New used car opinions

Dr. Tran

Well ive been looking for a new car and was wondering what yall could suggest. Budget is 8k but would like a little room for preventive maintenance. Requirements. 4 door, manual, no more than 15k miles per year.

Im bout to go test out a 2002 subaru wrx... theyre asking a little much for it but hopefully I can get an affordable price

Heres a pic.

256ebd44133ef425f2aaf7f16d814726.jpg

So what do other cars would you guys recommend? Know of any good strategies to talk dealers down? Let me know down below ;)

8k is definitely on the upper end of used cars in my opinion.

I think for 8k, you should be able to get something newer than 2002, (my 2001 Mustang only cost me 2k). The paint job should be basically untouched, and you probably know this already, but please check the oil level and listen for any "clanging" noises when the engine is running.

I made the mistake of buying a car once that had that ticking / clanging noise, it turned out to be a 'spun rod bearing,' which amounted to a rebuilt engine. That was more than the car was worth. That car(1988 BMW) was also for 2k. I must have a thing for that price range.

Also, you can head over to Kelley Blue Book and type in the used car's info, and make sure you aren't getting ripped off, but also that they aren't selling it too far below, as that could indicate a mechanical problem and they just want to rid themselves of that vehicle before it doesn't work.

I own a 2015 WRX. Just do it. They are a blast to drive and great in all weather.

That extra money you are paying is for the reliability (except 2008 STIs, those don't count!)

That's a decent deal, but really depends on your local market and availability.

Good luck on your hunt!

Hey guys busy day. I still plan on test driving the car possibly tuesday with my teo best friends and fiances dad (head mechanic) 20+ years... anyways now for replies

@Mercer good tip man on KBB but theyre spot on in terms of that. Just a lil under suggested retail but over on the fair market.Heres a screenshot of it.

6b723e548e31a7c24a71aec9dbea3cb5.jpg [emoji14] @Gremlich yeah ill look at insurance here tomm but im sure ill hev that aspect covered.

@TitanEntity ill buy it off you for 8k cash =P

@Ricko13 nice car man and thanks for ur opinion. Wish I could afford a newer wrx but way outta my budget. Still tho Idk why but the bugeyes hev been growing on me...

I would recommend anything Japanese and avoid anything German.  @Ricko13 is correct about the 2008 Subaru's....avoid those.  It was Subaru's attempt to make the WRX and STI more "casual". Naturally aspired engines tend to last longer than turbo ones but the turbo ones are definitely more fun.  With WRX's in general you would want to aim for one close to stock otherwise you run the risk of someone else's "performance" mods running the car into the ground.  With dealerships....don't be afraid to walk away if it's not a good deal, you can always find another car elsewhere and it's good to make sure the salesman knows you are aware of other deals.  If you can't land a WRX the Legacy's aren't a bad deal with the 6cyl option.  AVOID the Outback Sport!!! Their SOHC is garbage.

I would recommend anything Japanese and avoid anything German.  @Ricko13 is correct about the 2008 Subaru's....avoid those.  It was Subaru's attempt to make the WRX and STI more "casual". Naturally aspired engines tend to last longer than turbo ones but the turbo ones are definitely more fun.  With WRX's in general you would want to aim for one close to stock otherwise you run the risk of someone else's "performance" mods running the car into the ground.  With dealerships....don't be afraid to walk away if it's not a good deal, you can always find another car elsewhere and it's good to make sure the salesman knows you are aware of other deals.  If you can't land a WRX the Legacy's aren't a bad deal with the 6cyl option.  AVOID the Outback Sport!!! Their SOHC is garbage.

Heeeey :( i drive german :P ! ... 2011 BMW 135i  it runs like a dream :P 

But i agree, Jap cars are amazing. For the price you pay for them, they really give Expensive german cars a good run for their money!

Heeeey :( i drive german :P ! ... 2011 BMW 135i  it runs like a dream :P 

But i agree, Jap cars are amazing. For the price you pay for them, they really give Expensive german cars a good run for their money!

All good.  But when I worked as a mechanic.....German cars were a nightmare.  They haven't been reliable since around the 80's. They drive nice....while they are newer.  Whereas even a cheap Honda Civic will outlast a top of the line german car.  I'm not saying German cars are necessarily bad....I'm just saying that they aren't much good after ~100k miles.

All good.  But when I worked as a mechanic.....German cars were a nightmare.  They haven't been reliable since around the 80's. They drive nice....while they are newer.  Whereas even a cheap Honda Civic will outlast a top of the line german car.  I'm not saying German cars are necessarily bad....I'm just saying that they aren't much good after ~100k miles.

i just hope mine does, its at 65,000km at the moment O.o haha! 

Well i agree with you Honda civics with those b20a and k20a motors are scary with a little mods O.o!!

i just hope mine does, its at 65,000km at the moment O.o haha! 

Well i agree with you Honda civics with those b20a and k20a motors are scary with a little mods O.o!!

If your's is an actual German made one you shouldn't have any issues.  Here in the states German cars are actually Chinese and Mexican made.  In fact the Germans just broke new ground to build another BMW plant in Mexico.  Quality for sure................... lol

I think i have to speak for the germans:

Maybe i was very lucky with my car, my VW Passat was almost 15 years old when i sold it two weeks ago. Everything was working and it was nice to drive,last time on the german autobahn i could almost (had to slow down because of traffic) drive its top speed 240km/150mph, it was stable and the engine was running smooth.

2001 VW Passat 2.8 V6 with 4WD, 180000km (111000miles) when i left it at the car dealer:

post-2915-0-13492400-1428359734_thumb.jp

Btw my new car is not VW but its made in germany...

If your's is an actual German made one you shouldn't have any issues.  Here in the states German cars are actually Chinese and Mexican made.  In fact the Germans just broke new ground to build another BMW plant in Mexico.  Quality for sure................... lol

I am not sure, It could be from anywhere.. i am from south africa, so i doubt it will be from germany it self. so i probably have a fongkong german bmw. lol

I think i have to speak for the germans:

Maybe i was very lucky with my car, my VW Passat was almost 15 years old when i sold it two weeks ago. Everything was working and it was nice to drive,last time on the german autobahn i could almost (had to slow down because of traffic) drive its top speed 240km/150mph, it was stable and the engine was running smooth.

2001 VW Passat 2.8 V6 with 4WD, Built 2001, 180000km (111000miles) when i left it at the car dealer:

attachicon.gif3bgv6.jpg

Btw my new car is not VW but its made in germany...

is that like a VR6 ? very nice car :)

German cars = expensive parts.

oh and bring a raincoat and a blow dryer. Hit any water and you're bound to get some fun electrical issues.

Source: Retired Mechanic Father who would denounce me if I bought an Audi instead of Subaru.

German cars = expensive parts.

oh and bring a raincoat and a blow dryer. Hit any water and you're bound to get some fun electrical issues.

Source: Retired Mechanic Father who would denounce me if I bought an Audi instead of Subaru.

Good thing in South africa we dont really get bad rain :P

If your loaded (loads of free money to spend ) Go buy a shiny new car. B)

If your on a budget go for a second hand car, now thing wrong with a second hand car, As long as your car smart and know what to look out for because there are some NOT so honest people out there. So if your not car smart take a mechanic with you. ;)