In Game communication

westie

Hi, I just recently bought three ships and signed up for SC also signed up for Imperium.    I was wondering about in game communication as I am deaf, I wouldnt be able to use voice chat.. is there text chat box in game to communicate.. let me know.. thanks

Westie

Yes, of course.
Right now that's the only way of communication that itself SC offers.
Maybe a voice function will follow in the future, though. However, it will always offer a text chat (just like every other game).

Note: Press F12 to get the chat box on your screen (or to remove it). Then press Enter to chat.

Btw for the sake of deaf people (and me when I'm listening to music) they should offer a text based replacement for the voice feedback.
The ships interface is talking quite a lot, especially in combat. But without hearing that...well, it's slightly harder to play.

11 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Yes, of course.
Right now that's the only way of communication that itself SC offers.
Maybe a voice function will follow in the future, though. However, it will always offer a text chat (just like every other game).

Note: Press F12 to get the chat box on your screen (or to remove it). Then press Enter to chat.

Btw for the sake of deaf people (and me when I'm listening to music) they should offer a text based replacement for the voice feedback.
The ships interface is talking quite a lot, especially in combat. But without hearing that...well, it's slightly harder to play.

thank you for the reply,   as for the ship interface talking that is a pita for me.. i hope it doesnt affect the gameplay too much.     I will mention it to the devs on the SC reddit.   thanks again

W

Just now, Switch said:

For chat options we currently have 

I hope this helps @westie!

is xmpp  jabber chat 

teamspeak chat -- voice??

Apologies, here is a link to XMPP for RSI to explain more about it, I'm not well versed in it so this is all I can offer. :D

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/xmpp-setup

Teamspeak has voice chat as well as text chat in the bottom, so we're able to read what people are writing in chat if we have multiple screens or window mode enabled. :D

9 minutes ago, westie said:

thank you for the reply,   as for the ship interface talking that is a pita for me.. i hope it doesnt affect the gameplay too much.     I will mention it to the devs on the SC reddit.   thanks again

If you get used to it, well, should be fine. But it's easier to keep up with everything when you get that voice feedback.

10 minutes ago, westie said:

teamspeak chat -- voice??

Every voice channel has a text channel as well. Usually I'm using the text chat when I'm visiting the TS server (which rarely happens).
However, it's quite pointless because you still need to hear the others who are speaking. Thus TS will be no good option for you. Unless you get into a channel with people who are not talking...which would make me ask why they are using the TS instead of some IRC.
In any case, you will find a way to communicate. 

11 minutes ago, Morgenroete said:

CIG also have a alpha 2.0 Discord text chat

https://discord.gg/0dOJaNbubQhLdkOP

Won't be useful unless the people he'll interact with are there as well...and catch his message.
Praise ingame chats, where the one that's threatening you (or vice versa) can directly read it!

Btw I figured you really seem to love their Discord chat. I'm sitting in there as well...but never actually reading it.

I hope we get something like the VGS system from the Tribes games in Star Citizen. I think it would be very useful for deaf players.

But its also useful for everyone else, im not deaf but i like this system a lot because its so quick and you dont have to talk on TS all the time.

It makes very quick communications possible without using a chat box or VOIP software.

http://tribes.wikia.com/wiki/Voice_Game_System

VGS simulator:

http://orig15.deviantart.net/e30e/f/2012/066/1/7/vgs_soundboard_by_ragbinder-d4rvove.swf

Example:

V S A G - I'll attack the enemy generator. ( Voice Key - Self - Attack - Generator)

V E G - The enemy generator is destroyed.

V G S - Shazbot ! (Sh*** !"§$%&)

With just 3 or 4 keys you can say this messages via chatbox and voice playback. I liked it a lot in Tribes 2 and Tribes Ascend.

14 hours ago, JamesFV said:

Hasn't been used in along time i think...  only the TS is getting some love :)

When I checked on TS recently there weren't that many people online either. Was it just bad coincidence, or where are all those hundreds of imperials :/ Well, to be fair -- I was also not participating at all for over a year, and noone should feel guilty as the game is not out yet, but still, I was surprised?

12 minutes ago, JamesFV said:

Actually not everyone is on TS all the time. As the game is coming out of development, the numbers if active members will increase.

Yeah, that's probably to be expected! Now it's just the hardcore crowd, basically everyone with a lot of patience :)