Why Star Citizen will be a complete disaster: Opinion Article

Doopsums

hm...so why is he mad that he got a refund? At least he got his money back for this "vaporware". The more I read from him, the more he loses the little credibility that he had.

He simply used the heated mood to stir things even more and is still threating with legal actions, even though he's got nothing more to lose. Of course for the sake of all backers.

He's contradicting himself, as he says he wants to see Star Citizen become a reality, but is more and more into the direction of it becoming never a reality and a scam.

btw. we should now name Sandi, Sandra. According to this person, her real name is Sandra Roberts

hm...so why is he mad that he got a refund? At least he got his money back for this "vaporware". The more I read from him, the more he loses the little credibility that he had.

He simply used the heated mood to stir things even more and is still threating with legal actions, even though he's got nothing more to lose. Of course for the sake of all backers.

He's contradicting himself, as he says he wants to see Star Citizen become a reality, but is more and more into the direction of it becoming never a reality and a scam.

btw. we should now name Sandi, Sandra. According to this person, her real name is Sandra Roberts

You need to understand that what he doesn't want is the PU to exist, he's fine with SQ42 ( a single player experience).

The reason is that  creating the "unified combat experience" is his holy grail and it looks to me he doesn't want someone else to do it.

Look at what he says he'd do if he was in charge: release SQ42, "reconsider" SM ( read as : cut heavily the fps world) and then later launch a smaller PU.

In other words he doesn't want it to be a 360 degrees experience... which is what he always tried to achieve.

@Riley Egret  

He's too late though.  Check out this quote from the recent SM progress update: "A big focus of these changes is making sure that movement transitions are serialized."  Serialization can have two meanings in programming, and the second one (loop unrolling) doesn't make sense in this context, since each animation can transition into more than one other animation.  So, they're using the academic definition of serialization: the formatting of data for storage in a file or transmission over a network.

As in, their animation transitions are getting a file format for rapid loading and fast network transmission.  As in, the actual underlying systems that Derek could never figure out are already finished, and they're now optimizing and adding bells and whistles to ease later work.  

If he wanted to cause drama to try and derail this effort, then thank goodness he overslept for a few years.

Since Elite: Dangerous likes to drop famous names through NPCs, they should name an NPC after Derek Smart.  It should be in a huge, intimidating ship that tears itself apart when it turns or accelerates and lights itself on fire when it uses its weapons.  It should be triggered by high-volume traffic, show up too late, and be too loud as it destroys itself.

Edited by insomnia_shipping

If he wanted to cause drama to try and derail this effort, then thank goodness he overslept for a few years.

And I think that's it.  CIG has acquired parts of the original dev team for Crye-those guys are geniuses!  Honestly, CR's team may be going through some turmoil, but deep down, they have the heart they need and they'll make a game before this all said and done.  

And I think that's it.  CIG has acquired parts of the original dev team for Crye-those guys are geniuses!  Honestly, CR's team may be going through some turmoil, but deep down, they have the heart they need and they'll make a game before this all said and done.  

I'll tell you one thing nobody is saying about this Derek guy too.  If he vanished and made something nobody ever created before -- something truly original -- and then came back into the spotlight as a repentant class act, he'd reap sales like a long-watered crop.  The beauty of truly original games is that they don't have to be perfect right away because they're the first of their kind.  Imagine if he crafted mechanics whereby talking a lot of trash is how you do combat.  Dude could nail it.

Last thought: Dude is a clown, but if nobody ever points out what he could feasibly accomplish well, then he'll probably just remain a clown.  Sometimes encouragement in the right direction, suddenly from out of the storm, is all a person needs.

Edited by insomnia_shipping

From Steam:

original.jpg

What a surprise! Derek Smart get enraged when he demands a refund and gets it, yet does the same thing himself when he's in a position of power!

Sounds like a hypocritical sociopath.

Sociopath (def.): "a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience."

Antisocial (def.): "contrary to the laws and customs of society; devoid of or antagonistic to sociable instincts or practices."

As a denizen of the Internet, and having concluded numerous times in thread that he is a troll, I believe we can justly call him a hypocritical sociopath - not necessarily as someone with a personality disorder, but certainly so with his online persona.

While his points should not be subject to an ad hominem interpretation, the hermeneutics of suspicion dictate that all texts should be understood within the context of its environment and biases, its author's environment and biases, your own environment and biases, etc. As such, understanding that from his self-presentation in an online forum setting, I cannot hold what he says in good faith.

