CC-Corp

Building a new pc by years end!

Hey everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on what kinda build I should start to look a buying parts for, to play star citizen in 2-4k res with a budget of about $2000 - 3000

I know cases and power supply's go on sale and are usually fairly universal and I was planning to build it by years end, so not in any kinda rush.

So looking for what I should be looking at to go on sale or wait for its release this year.

Hey everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on what kinda build I should start to look a buying parts for, to play star citizen in 2-4k res with a budget of about $2000 - 3000

I know cases and power supply's go on sale and are usually fairly universal and I was planning to build it by years end, so not in any kinda rush.

So looking for what I should be looking at to go on sale or wait for its release this year.

You can check out www.pcpartspicker.com and use it to do price watches on the stuff you want. That way when it goes on sale you can buy it at the lowest price possible. It also has a build tool so you can spec out what you want and see the cost. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I caution ANYBODY that wants to do 4K gaming to go to this site. You need to compare your viewing distance with the monitor size. Remember, just because something is new and shiny doesn't mean it's for you - even if you CAN afford it.

http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

viewing distance on the vertical axis, monitor size on the horizontal

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart-small.png

As far as the other things, you need to decide whether you want to maximize your spending amount by selecting to go either AMD or Intel. I chose AMD and while I know others are Intel centric, my gaming experience is not based on whether my computer components can function on a Benchmark - because I don't play benchmarks. It's like deciding on which CIG ship to pledge for based only on the Stats.

So, the more inexpensive route is AMD - go for at least the FX-8350 on an 99FX mobo (I recommend ASUS) and get at a minimum 16 GB 1600 or 1866 RAM (2x8GB sticks so you can expand later) An SSD, of course, minimum 256GB if you don't play a lot of different games. If you do, a 500GB is recommended. I am running SC on a separate 128GB Crucial M4 and my OS/everything else on a Samsung 840 256GB EVO. A 1TB minimum for random storage (I have 11TB because of my photography)(most people don't need this)

Intel can possibly cost between $200-$500 more depending how you shop. You can econo-buy for Intel, but your products may not be what I consider premium. I recommend the best rated brands - preferences vary among our members and I hope they can give you useful advice not based on benchmarks alone.

There will be newer tech out later this year, like the Intel SSD 750 series (PCI). Go to Computer Power User for news on new stuff

Edited by Gremlich

I caution ANYBODY that wants to do 4K gaming to go to this site. You need to compare your viewing distance with the monitor size. Remember, just because something is new and shiny doesn't mean it's for you - even if you CAN afford it.

http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

viewing distance on the vertical axis, monitor size on the horizontal

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart-small.png

Thanks for the info, an yes i have a 31" 4k monitor and I do see the difference playing SC even if I only get 5-10 Fps when moving lol looks so different!

and I'm probabale going to aim for Intel and nvidea this build, we will see.

not impressed with the current releases of graphics cards
not so big improvement over my 295x2
but then it will probably be 2016 or 2017 before SC is in an enjoyable state where I play it enough so I need more power

very happy with my case http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-blackout-edition if thats helpful but theres so many awesome case options these days

Intel will release Skylake later this year. Since you are not upgrading, it might be a good option, since Skylake will also support ddr4. (well we still need to see if ddr4 brings any improvement over ddr3)

Not sure if Nvidia will release a new card this year, so the only cards suitable for 4k are the Titan X, the 980ti or the Fury x. Although I doubt a single gpu will be future proof (at least for 4k)

I've been desperately trying to resist building a new system until early 2016, but I'm this >.<  close to pulling the trigger on this build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vnsKD3

I did want to hold out for Pascal, but I have zero interest in 4K. I do plan on eventually adding a second GPU and going with 3 monitors, but that's later on.

Edited by NumberSix

I would suggest saving money on the GPU and getting something that will work temporarily until the prices drop further. I'm using a GTX 680 right now and it works pretty decently. 

I would suggest saving money on the GPU and getting something that will work temporarily until the prices drop further. I'm using a GTX 680 right now and it works pretty decently. 

Did you read my post? i said i was building come years end, i have a computer that can play SC just not in 4k, it has a GTX 680 in it

that being said it had 2x 560s in it when it was built and i'm never buys the middle of the road cards again, only buying high end even if it's more. No more TEMP fixes that may just cost you more in the end. 

Similar to Jon, I still am having trouble justifying a GPU upgrade.

I am earmarking 5k to spend next year on two identical $2500 PC builds. My wife needs an upgrade and I want an upgrade.

Try playing SC in 4k then you'll see ;)

$3000 is a fair amount so you wouldn't really need to skimp on anything.

Using that pcpartpicker site I put this list together.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8n44Vn

It ticks your boxes. Just under $3k.

High performance CPU. decent cooler, 32gb fast ram for future proofing, 1TB SSD for a decent amount of games, good MB for easy/stable overclocking, sturdy and easy to access case with decent air flow, reliable psu and most importantly 2x 980Ti's.

Couldn't really go wrong with that. If you can't run 4k easily on that Ill buy and eat a hat.

Edited by Minted

I'm doing about the same, my budget is $4k...

I'm building before year's end as well.  Planning either a i7 6700k or 5820 build, still not sure if the 2 extra cores on the 5820 beat out the higher base clock on the 6700.  Probably going to go MSI gaming mobo, I've had good luck with those.  Otherwise I'm looking at 32gb ddr4 2400(may go higher on the freq, still need to do some research), a 512gb Samsung m.2 ssd, haven't decided on cooler it is a tossup between Corsair H 1xx series or Swiftech(swiftech system sort of winning out so I can watercool my gpu(s) in the future).  

I'm probably going to buy a 'tweener gpu for this build, either a second hand 700 series nvidia or a 2gb ram 960.  I need to build a new system badly, but the gpus I'm most interested in aren't out yet and won't be for a bit.  Ultimately I want to see what the die shrink has in store before I jump.  If it doesn't wow me I'll probably go SLI 980ti or perhaps amd 390x in crossfire, hopefully the 'tweener card will carry me through my basic gaming  needs until the big boys come on the market for a proper comparison.

EDIT:  Goddammit, I total went all  necromancer on this thread...

Edited by Osclin