Recently there have been a rash of problems both within the SCB Marketplace and on Reddit, with a new scammer (or group of scammers), who are using multiple different (possibly stolen) identities, and various PayPal Business Accounts.

The scammer typically operates by contacting people who have posted in the Marketplace under the "Want To Buy" section.  Once the scammer has identified a likely target they contact them via PM with an offer for the exact ship that was being asked for at either just below Market Price, or just above.  This scammer (or group of scammers) has been identified several times, but continues to reappear with a new identity, but using a similar M.O.

Things to watch out for:

1. Relatively new accounts that were created within the last week, and have little (or no) other post count or transaction history.
  2. False-reputation purposed sale topics. In order to make it look like they have reputation, scammers sometimes create fake sale topics and comment on it using an alt account. Sometimes you can detect these by looking at the time interval between the comments, or if the sale was finished very quickly. 
  3. The Use of PayPal Business Accounts.
  4. Quick responses to new "Want To Buy" posts, that miraculously happen to have the exact ship desired or that offer terms that seem almost "too good to be true" (if it seems "too good to be true" it probably is).
  5. Terms of Service used in the transaction, that are written in such a way as to attempt to get the potential buyer to acknowledge that sending payment constitutes having already received the desired digital good(s).

Added by Rellim:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_trades/wiki/blacklist 
Reddit's blacklist including paypal email accounts to look out for. 

--- paypal removed the verified paypal account check method ---

Edited by Rellim
added #2

They're also:

- Quick to take communications to programs that either utilize VOIP or have poor chat logging systems (Steam),

- Happy to accept non-refundable forms of payment (steam wallet, cs:go, amazon giftcards),

- Quick to lower their offer if the buyer shows signs of backing out ("oh, well it need it gone today, I'll knock off $100"),

- Likely to refuse the use of middlemen.

I've made a few transactions on Paypal, talked to sellers on Skype, Here's one scammer:  

Skype Name: sky.boost;

from: Mississauga, Canada.   Have quite a few contact on Skype;

Use a business Paypal account: VirtualProductions;

Name: Leo Fisher;

Email Used: virtualproductions12@gmail.com.

Buyer beware!

^I don't think that's a place to list scammers. Rather one to list what they do.

Btw they also tend to have weird names combined with random numbers.
Many of those guys are really uncreative.

World would be a better place if we are able to name them, all scammer using Paypal got have something wrong in their head. If Paypal decided to press charges, they are going away for good. Don't you have to use your ID and bank account to register? For business it needs business number to confirm. I've no idea how they are doing this.

I possibly have a few more list later on.

World would be a better place if we are able to name them, all scammer using Paypal got have something wrong in their head. If Paypal decided to press charges, they are going away for good. Don't you have to use your ID and bank account to register? For business it needs business number to confirm. I've no idea how they are doing this.

You still can create a PayPal account without leaving a bank account. Also you still can use it to send and receive money. Since there's no bank account linked you can't start with sending money. But you don't need that for scamming anyway because you just want to receive money.

You still can create a PayPal account without leaving a bank account. Also you still can use it to send and receive money. Since there's no bank account linked you can't start with sending money. But you don't need that for scamming anyway because you just want to receive money.

Cannot get a verified account without tying it to a bank. If you end up buying from an unverified account, then you're just plain...Durrrrrrrrrr

That's not the point. It is possible to use such accounts. And without a doubt there are hopeless "people" who wouldn't mind that.

The point actually is that people on markets can either exhibit smart or stupid behaviors. We have done as much as is humanly possible to provide info, guides, warnings, and PSAs to the community and market to minimize the impact of these poor choices.  Unfortunately, people don't always follow them, and that is when my inbox explodes with messages about a scammer. We take care of them when they occur (pre-empt if possible) and remind users to follow prudent habits; one of those habits happens to be making sure an acct from paypal is verified. :)

Btw @Gallitin did you ever considered to set a limitations for new accounts?
Something like "You have to be a member for at least 1 week before you can post"-limit in the marketplace.
It's quite tiresome to see people creating accounts for quick scams (like the one in the link above).

I think that will be a bother for every scammer. Sure, it's no solid solution. But it will discourage a lot of scammers on a really simple way.

1 hour ago, Gustav.Henrik said:

I wonder this too since I'm going to sell some ships I don't need and would like to use this marketplace so I don't have to pay middleman fees.

this what i got from chim ;)

Generally if you do a paypal verification search for the user's email it will show as a business or personal account. Another way is when an invoice is sent it shows as from a business account.

According to PayPal;
" When it comes to digital goods, there isn’t any buyer or seller protection on them. This is the same for any virtual item purchased. Due to this you won’t be able to open a case though the PayPal system. "

So if you get scammed they don't give a FK. They don't offer buyer/seller protection so it's out of their hands you get scammed it's your fault. This is mainly why I'm very surprised people are actually buying such expensive ships. It wouldn't be that hard to Photoshop a jav/idris to show you owning it then you get a 1-2k windfall. Just saying takes balls of steel  if you ask me to buy on the grey market.

