Derek Smart Does not Represent the Star Citizen Community

CheeseNorris

Read his comments on RSI and 10 For suggesting backended ways to achieve what the goons did in EVE and his comments on Reddit calling Chris a fuckwit. Beer has this coming.

How can I make sure it's a person I'm targeting, how can I control the economy, why can't Chris answer questions the way I want, what retard picks them...blah blah blah

Beer4theBeerGod has made several trips to CIG offices in the past. I'm sure if he's decided to TRULY back Derek Smart, he's done so because of personal reasons of his own. However, I highly doubt that this is a legitimate move, and is most likely a form of trolling. One side-effect that we've all seen of this whole mess is that a lot of people are unloading ships and accounts on marketplaces and reddit at dirt-cheap prices, and the Goons may be trying to capitalize on that sell-off.

One side-effect that we've all seen of this whole mess is that a lot of people are unloading ships and accounts on marketplaces and reddit at dirt-cheap prices, and the Goons may be trying to capitalize on that sell-off.

Which is actually good for the genuine backers because supply for these said ships will go up back again eventually, and especially on release. IIRC you can trade ships but it's in a controlled form by CIG, regardless so long as there is a demand for (LTI) ships upon SC release the ships you have now will be valuable the way I see it.

Especially when ships go kaboom frequently :D

Weren't the goons in EvE responsible for multiple DDOS attacks in order to win battles as well as hacking CCP email accounts and using the information they found to blackmail CCP employees?

If so, Star Citizen is better off without those kinds of people.

EDIT: Thank you Captain Underpants for clarifying the difference between EvE's Goonswarm and Star Citizen's Goonrathi; I appreciate it. :)

Edited by Danakar Endeel

well, the CitCon2015 definitely was unexpected! holy shit lmao I'm considering to dump my 890J for the Armada pack right now.

To add on, DS is officially irrelevant. He couldn't even make a good promise on his games as CR and Team CIG does. Kudos to CIG!!!

meanwhile, wallet cries in fear

Not surprising I guess that the Goonrathi side with DS (I don't know the whole story but this was floating around)....  Beer got banned for 10 years.... as seen from Reddit (just forwarding the news is all)

Goonrathi are not siding with Derek Smart. While some members of Goonrathi think DS has a point about some things, drinking his kool-aid isn't something we're ever going to do officially as an org.

He's not banned, he is on probation. It's also most likely a typo.

He is permabanned. The Vanilla forums software on RSI doesn't have the capacity for a permaban so they have a 10 year ban instead. We believe Beer is banned for what he posted elsewhere and not on the RSI forums. (Despite CIG saying in the past they will not take action against anyone for things outside of their infrastructure)

I am not that familiar with the Goonrathi (and never played EVE)..... but what I have heard (and seen really on the forums even from others like Captain Underpants)... is that they like to disrupt games.  The question is if they want to destroy games.  Beer seemed liked someone generally interested in supporting Star Citizen.... I wonder what happen and if DS is trying to use them?  (this is all speculation)

You're putting words in my mouth here as well? I thought you only did that on RSI. That is why you are the one and only person on my RSI ignore list.

Cannot blame him for behaving like a goon.

`cause he is one.

There are nearly 200,000 goons including Ben Lesnick and other CIG staff. The only prerequisite is to have an account on the Something Awful forums. Behaving like a goon could be absolutely anything because there are a lot of us.

if they all want to side with DS so desperate then have them selll their ships accoutns etc on ebay and buy line of defence

A few of us have bought line of defence, given it terrible reviews and then got a refund off steam. That is the extent of our support of Derek Smart.

Weren't the goons in EvE responsible for multiple DDOS attacks in order to win battles as well as hacking CCP email accounts and using the information they found to blackmail CCP employees?

If so, Star Citizen is better off without those kinds of people.

