Force your "Get Windows 10" Icon to appear *GUIDE*

Timziito

I had this issue of the Icon not appearing even tho i had the update.

It is on a timer to appear everyday 8 PM, NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!

How to FORCE the update icon to appear in task manager:

Open Control Panel Open Administrative Tools Open Task Scheduler Expand on the left "Task Scheduler Library" Expand
MICROSOFT
Expand
WINDOWS
Scroll down and Expand
SETUP
Click the folder
"GWXTriggers"
On the far right is a bunch of options Click
"Run"

it should now appear for you if you have the right update

EDIT: You do ofcourse need the Windows update : KB3035583

but that update was release in mid May You can check for it in update history

I have the option to upgrade but why would I want to upgrade to 10 from windows 7? I wasnt stupid enough to upgrade to 8 so I dont need a service pack labeled as a "new os"

Plus....a huge company offering something to you for free? I wonder how many data mining and keyloger programs are included to spy on what you are doing and send the info back.....

I have the option to upgrade but why would I want to upgrade to 10 from windows 7? I wasnt stupid enough to upgrade to 8 so I dont need a service pack labeled as a "new os"

Plus....a huge company offering something to you for free? I wonder how many data mining and keyloger programs are included to spy on what you are doing and send the info back.....

So you are here looking for a guide to put on a tinfoil hat?

Nothing ever comes free.. so give up your freedom and become ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US!!

The real question is how to get rid of it......

There are guides on removing it Most windows updates can be uninstalled with the remove tool in the Control panel

It's good for an entire year from June 29th.

Windows 10 free for all Windows 8.1 and 7 users for first year after release [updated]

Microsoft has just announced the first pricing information for Windows 10 at its preview event today. The biggest news is that the new OS will be completely free for current Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users for its first year of availability—after that time period has expired, OS upgrades will presumably need to be paid for as they are currently (though Microsoft was less than clear on this point, it made no mention of a paid, Office 365-style subscription for Windows upgrades). The Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 users will also be free.

"Once a device is upgraded to Windows 10, we'll be keeping it current for the supported lifetime of the device," said Terry Myerson, executive vice president of the Operating Systems Group. "With Windows 10, we think of Windows as a service... The question 'what version are you running' will cease to make sense."

Windows 7 and Windows 8.x collectively run on well over half of the world's Windows PCs, meaning that a wide swath of existing Windows users will be able to make the jump to Windows 10 free of charge. A larger user base, especially in the first year after Windows 10's official release, increases the chances that developers will target Windows 10 and its new APIs.

Users of the Windows 10 Technical Preview have already gotten a taste of this continuous stream of updates, and the release version of Windows 10 will be no different. As we've covered previously, Microsoft will offer different "channels" for different users—one that gets new features as soon as they're available, one that never gets new features, and one that allows administrators to roll out new features at their own pace. Security updates will be published at the same rate they are today. This new update scheme is an effort to balance delivering new features to consumers while not upsetting businesses that prefer to roll updates out more slowly.

Apple has offered the last two versions of its OS X desktop operating systems for free, but this is a first for Microsoft—it has offered discounts for new Windows upgrades in the past, but it has never made them available for free.

Update: Microsoft fielded some questions about this upgrade in its Q&A session after the event. The company "hasn't decided" how it will handle upgrades from Windows 7 or 8.1 after the first year of Windows 10 availability ends, and it is "working on an update for Windows RT," but doesn't have further details to share.

Update 2: A blog post from Terry Myerson clears up what "Windows as a service" means, though the duration of "the supported lifetime of the device" is still foggy. "This is more than a one-time upgrade," writes Myerson. "Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device—at no additional charge."

Didn't install the update, I want to see as few advertisement on my PC as possible.

Windows 8 is a great OS, much better than 7 in terms of usability. There were just too many reviewers out there that couldn't handle a Windows without a start button (that wasn't needed any more).

It doesn't really make sense to use ANY Windows OS if you are afraid of data mining or keyloggers, unless you make an afford and secure it as far as that is possible.

If you are afraid of data mining, stop uising the internet, the NSA knows everything about you, they just need a reason to search their databases for your name, your address, your preferred places or one of your unique passwords, whatever.

Welcome to the real world...

I'm confused. It's bad and you want to get rid of it but you wish to be able to change your mind at some point?  Why not just wait until after the reviews are in and decide to upgrade or not then?

No. I will get 10. I just don't want the stupid tray icon. I signed up via email. Now go away. I don't like change in my system tray icons....

They're adopting Apple's ideology and making updates free in order to increase market share enough to generate substantial income for their store.  "If the product is free, you're the product" should hopefully not apply.

Yep, I checked manually and there is a script to make it show but without that update it won't work. And I can't figure out a way to force that particular update.

http://techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-get-windows-10-app-icon-windows-7-or-8-1-taskbar.html

Weird, it just showed up as an optional update.  I had installed all available this morning and just now I got two more.