goonswarm returns?!?!

magman949

I don't see why they are worth mentioning over any other potential PvP hazard. You'd use the same countermeasures and strategies to defeat them as anybody else. 

The reasons that some other person attacks us in game -- For fun, to get revenge, to mock -- are irrelevant. It's just another enemy to reduce to space debris or run away from. 

So... what's the point of this thread again? Because I thought this was about something involving a new challenge mode in AC involving goons of varying shapes and sizes. Like pirates and stuff. 

I don't see why they are worth mentioning over any other potential PvP hazard. You'd use the same countermeasures and strategies to defeat them as anybody else.

The reasons that some other person attacks us in game -- For fun, to get revenge, to mock -- are irrelevant. It's just another enemy to reduce to space debris or run away from.

So... what's the point of this thread again? Because I thought this was about something involving a new challenge mode in AC involving goons of varying shapes and sizes. Like pirates and stuff.

At least someone gets it.

That happens 1/100 times though, the other 99 the bully gets to, well, bully someone. That 1% chance of surprise escalation is also something we (PvP'ers) live for

Well, you should know then that that 1 guy out of 100 will retaliate for the 99 others too, and more. So pick your victims carefully. Bullies are not the same as PvP-ers, it's just bullies who PvP.

It never ceases to amaze me how some PvP-ers see other types of players. Just because someone chooses not to PvP it doesn't mean they're "little or no threat". You'd be in for a surprice. It reminds me of the schoolyard bully who thinks he's the strongest and toughest kid in school, until the day he tries to bully someone who is uninterested in such primitive peacock behavior and suddenly finds himself on the ground with a tooth missing without knowing what hit him.

I was quoting @Swiftsure in that post. Taking it out of context to make me seem like a bully is just poor form.

Piracy isn't bullying unless it is intentionally targeting the same person repeatedly.

Bullying is harassment. Harassment is against the SC Terms of Service. Why would we undertake behaviour which would likely result in a ban?

So... what's the point of this thread again?

@magman949 started the thread to ask if Goonswarm was in Star Citizen. Varying opinions were aired about goons in general. I was told about this thread and came to offer some clarification including the fact that Goonswarm as an organisation isn't playing Star Citizen.

Goons come from Something Awful, not from EVE Online. If they did come from EVE Online, you'd have some branding issues as their coalition recently changed its name to The Imperium. I'm doing my best to disambiguate the groups whenever the question is raised, sometimes pre-empting it such as what I have been doing in the RSI EVE Online thread.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about goons, but please keep it polite.

It never ceases to amaze me how some PvP-ers see other types of players. Just because someone chooses not to PvP it doesn't mean they're "little or no threat". You'd be in for a surprice. It reminds me of the schoolyard bully who thinks he's the strongest and toughest kid in school, until the day he tries to bully someone who is uninterested in such primitive peacock behavior and suddenly finds himself on the ground with a tooth missing without knowing what hit him.

If someone does not pvp, by definition they are not a threat.  Not sure why that stirred memories for you.

They will play whatever mission they are on, and you can go afk and get a soda/beer.

Well, you should know then that that 1 guy out of 100 will retaliate for the 99 others too, and more. So pick your victims carefully. Bullies are not the same as PvP-ers, it's just bullies who PvP.

Yeah, but all 100 instances will be fun. I dont think you get that PvP'ers have just as much fun being blown up as we do blowing shit up

I've found the goon propaganda videos extremely humorous, they have a sense of humor for sure. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YdmbhLDwM1k

I thought this one was funny...lol

Big Fish/Bootcha makes some of the best videos.

This one is my favourite still:

All of the videos can be found in this playlist.