I hear that a lot from many people. It is nothing but urban legend. Also, Goonrathi are not EVE's Goonswarm. Both groups come from the Something Awful forums... kind of like how TEST Alliance in EVE and Test Squadron in SC both come from Reddit but are not the same group. Fun fact though, the Goonrathi infrastructure has been hit by two DDoS attacks over the last year. Fortunately, we have some excellent people managing our infrastructure and both had no meaningful impact on services.

Seriously, Beer never expected to be banned and CIG have not told him which posts he was banned for. Also, the ban increments are meant to go warning, 48 hour probation, 7 day probation, 30 day probation, permaban (10 year). Beer had only ever been probated once and never received a warning up until the point he was permabanned. CIG's mods have skipped the 7 day and 30 day and permabanned him, going against their own policies.

But why was he banned? Beer says all CIG tell him is 'multiple rule 3, 9, 11 violations' but we believe it is to do with him giving guidance to people on how to successfully get a refund from CIG if they don't want to support the project any longer. I'm not going to share that information here because I don't want to risk getting banned from the RSI forums.

The official Goonrathi stance on all this is that we don't care about Derek Smart. We care about playing video games and having fun. We want Star Citizen to be awesome.

Personally though, I am frustrated by CIG's lack of progress. But I don't believe what DS is selling either. Today's information has given me a bit more confidence, but not enough to believe we'll see everything we've been promised before 2018.

I'm happy to answer any reasonable questions anyone has on the above.

"There are nearly 200,000 goons including Ben Lesnick and other CIG staff. The only prerequisite is to have an account on the Something Awful forums. Behaving like a goon could be absolutely anything because there are a lot of us."

My dear Captain, you might be right that having an account on SAF is a perequisite for being a goon.

But having such an account doesn`t automatically make you one.

You know that, I know that, and everybody else does too.

But thanks for the response anyway.

Goonrathi are not siding with Derek Smart. While some members of Goonrathi think DS has a point about some things, drinking his kool-aid isn't something we're ever going to do officially as an org.

He is permabanned. The Vanilla forums software on RSI doesn't have the capacity for a permaban so they have a 10 year ban instead. We believe Beer is banned for what he posted elsewhere and not on the RSI forums. (Despite CIG saying in the past they will not take action against anyone for things outside of their infrastructure)

You're putting words in my mouth here as well? I thought you only did that on RSI. That is why you are the one and only person on my RSI ignore list.

There are nearly 200,000 goons including Ben Lesnick and other CIG staff. The only prerequisite is to have an account on the Something Awful forums. Behaving like a goon could be absolutely anything because there are a lot of us.

A few of us have bought line of defence, given it terrible reviews and then got a refund off steam. That is the extend of our support of Derek Smart.

I hear that a lot from many people. It is nothing but urban legend. Also, Goonrathi are not EVE's Goonswarm. Both groups come from the Something Awful forums... kind of like how TEST Alliance in EVE and Test Squadron in SC both come from Reddit but are not the same group. Fun fact though, the Goonrathi infrastructure has been hit by two DDoS attacks over the last year. Fortunately, we have some excellent people managing our infrastructure and both had no meaningful impact on services.

Seriously, Beer never expected to be banned and CIG have not told him which posts he was banned for. Also, the ban increments are meant to go warning, 48 hour probation, 7 day probation, 30 day probation, permaban (10 year). Beer had only ever been probated once and never received a warning up until the point he was permabanned. CIG's mods have skipped the 7 day and 30 day and permabanned him, going against their own policies.

But why was he banned? Beer says all CIG tell him is 'multiple rule 3, 9, 11 violations' but we believe it is to do with him giving guidance to people on how to successfully get a refund from CIG if they don't want to support the project any longer. I'm not going to share that information here because I don't want to risk getting banned from the RSI forums.

The official Goonrathi stance on all this is that we don't care about Derek Smart. We care about playing video games and having fun. We want Star Citizen to be awesome.