On 8/19/2015 at 6:55 PM, Chimaera said:

There are some "verified accounts" (especially business ones) that are being used by scammers.

I just tried to verify a buyer, with PP and PP has changed their rules and no longer reveal any information about the perspective buyer on line. What they do, is give you a special code that you need to call in with and verbally confirm that the email address is linked to a verified PP acct. This is bullshit in my opinion... the PP rep could only confirm that the email is  verified  but wont tell you "since when" and she claims its new rules to protect the identify of the buyer!!! I was also told, that as the seller i'm protected against fraud... yeah right but these scammers are a lot smarter than PP and i think it just makes selling more of a leap of faith than anything close to professional.

AJ

@Karmaslap, there are a lot of really good middlemen but i dont think they can discover any more information than you or I. They just know the risks better and how to retrieve this money if things go sideways... but at a cost.

The best way to verify PP acct holders was to utilize the PP link for this purpose. now its just one more step and sitting on the phone... PP doesn't even have a special number of automated selection to make the process easy for sellers.

AJ

13 hours ago, AstroJak said:

I just tried to verify a buyer, with PP and PP has changed their rules and no longer reveal any information about the perspective buyer on line. What they do, is give you a special code that you need to call in with and verbally confirm that the email address is linked to a verified PP acct. This is bullshit in my opinion... the PP rep could only confirm that the email is  verified  but wont tell you "since when" and she claims its new rules to protect the identify of the buyer!!! I was also told, that as the seller i'm protected against fraud... yeah right but these scammers are a lot smarter than PP and i think it just makes selling more of a leap of faith than anything close to professional.

AJ

We have been aware of this change for some time now, but there is little to be done on this matter. The reason for the PSA is that there were people actually using VERIFIED Business accounts (as in they came up as verified businesses when the buyer or seller saw it on an invoice). This is a new step for scammers in that there appears to be a desire to try to scam so much that they're willing to go the extra steps to get a business verification in order to seem "legitimate".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By EauRouge
      Selling my Mustang Omega package. Asking £70. Fairly rare ship, received it several years ago with a new AMD card and they haven't been given out since.
      It contains the following in the image below.

• By By-Jokese
      Willing to sell my lovely Sabre LTI. I'm in a situation where I need money so, It must go...
      I'm selling it for 170€.
      Accepting PayPal; must be PayPal verified and email for PayPal and Gifting must be the same. Payment must be received prior to delivery to complete the transaction. No Refunds or Cancellations will be available.
      Mi RSI Account: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/By-Jokese

• By Painmiester
      PayPal is making some changes to there user agreement PayPal privacy policy
      They will be updating the list of items that will not be eligible for PayPal purchase protection, or seller protection.

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL USER AGREEMENT, THE PAYPAL PRIVACY POLICY, PAYPAL HERE AGREEMENT AND THE PAYPAL WEBSITE PAYMENTS PRO AND VIRTUAL TERMINAL AGREEMENT
      Effective Date: March 29, 2017

PayPal is making some changes to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, PayPal Here Agreement and the PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal Agreement that will be effective as to all PayPal users on March 29, 2017.  We encourage you to review this Policy Update and familiarize yourself with the changes that are being made.  If you do not agree to these amendments, you may close your account before March 29, 2017. 

