Welcome to Star Citizen Base

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FoxChard

Which flavor of Endeavor will you buy?

Which one for you today?   40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Endeavor will you get?

• Endeavor Base (No modules-buy it in the verse!)
    • Endeavor Base (Buy random bits!)
    • Endeavor Discover (Discovery!)
    • Endeavor Hope (Pocket Carrier!)
    • Endeavor Olympic (Pauly Shore movie reenactment central!)
    • Endeavor Master (I can haz all the bits?)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
33 posts in this topic

The Endeavor looks great and I'm impressed by the assortment of modules CIG has created for it...

However, I can't justify buying one of these, because I'm a Military guy. I'm sure it would be fun to be the captain of an Endeavor and perform science-type missions, but I know I'd never get my money's worth out of an Endeavor. Also, if and when my Endeavor was attacked by Pirates or Vanduul, the peaceful pursuit of science would be replaced by an all-consuming desire for vengeance. :gr_devil: ;)

Perhaps I'll acquire an Endeavor in-game, eventually. If and when I do acquire an Endeavor, I'd probably get a Discovery model, and add the Telescope Array or the Super Collider.

Something just occurred to me. CIG has mentioned that an Endeavor could serve as "a mobile meth lab" to produce illegal narcotics. If that's possible, I wonder if an Endeavor could be used to produce chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons? Imagine being able to nuke a Vanduul base, unleash a bio-weapon on a Vanduul colony, or infiltrate a Vanduul cap ship and release a chem-weapon through the ventilation system that kills the entire crew, enabling the ship to be captured completely intact.

I assume that CIG wouldn't allow that because WMDs would be too OP'd and players could wreak havoc on UEE planets.

Booster Terrik likes this

However, I can't justify buying one of these, because I'm a Military guy. 

The Endeavor has many military applications - mainly with its Telescope  and Particle Collider + Hospital.   It will be awesome to "remote spy" on things far away including finding Jump Points (yes a Carrack Can find jump points too but maybe it can't cover as much area in the same amount of time that the Telescope can).  Over-clocking has huge military implications........ as does Reviving People that have died in military conflicts.  Sure you may not want the Bio-Dome Module........... but you probably want all the other modules.

Edited by VoA
Xethos likes this

Unless the q&a's change my mind the discovery looks like my favourite. I would have liked to add the telescope module to that one but I feel the price is over the top so I will earn that in the universe. People should realize that the way I read it the explorer can only be detached for a longer time when the crew module is attached (does anyone else think this might be true?)

Unless the q&a's change my mind the discovery looks like my favourite. I would have liked to add the telescope module to that one but I feel the price is over the top so I will earn that in the universe. People should realize that the way I read it the explorer can only be detached for a longer time when the crew module is attached (does anyone else think this might be true?)

Longer time yes however overall it means you can stay disconnected and have a larger crew on the ship for a longer amount of time.

After seeing the following Biodome concept art, I was surprised by how small the Biodomes are:

Agricultural_pod_D.jpg

Assuming that pic is to scale, I eyeball that the Biodome is less than 30 metres in diametre. This seems a reasonable guesstimation, because the Base Endeavor is 48 metres at its widest point, and less than half of the Biodome extends beyond the Explorer module's engine "wing".

When I first saw the Endeavor's Biodomes, I assumed they were much larger.

Considering the Biodomes' relatively small size, I find it hard to believe that they could grow enough produce to make a profit... unless they were growing something more... illicit. ;) Perhaps pairing an Olympic with a Discovery would form an ideal partnership for the production and processing of illegal narcotics.

I could be wrong though. Perhaps CIG intends to invent futuristic "wonder" fruits and veggies for Star Citizen, which are super healthy and can only be grown in a low-grav environment (like an Endeavor's biodomes), so their profit margin is much higher than earthbound carrots and lettuce. :D

You would probably need that many biodomes just to feed the 16 people on your crew. The whole concept is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. There is no way you can use one of these biodome ships to grow food in a cost effective manner. The only thing it might realisticly do is grow specialty items that cost thousands of credits for a few ounces of them ( which fits with some of what cig has been telling us). Unless genetic engineering reaches new heights in the future where crops can be harvested every 2 hours you do not even need any storage on the ship because with this few m2 you could fit the entire harvest in the cargo space of an Aurora ;-) 

You would probably need that many biodomes just to feed the 16 people on your crew. The whole concept is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. There is no way you can use one of these biodome ships to grow food in a cost effective manner. The only thing it might realisticly do is grow specialty items that cost thousands of credits for a few ounces of them ( which fits with some of what cig has been telling us). Unless genetic engineering reaches new heights in the future where crops can be harvested every 2 hours you do not even need any storage on the ship because with this few m2 you could fit the entire harvest in the cargo space of an Aurora ;-) 

Exactly. If the Olympic was a long-duration exploration or colonization ship, which needed to sustain its crew with food and water for months or years, then four biodomes might be adequate for 16 people. However, I doubt that an Olympic could serve as a mobile grocery store, supplying remote colonies and space stations with fresh produce -- which they supposedly couldn't grow on their own. It just doesn't seem to have the capacity to produce enough food for thousands of people, which is the amount you'd need to turn a profit. Because one Olympic wouldn't produce as much food as even a small terrestrial farm.

By my math (assuming the biodomes are 30 metres in diametre), each biodome only has 706 square metres of farmland. Four biodomes have a total of 2827 square metres of land. An acre of land is 4047 square metres. So an Olympic has less than 3/4's of an acre of farmland.

I think the only way that an Olympic could produce enough food to turn a profit is if you're right about future farming tech being capable of growing crops in a matter of hours. Since Star Citizen is a video game, that actually might be the case. CIG has already revealed that time progression in the PU is accelerated. I recall CIG saying that 1 day IRL is the equivalent of 1 week in game time. (Something like that.) I know that present day hydroponics and aeroponics grow plants much faster than traditional farming techniques. I suppose it's plausible that in a thousand years a full crop could be grown in a few days, which when converted from game time is only a few hours. So in the course of a game session an Olympic-owner could grow a fresh crop and sell it for a profit.

Regardless, the real money is going to be in producing illegal substances that are far more profitable. B)

After seeing the following Biodome concept art, I was surprised by how small the Biodomes are:

Agricultural_pod_D.jpg

Assuming that pic is to scale, I eyeball that the Biodome is less than 30 metres in diametre. This seems a reasonable guesstimation, because the Base Endeavor is 48 metres at its widest point, and less than half of the Biodome extends beyond the Explorer module's engine "wing".

When I first saw the Endeavor's Biodomes, I assumed they were much larger.

Considering the Biodomes' relatively small size, I find it hard to believe that they could grow enough produce to make a profit... unless they were growing something more... illicit. ;) Perhaps pairing an Olympic with a Discovery would form an ideal partnership for the production and processing of illegal narcotics.

I could be wrong though. Perhaps CIG intends to invent futuristic "wonder" fruits and veggies for Star Citizen, which are super healthy and can only be grown in a low-grav environment (like an Endeavor's biodomes), so their profit margin is much higher than earthbound carrots and lettuce. :D

I'm sure those nice people with the two endeavors parked outside that neighboring binary star system are just growing melons.

Really expensive melons. :)