So I'm writing him off. There's many other reasonable critics out there that I can turn to. Sir Smart simply won't be one of them.

Case closed.

From Steam:

original.jpg

To put that into DS's perspective:

O3DHIA5.gif

The only reason that Derek Smart got his arse banhammered by CIG is because Chris Roberts and certainly a good number of backers, don't want to have trolldiots in our game. If someone is clearly intending to sabotage the entire game development by their unconstructive actions (anywhere) and in doing so wastes not only CIG 's time but also every single backer's money, especially when they are totally incompetent at forming an A* Team or making at least a single respectable game title, they will get to enjoy the privilege as such. And in doing so, CIG has every right to act as they see fit, including the execution of Section 5 of Kickstarter's terms to ban them from their forums and the game. Both of which that they should do, without notice to perpetrators (who are especially toxic).

Afterthought: Figures that DS will mention this doesn't apply to him*, or some other excuses. And the irony flows out of the gate.

"You can’t always choose what happens to you. But you can always choose how you respond."

CIG dealt this magnificently. 

Edited by CheeseNorris

@Riley Egret  

Since Elite: Dangerous likes to drop famous names through NPCs, they should name an NPC after Derek Smart.  It should be in a huge, intimidating ship that tears itself apart when it turns or accelerates and lights itself on fire when it uses its weapons.  It should be triggered by high-volume traffic, show up too late, and be too loud as it destroys itself.

And is also made to go "plaid"

hqdefault.jpg

I may pledge for a Merlin in Dr. Derek Smart's honor, because he'll never know what it's like to be part of a successful and memorable game. (PhD = Push here Dummy)

YPfqxCl.jpg

Edited by Gremlich

United Business Media: Ban Derek Smart from GDC

EgCjRULoGTCnFNT-800x450-noPad.jpg?143752

Derek K. Smart is Toxic.

He's produced countless flame wars on the internet, thrown out lies to the media about competing products, and made one too many vague legal threats.

The out-of-date games he produces shows that he no longer contributes to the game development industry and is really just a hobbyist.

Its time for him to go.

LETTER TO
United Business Media
Ban Derek Smart from GDC

I fail to see what this even has to do with Star Citizen. Other than that he's still on his crusade against Star Citizen.

Derek Smart seems to be the epitome of the naysayer against Star Citizen - that's what this is about. It may also be more about his narcissistic megalomania and the fact that CR is highly thought of within/without the game development community whilst he - Herr Dr Smart, is not.

You know Derek Smart thinks about everybody else like this:

Edited by Gremlich

I would almost agree with you, were it not for the fact that I don't want this man to get more (public) attention then he deserves.. which is none at all. Because he wants attention. He craves it and goes looking for it on the internet. He's a jealous, bitter man who never accomplished any kind of success with his games and just wants to deny others.. especially those who are developing successful space games because he never could. As mentioned before, its obvious a game like Star Citizen is his holy grail and he can't stand the fact that he's not the guy making it.

Can we not petition somewhere that the internet be changed so that there is a filter placed on his name. Whenever someone mentions him it removes his name and replaces it with something amusing. He clearly loves himself (or maybe not?) and loves the sound of his own name, so what could be more insulting than to remove it from the interwebs!

One can only dream.

Can we not petition somewhere that the internet be changed so that there is a filter placed on his name. Whenever someone mentions him it removes his name and replaces it with something amusing. He clearly loves himself (or maybe not?) and loves the sound of his own name, so what could be more insulting than to remove it from the interwebs!

One can only dream.

Hmm I don't know... I'm a big fan of this "freedom of speech" thing. Even if that means the other guy can also spout his bullsh*t.

You know Derek Smart thinks about everybody else like this:

that's my favorite scene by far. "keep firing, assholes!"

United Business Media: Ban Derek Smart from GDC

Derek K. Smart is Toxic.

He's produced countless flame wars on the internet, thrown out lies to the media about competing products, and made one too many vague legal threats.

The out-of-date games he produces shows that he no longer contributes to the game development industry and is really just a hobbyist.

Its time for him to go.

LETTER TO
United Business Media
Ban Derek Smart from GDC

This will achieve the opposite of its intent, just as has CIG forcibly refunding DS's pledge. It is called the Streisand effect.