MISC Reliant - Mini Hauler & Variants

VoA

I am looking at the stats (even though they are notoriously wrong:) and see that the reliant is compatible with the avenger in maneuverability and armament (though not speed) yet has more than twice the cargo. Do you guys think the avenger is going to be buffed, the reliant nerved or just nothing? 

I am looking at the stats (even though they are notoriously wrong:) and see that the reliant is compatible with the avenger in maneuverability and armament (though not speed) yet has more than twice the cargo. Do you guys think the avenger is going to be buffed, the reliant nerved or just nothing? 

In last week's Ship Shape, the Reliant is in the white boxing stage (the earliest 3D modeling stage). I was surprised at how low the Reliant's ceiling is -- too low to stand upright, the crew will have to crouch most of the time, except when seated. When the cargo bay is closed, it is also too low to stand upright.

Whereas there's plenty of head room to stand upright in the Avenger's cargo hold.

It seems that the Reliant's cargo hold is wider, and the Avenger's is taller; they seem roughly equal in length. Based on my eyeballing guestimates, the Avenger should have equal if not greater cargo capacity than the Reliant.

Regardless, I don't think the cargo capacity is accurate for one or both ships. The Reliant is supposed to carry the most cargo of the Starter Ships, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's significantly more than the Aurora Clipper. The Avenger technically isn't a starter ship (even though it's roughly the same price as the Reliant), so it could have the same or greater cargo capacity than the Reliant. We won't know until the Reliant's 3D model design and the Avenger's Modular re-design are complete.

But if the cargo bay was sideways you could stand up in it.

Yes, technically you could, but only if the cargo bay was empty. If it was loaded as per the white box pic, and cargo has magnetized to the deck, there'd be roughly the same amount of space between the cargo stacks, so you'd still have to crouch. You'd also have to climb up into the hatch to reach the cockpit, and there isn't a ladder or steps.

It's irrelevant though, because the ship is designed to be oriented horizontally in landing mode. The rotating cargo bay appears too wide to be in vertical orientation when the ship is landed, because the landing gear is too low to the ground.

DevChat - September 2nd to 13th - INN 

(6:59:58 PM) CIG Matt Sherman: Don’t expect Reliants to really fit on that many other ships. It’s a lot bigger compared to an Aurora or Mustang in terms of starter ships.

(5:16:09 PM) CIG Matt Sherman: Ya, Reliant will be able to haul a decent amount, 2 of the more basic cargo boxes, similar to what an Aurora could carry.

(5:16:22 PM) CIG Matt Sherman: What that exact number ends up being, we’ll know once the ship is actually built/flyable.

Edited by VoA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2015, 12:48:39, VoA said:

Ben on RTV just mentioned that we can expect the Reliant Variants in December (soon) - Dave Hobbins is wrapping them up now :)

I know it goes against what this ship's 'gimick' is...but I'd like it a lot more if they gave us a single seat option.

• 3 weeks later...