LightMonk

Book Thread, Literature, Light Novels, Novels

amazing-fantasy-book-1920-1080-6884.jpg

Before I got to watch Anime and read manga and stuff I was a heavy book worm, so I am a bit interested what kind of books you guys are reading.
Was reading mostly in german during those times and mainly Fantasy, SciFi novels at that.
Currently I am reading the Light Novel Overlord (which has a Anime Adaption running currently).
Am at Vol 3 and it has 5 Volumes so far. One of the best selling LN in Japan right now.

For the interested a link for epub or pdf and so on: https://mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg

1439624047552.thumb.jpg.89dbb5529f61f9e4

Surprising nobody arrived here before this entity, I'd of thought that this would be an extremely avid topic amongst SCB. Anyways, the world must suffer the likes of me first :D Anyways, to get to the point, since I was just a wee-tiny tweenager, I've depleted my supply of money on constant streams of books, maybe fitting in a GTX card there or a monitor here. Anyways, completely fascinated by books.

Back on topic, I'm currently reading something called "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson. Loving it so far. If you are a giant nerd like me, you probably already can guess the type of the book simply from the title, perhaps a partial sum of the plot as well. If you aren't.. well.. it's very sci-fi-ish. This is turning into one of my high-school book share nightmares. Fun. I'll now stop bumbling, apologies, I get carried away with my books sometimes. 

I'm currently on the 10th book of David Weber's Honor Harrington series. It's sci-fi military fiction with a strong female protagonist that combines "battleships in space" style combat with politics and a strong central narrative that follows Honor's navy career. Weber can tend to veer off into overly long explanations of both technical and political intricacies, but it's overall a very, very good series, and people who say there aren't enough strong women in sci-fi should be made aware of Honor Harrington.

Also a big reader, though I've never tried manga or anything like that. Some of my favorites are:

The Dark Tower series

Under the Dome (most of stephen king's stuff actually)

The Expanse (the best space sci-fi series i've read)

The Black Company series (great sword/sorcery written in a unique way)

and of course, Thrones!

Haven't read much lately due to school starting back up (and a current addiction to Parasyte), but I'll list my favorites. (Links go to book summaries)

The Kingkiller Chronicle (a trilogy) by Patrick Rothfuss (mature)

The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman (mature)

The Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld (more of a YA novel)

The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore (mature but lighthearted)

Trilogies galore!

I read a ton during holidays, and out of the hundreds of books that I have read, these were the most outstanding. 

I'm currently on the 10th book of David Weber's Honor Harrington series. It's sci-fi military fiction with a strong female protagonist that combines "battleships in space" style combat with politics and a strong central narrative that follows Honor's navy career. Weber can tend to veer off into overly long explanations of both technical and political intricacies, but it's overall a very, very good series, and people who say there aren't enough strong women in sci-fi should be made aware of Honor Harrington.

If you like that you'd probably enjoy two series by Elizabeth Moon. One is called the Serrano Legacy and the other Vatta's War. Strong female protagonists with an emphasis on a military career of sorts in space. Great stuff. 

Books are awesome, I would devide my interests into three groups...

1. Classic Literature: My russian phase with Gogol, Dostoyevsky, Pushkin, Tolstoy and Turgenev is pretty much over but boy could these men write. If you get your hands on anything by Nikolai Gogol read it immediatly, dead souls is still my favorite book. Goethe is always great too as is Dürrenmatt, "The Physicists" is an absolute must read. Currently I'm reading "In Search of Lost Time" by Marcel Proust.

2. Crime Fiction: Anything by Agatha Christie, especially the Hercule Poirot books. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

3. Aviation Literature: I read anything by and about WW2 pilots I get my hands on. Current book: "Baa Baa Black Sheep" by Gregory Boyington.