Personally though, I am frustrated by CIG's lack of progress. But I don't believe what DS is selling either. Today's information has given me a bit more confidence, but not enough to believe we'll see everything we've been promised before 2018.

I'm happy to answer any reasonable questions anyone has on the above.

I understands that the Goonrathi suffers a lot for the bad rep the Goons had in EVE ( which was overall deserved imho) and on a personal note I am not really a fan of SA, but again it's not fair to burden the 'rathi with the swarm legacy when the game isn't even out. I understand it's very hard to change your image right now.

To be totally honest I think there are some guys from SA that are just waiting for a chance to "let the world burn" in SC but I'm sure there are plenty of people that just want to play the game.

About Beer, I personally didn't mind his attitude until very lately,  I agree that a one-shot 10 y ban is weird but he admittedly lent himself to be DS longa manus in the Vengeance thin. While I understand his being disgruntled allowing to be used a medium for that mole talk ( wtih all the implications there were in that) was the first step ( again, in my opinion)  from the "I'm unhappy" stand to the "burn it all " one.

Overall I hope he can enjoy the game with the Goons and everyone else once it's out and we can forget about all this mess then.

My dear Captain, you might be right that having an account on SAF is a perequisite for being a goon.
But having such an account doesn`t automatically make you one.

You know that, I know that, and everybody else does too.

But thanks for the response anyway.

Then would you please clarify specifically what you meant by saying "behaving like a goon" because your implication was quite the work of guilt by association.

About Beer, I personally didn't mind his attitude until very lately,  I agree that a one-shot 10 y ban is weird but he admittedly lent himself to be DS longa manus in the Vengeance thin. While I understand his being disgruntled allowing to be used a medium for that mole talk ( wtih all the implications there were in that) was the first step ( again, in my opinion)  from the "I'm unhappy" stand to the "burn it all " one.

Expressing his attitude wasn't what got him banned though. He, like many Goonrathi, are frustrated by CIG's behaviour of late. It is nothing to do with Derek Smart. As I said earlier, I'm somewhat frustrated myself and I have been for a while. The leak a few months back was hugely encouraging, but soon lost confidence again.

I was at PAX Australia for the FPS reveal and it was brilliant. However, at the event it looked polished enough that there shouldn't have been any reason not to release it shortly afterwards. Even if it were netcode as they said, they could have released it for LAN only play. 11 months later and we still have no FPS. Why? Many of us think it is only for marketing reasons, rather than any technical issue. They want to release something which is going to get best press rather than risk critical reviews in the gaming media.

Overall I hope he can enjoy the game with the Goons and everyone else once it's out and we can forget about all this mess then.

I hope so as well, but suspect it will be a long time before we get there. (note: I was a kickstarter backer where it was promised to be finished by November last year, so I think I have a right to be a little peeved about the delays notwithstanding the extra features longer development time will bring)

This thread is rapidly being derailed. This thread is to allow people to voice their opinions on what's been happening with the SC community and about the actions of a specific person who has made it their mission to try to see it brought down. This is not a thread about an organization, how members of an organization are, nor who or what makes such an organization. This also is not a thread about CIGs development cycle and peoples agreement or disagreement with the practices that CIG is following. If people would like to create a thread on CIG's development process they are welcome to do so, but it will be watched carefully. All SCB members shall refrain from further derailment of this thread or it shall remain permanently locked.

Thank you.

Just to put my two cents in here (which are really worth an estimated .5  of a cent)

The Goonrathi certainly have a place in Star Citizen, just as much as any other gaming group. I would only caution any participant in the SC universe to be careful how far they are willing to take any drama creating antics. I see CIG growing increasingly less tolerant of "douche-baggery" and I predict will be more willing to ban accounts (with or without refunds) going forward. So tread lightly! ;)

ON the DS front, I am hoping that the information provided at the CitCon event can help to curb the drama. We'll see.

ON the DS front, I am hoping that the information provided at the CitCon event can help to curb the drama. We'll see.