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement
      A summary of changes is provided.
      We’ve updated the “Payment Method Used for My Transaction” section to describe changes that give you more control and choice in how you want to pay.  Updates include how to select a preferred payment method, the ability to see and choose from multiple payment methods when you check out on a merchant website, and greater clarity about how Preapproved Payments work and how you can manage them. We are changing the currency conversion spread charged when we perform a currency conversion for you from charging an additional 2.5% over the exchange rate set by our bank to charging an additional 3.0% over the exchange rate set by our bank. We are updating the list of items that are not eligible for Purchase Protection.  The updates to the list are: Financial products or investments of any kind. Donations. Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e., payments not sent using your PayPal account). We are updating the eligibility requirements for Purchase Protection to require that you must respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in a timely manner. We are adding a non-discouragement clause for sellers that provides: In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterize PayPal as a payment method. At all of your points of sale (in whatever form), you agree not to try to dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal; and, if you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal, you agree to treat PayPal’s payment mark at least at par with other payment methods offered. We are changing the standard transaction fee for sellers selling goods or services online to buyers outside the U.S. from 3.9% to 4.4% plus the existing fixed fee based on the currency. We are changing the standard transaction fee for in store transactions received from buyers outside the U.S. from 3.7% to 4.2%. We are removing the tier based fees we charge to nonprofits who receive payments from senders outside the U.S. and are charging a flat rate of 3.7% plus the existing fixed fee based on the currency for all such transactions.     We are changing the micropayment fees for in store transactions received from buyers outside the U.S. from 6.0% to 6.5% plus the existing fixed fee based on the currency. We are clarifying that we will assess the $20.00 chargeback processing fee for sellers who win a chargeback but are not eligible for Seller Protection. We are adding the ability to create a negative balance in your PayPal account when we reverse a payment to cover eBay buyer protection claims that the seller loses. We are updating the basic requirements for Seller Protection by requiring that you must respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in a timely manner or you will not be eligible for Seller Protection. We are updating the list of items that are not eligible for Seller Protection.  The updates to the list are: Donations. Financial products or investments of any kind. Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay. PayPal is updating its set off rights allowing us to debit a PayPal account when an amount owed to PayPal, our affiliates or eBay, Inc. becomes past due by removing the 180 day past due requirement. We’ve updated our list of restricted activities to ensure we can protect our customers from attempts to misuse or gain unauthorized access to our systems.  We’ve also made clear that these restricted activities include actions to PayPal-operated systems or systems operated on PayPal’s behalf.  We are making clear that our existing rights to limit or terminate your access to PayPal systems applies to systems operated on PayPal’s behalf.  We have also added the right to suspend your access to any of the PayPal services.  We are updating our limitation of liability section to clarify that existing limitations of liability apply to situations affecting systems operated on PayPal’s behalf in addition to PayPal operated systems.   
      Amendments to the PayPal Privacy Policy
      The update to the Privacy Policy is effective March 29, 2017.  Our Privacy Policy explains the types of data PayPal collects and how we use it.  From time to time, we make updates to the Privacy Policy - for example, to reflect changes in our business, to provide you with better services, or to ensure that we meet our legal obligations.  Importantly, we don’t ever sell your account information to third parties for marketing purposes.  A summary of changes is provided below.
      We clarified that we use cloud-based service providers to store and process information which may include personal data. “Cloud-based” services means services that are based online and can be located in the US or anywhere in the world.  
      Amendments to the PayPal Here Agreement
      The update to the PayPal Here Agreement is effective March 29, 2017.  A summary of changes is provided.
      We are changing the cross-border transactions fee for card present and PayPal transactions from 3.7% to 4.2%. We are changing the cross-border transaction fee for keyed and scanned transactions from 4.5% + $0.15 to 5.0% + $0.15. We are also adding pricing for verified charitable organizations that will match existing pricing for non-charities.  
      Amendments to the PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal Agreement
      The update to the PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal Agreement is effective March 29, 2017.  A summary of changes is provided.
      We are changing the additional fee for cross-border payments received from buyers outside the United States from 1.0% to 1.5% added to the transaction fees. We are adding pricing for verified charitable organizations to the transaction fee table.  Direct Payments will cost 2.2% + $0.30 and Virtual Terminal Payments will cost 2.4% + $0.30.  

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full
    • By Chimaera
      For those of you who don't know what Anovos.com is, it's the main/major website that's been licensed to provide movie/tv-show set accurate replicas of costumes for IP like Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, etc... It's also been listed by CBS as one of the only licensed places where a person can purchase a costume from and still abide by their draconian rules for making Star Trek Fan Films. So, given that they're an American (supposedly) company, and that they are the place that gets all the licensing, I figured I should give them a shot, even though they are quite expensive.
      August 18, I saw there was a "sale" going on with Anovos for a number of BSG-centered items. I checked with their CSR reps using their online chat tool (I was up late because I was off-work during August) to make sure that if I ordered an Apollo Viper jacket, it would be able to be shipped to HK. I was informed that it would be shipped to HK, so I purchased the jacket. 
      19 September, after waiting more than a month, and seeing no update on my order, I put in a ticket for assistance and was informed a week later that the ticket was being "escalated to fulfillment". - At this time, the jacket was listed as "out of stock".
      05 October, after no replies to the ticket or update on the order, I stated in the ticket I requested this to be escalated to a supervisor, a day later they replied that it would be shipped out "within a few days".
      15 October, I received an email blast from Anovos, stating they were having a "final stock" sale of the Apollo Viper Jacket, which was kind of interesting to me, seeing as how I still hadn't received mine.
      25 October, after waiting for and never receiving an update or reply to several more inquiries by me about the product, @Edenstar offered to chat with their live-chat folks (I can't because their operating hours=sleep time for me), within a day she had people telling her they were investigating the issue. Later that day I received a communication that the item was "back ordered" and out of stock, and that there had been an "error of accounting" from their "third party customer fulfillment center". Translation: We over-sold items more than once, and our manufacturer in China didn't make enough of them so we're behind on things, but still selling them because people want them badly. 
      Today, I received confirmation that the order had been cancelled and that I would be receiving a refund within 2-4 business days. 
      Yet, at this exact moment, the item appears to be on sale.

So, with that, I'll leave you all with my experience and a warning to be wary of these guys. They are all about trying to sell shit they don't have in stock, then drawing the process out. I wish I had investigated them further, as I would've found they are rated "F" by the BBB in the US. 
      http://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/costumes-masquerade-and-theatrical/anovos-productions-in-kenosha-wi-1000018801/complaints
      So, folks, word of caution, when trying to get stuff, always good to back check.

• By IceManZaroth™
      You all know me and who I am, im an old time vet and im back here selling another ship, this sale will be Paypal only and will be my final sale i'm gonna keep what ships I have left.

I'm asking for $130 and the ship with LTI is yours

Please PM me only with serious Offers.