one right? 

Current value.  For your Gladiator example, the price of the CCU begins at $165 and ends at the final price, even for your $150 Gladiator.  I still have my $150 Gladiator (never melted it) and this is how its working for me.  So if the price goes up, you get the benefit.

I'm actually surprised the base Reliant price didn't go up.  And all those LTI Archimedes tokens?  Better to wait and see if they go up in price to $35 or $40 before buying a CCU from them to something else.

On the flip side, if you're CCU-ing to something that may still later go up in price (like the Khartu-Al), it would be cheaper to buy that CCU now than later.

But melting always gives you the same amount of money you spent on it.  So that CCU you bought when its cheap doesn't give you more credits back later when its more expensive to buy another one.  Just like my Gladiator, I only get $150 if I melt it, not $165.

14 hours ago, LGF said:

Yes it seems that they don't want people melting and unmalting continuously as it suits them. There has been a big uproar and now they are having to come up with an alternative solution.

I wouldn't be too bothered if they only allowed you to unmelt something once. That would sort it.