Has anyone see how many twitter posted me made during the presentation, like 100 :/ i think if this wasn't on the internet he'd be sent to see someone to help him thought his troubles possable get some medication to help him cope.

Found this on twitter.

This photo is the "beach condo" where he did his live stream from

CRDWUCBU8AAygPe.jpg

And this photo is the Marenas HOTEL in Miami. Notice any similarities?

CRDWdMIUcAAXLPO.jpg

Looks like he shot it in a hotel room and claims as if he owns the place to make people believe that he has money. I wonder if his wife (if he really has one) kicked him out or if he's hiding from hitmen or something. :P

@Quicksilver

He's not in Miami, if the details I've picked up on are right.  He is in Florida though.  It's not a hotel room.  I will not so much as post the city, because that's overstepping some bounds of class that we can't cross. 

I grew up very near where he lives.  Some of my relatives are still in that area.  It's a beautiful place, and I hope he enjoys living there.  

That said, I can also say that either he is lying about his PhD in mathematics, he has a worthless degree that he was herded through with social promotion, or it has been so long since he did any work himself that he doesn't remember anything.  That CAN happen.  You can go from math genius to derping in the checkout line over simple arithmetic.  He doesn't seem to remember any kind of proof writing whatsoever.

But, again, personal details that do not matter.

ALL that matters, really, in this thread is that he does not represent us.  If he attempts to bring any kind of class action against CIG, then I hope for threads like this one to serve as evidence that he does not represent the class, his representation does not represent the class, and he does not now nor has he ever spoken for us in any capacity, to any extent, in any manner whatsoever.

Our making fun of him will not change his behavior, so we should be more mature where we can.  It is absolutely true that he may have once had a great mind, but then he found the Internet and something broke.  He's a sick man.  The longer this topic makes noise, the more I realize that we can only beat him by demonstrating a higher quality of character.  Toward that end, I say that he needs compassionate encouragement to seek therapy, and I hope he pursues that advice before he's too old to have any life left that it can improve.

This was shocking for a few days, curious for a few days, and funny for a day or so.  Now it's sad.  If he wants to represent the Star Citizen backer community, then he can only do that by representing himself in a psychiatrist's office.

We're not teenagers goofing off on usenet anymore.  Maybe it's time we demonstrate that.

Edited by insomnia_shipping

@insomnia_shipping

Well, in my opinion he just should have kept his big lying troll mouth shut. He was the one that crossed the line and made it personal by attacking Chris and Sandi and actively trying to sabotage the game I put almost $2k in. I am merely responding in kind and will celebrate the day when this industry veteran joke is gone ;)

It really is difficult to bite your tongue regarding this - by attacking (yes, that's what he's doing) anybody in CIG and the Game, we are taking it personally, sometimes a tad too much. Maintain a cooler head, and your posts/rants/etc will be funnier (against both him and his followers) and much more rational than anything HWSNBN and company can come up with - as witnessed by his twitter vomit yesterday.

Edited by Gremlich

It really is difficult to bite your tongue regarding this - by attacking (yes, that's what he's doing) anybody in CIG and the Game, we are taking it personally, sometimes a tad too much. Maintain a cooler head, and your posts/rants/etc will be funnier (against both him and his followers) and much more rational than anything HWSNBN and company can come up with - as witnessed by his twitter vomit yesterday.

That part about the cool head... EXACTLY!  Counting all of the famous gaming journalists specializing in satire ever, there has been one that I know of.  I think we could use more, because satire helps us to criticize ourselves and each other by laughing at ourselves (and each other lol).  The line between satire and crazy rant is marked purely in tone.  Anything at all can be said to anybody at all; the puzzle is how to say it.  But the ability to solve that puzzle isn't the rare trait, as that's just a learned skill.  The rarity is someone who can bring themselves to say something others can't.  Derek Smart is wasting a talent with toxicity when some study and guided practice, with a little counseling on how to accept criticism, could turn him from grr troll into haha troll.