3D XPoint Memory Technology

Aleaf

Intel INTC +0.41% and Micron jointly announced a brand new memory technology today, dubbed 3D XPoint (Cross Point) memory. 3D XPoint is fundamentally a new class of memory, the first to be introduced in many years.

With current architectures, the system memory and storage are usually two separate subsystems. Take a PC for example. In most PCs, the storage attaches to the system via the SATA interface or PCIExpress EXPR +0.00% and system memory resides in its own slots, connected directly to the memory controller in a CPU. They’re two separate entities, that each require their own interconnects, slots, ports, etc.  And they operate at vastly different performance levels.

3D XPoint technology, however, because it is so fast and durable (at least according to Intel INTC +3.45%and Micron), could be used to replace both system memory and storage with a single repository, attached to the processor via a much wider bandwidth interface—or perhaps reside right even on the same die down the road. This type of configuration could not only enable much smaller form factors and simplify manufacturing, but be much more powerful and responsive too.  Imagine an ultra-small form factor PC, for example, that can instantly power up and start off from the exact point it was shut down, with hundreds of gigabytes of high-speed memory, that’s capable of transferring data at many gigabytes or even terabytes per second.  And that the data can be accessed in Nano-second scales. System memory limitation could essentially be eliminated and there would be no latency associated with copying data from a relatively slow storage device into system memory.

sources : http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2015/07/28/3d-xpoint-memory-technology-could-usher-in-a-new-golden-age-of-electronics/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2015/07/28/intel-and-micron-jointly-announce-game-changing-3d-xpoint-memory-technology/

We’re talking about game changing stuff here. 3D XPoint memory could usher in entire new system architectures in not only the consumer space, but in the enterprise as well.  As it stands now, Big Data analytics can use all of the storage capacity and latency reduction available. Enormous amounts of time are spent copying data to and from storage to memory.  Should Intel’s and Micron’s 1000x performance improvement claims ring true, big data analytics could get an unprecedented shot in the arm.

The potential applications for the technology is so wide reaching and disruptive, it’s difficult to imagine all of the things it could enable moving forward at this early juncture. If you follow technology closely though, today’s announcement is about as exciting as it gets.

Edited by Aleaf

I wish..

Over the last 10 yrs alone I have heard so many 'claims', like this, promising technology, that unfortunately, even after many years, I still haven't seen them.

We got our HBM. And this one seems real compared to something like graphene cpu since it was trouble some to make because they got stuck in the 1 position when they got maked. 

About HBM when was it first promised? Or concepted?

Actually, I think they have already implemented this in Samsung SSDs and new AMD and nVidia graphics cards. This technology is already here.

No thats HBM, 3D Xpoint is something similar just better architecture I think.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/storage/intel_and_micron_announce_3d_xpoint_memory_-_1000x_faster_than_nand/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsioS35D-HY

I havent read much yet so dunno( neither watched the vid). It might be this is just HBM and intel just want their own IP so they makes it different

Edited by zerkerz