Build help GTX 980ti

Irres

I know that between VAT and any added tech import duties there may be that prices can get nuts, but the same would apply if you decided to get the 980ti.  What I read in your first post felt more like "I paid $600+ for the 970 when I could have gotten the 980ti for less".

wasn't pascal's release date pushed back?

I mean I suppose I could wait.

there hasn't been anything confirming a push back, just rumours surrounding the availability of HBM 2.0.  Since AMD has priority access to supplies of HBM 2.0 due to their cooperation with hynix during HBM development, they get first shot at HBM 2.0 stocks.  Some have suggested that this would impact Nvidia's ability to procure the new ram and therefore push back the new gpus.  It is possible th is will happen, but at th is point no one knows hynix's expected volume, and frankly everyone makes the erroneous assumption that AMD has the operating capital necessary to fully absorb successive production runs.  WIth their financial situation as bad as it is I strenuously doubt they have the ability to corner the HBM 2.0 market for even a short while.  Honestly there may be a slight delay, on the order of a month, between AMD and Nvidia, but I  can't see anything beyond that, and every source I can find still has the Pascal launch in the first half of 2016.

I posted that in my PC parts sales thread with all the other cheepnis

How much are these Pascal GPU's gonna run?

That's the rub, 10X faster supposedly, but no one knows for sure where they will be introduced.  And the plan was to let the pro market get them first then distribute to the consumer market....sounds to me like 3k+ card with the specs they are advertising, but that is just a guess.  If somoene can cite a source that has cost please do.

and as I typed it I found one

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2111540/nvidia-announces-pascal-gpu-3k-titan-z-graphics-card.html

oh sorry disregard that was pricing on TitanZ...but should be around there

I posted that in my PC parts sales thread with all the other cheepnis

sorry should have looked there, there is $30 rebate on this deal too bringing it to 599. 

For the last couple cycles at least Nvidia has kept new product prices within about the same range as their predecessors(Titans ~$1000, x80s ~$500, x80ti ~$700, etc).  The new chips, 16nm process instead of 28nm, could be more expensive, particularly if yields are low or if they try to recoup costs from their abandoned 20nm attempt.  The HBM 2.0 is also new, so between per gb cost and the research costs of integration(not to mention the expected much higher total ram per gpu) could tick prices up some.  That said, I honestly don't expect more than a 50-100 dollar premium on a per-tier basis, though I fully expect them to hold off much longer on giving us a 1080ti than they did this cycle(which may also explain why the Titan Z is priced more in line with a Quadro than the Titan X, as the 980ti's performance essentially rendered the just released titan x useless)

WTFux

3000 is enough to build 2 more copies of my current machine!

I'm just not going to be able to have shinies....   :(

In a year or so when beta PU comes out or close to it, I'm going to want some help choosing parts to build myself a quality machine.  My last build has been working quite well for 3 years old, and would probably continue working exceptionally well if I just got a new GPU for it.  Trouble is, I need to get a machine for my gf, so I'm going to upgrade my existing GPU for her and then build a brand spanking new one for me :P    If I can afford it...  (I can, but I don't exactly want to right at this moment, still saving up for a house)

Edited by Xeen

WAIT, its not that cheap, it works out as a Grand Total: £615.98 (£489.99 ex VAT&del ) for me.

I can get one here cheaper in the UK for £529.99 (£441.66 ex VAT) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-282-EA

WAIT, its not that cheap, it works out as a Grand Total: £615.98 (£489.99 ex VAT&del ) for me.

I can get one here cheaper in the UK for £529.99 (£441.66 ex VAT) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-282-EA

How did you get £489.99?

isn't $629 US    £407?  Mail in Rebate  $599 becomes  £388.40  , then yes VAT :P

Great price. I'm sitting tight with my 980Ti until Pascal hits. 

I'm also sitting tight, hoping when Pascal finally drops I will pick up a 2nd 980. Unless it truly is the second coming of Christ like the fanboys say it will be. 

I'm also sitting tight, hoping when Pascal finally drops I will pick up a 2nd 980. Unless it truly is the second coming of Christ like the fanboys say it will be. 

It'll be good, but no way in hell is it going to be as good as hyped, it just isn't possible from a die shrink.  Honestly, the biggest gains will likely only come from nvidia pascal cards that are sli'd  deep using the greater memory bandwidth(not to mention 16gb worth per card) from HBM 2.0, AND if running on an intel chip/mobo with Nvlink(which seems pretty unlikely, as only IBM has said they were going to do it for their HPC business) since nvlink would allow FAR better sli scaling than pcie does, including the ability to use each card's vram additively.