goonswarm returns?!?!

magman949

@Viking, our rules are the first result when you search for Goonrathi rules on several popular search engines (even bing!). I do thank you for going into this game with an open mind.

@Chimaera, thank you again for the kind words.

@Inkarnus, our theme is cats because Goonrathi is a portmanteau of Goons and Kilrathi, the latter being the cat like species from the Wing Commander series. Many of the cat-based propaganda are viewable on my wall on RSI. For now, please enjoy this amusing video from our collection:

It's unfortunate that EVE and experiences with a similarly named group has carried over to ill will and questionable intent with SC.

While I admit that I am one of those people who assumed/s the worst, it comes from having perused the SA forums and finding animosity towards Imperium and the intent to noob gank.

CU, I hope that your Goonrathi, whether the villain or not, do not conduct themselves in this way, just as I hope this and other organizations don't hunt or harass the Goonrathi. This behavior diminishes us both. I do ask though does the culture of your org favour killing PC beginners over NPC enemies? Do you hold to the oft repeated sentiment that all combat is done with consent whether the attacked wish to be there or not?

I ask because there is some difference between attacking known criminals for bounties and just attacking easy marks for the lulz. I personally avoid combat. Not because I'm not competent at it, but because I derive no pleasure from it. I'd rather work cooperatively with people and let non-aggressors pass in peace.

Regardless, thanks for your input here.

Coming from eve, so let's nag as you honor your side, goons honored theirs. The CFC however did no such thing. N3's mistake was attacking Goonswarm Allies.

(Although if there was no agreement, goons were goons and that is how they got their rep..

It's unfortunate that EVE and experiences with a similarly named group has carried over to ill will and questionable intent with SC.

While I admit that I am one of those people who assumed/s the worst, it comes from having perused the SA forums and finding animosity towards Imperium and the intent to noob gank.

CU, I hope that your Goonrathi, whether the villain or not, do not conduct themselves in this way, just as I hope this and other organizations don't hunt or harass the Goonrathi. This behavior diminishes us both. I do ask though does the culture of your org favour killing PC beginners over NPC enemies? Do you hold to the oft repeated sentiment that all combat is done with consent whether the attacked wish to be there or not?

I ask because there is some difference between attacking known criminals for bounties and just attacking easy marks for the lulz. I personally avoid combat. Not because I'm not competent at it, but because I derive no pleasure from it. I'd rather work cooperatively with people and let non-aggressors pass in peace.

Regardless, thanks for your input here.

I think it comes down to Goons being pvpers in a pvp heavy game (EvE). And a lot of people playing EvE get upset when they get pvp'd, the Goons then laugh at them for this.

From my point of view the fault is with people going into a hardcore pvp game where the devs have designed in mechanics for betrayal and the like. If you don't like cutthroat pvp, then why are you playing a game that has mechanics rewarding cutthroat pvp? That seems like trying to be a pve player in LoL, only fighting npc, and then yelling about griefing when the jungler jumps out and gets you. Don't play games with pvp if you hate pvp. 

Goons are just the best cutthroat pvpers in a cuttroat pvp game. If you don't like that, that seems an issue with the game mechanics of EvE rather than the goons themselves. Corrosive juvenile sense of humor aside. 

The SC goons are, what, 550 strong between goonrathi and dental? You know what that tells me? It tells me SC isn't a game that really caters to the EvE-goon crowd. EvE is a MMO-RPG, SC is a flight sim with some fps on the side, the only common denominator is the setting. Gameplay itself is completely different. So even if people from goons show up, it will by and large not be the same people who play EvE. 

Unless there is some great flood of newcomers 100 times greater than seen by any other org they will remain of average relevance. They will probably be out in frontier space pvp-ing. And honestly, if CIG makes an area of the game for pvp we can't be too upset if we go out there and get pvp'd. 

I do ask though does the culture of your org favour killing PC beginners over NPC enemies? Do you hold to the oft repeated sentiment that all combat is done with consent whether the attacked wish to be there or not?

Hi Gerald. Thanks for your question, it is a rather common one I come across. While it may have happened in the past in some games, it certainly isn't something we'll be doing at an organisation level. I also suspect the game mechanics will be quite hostile to anyone who tries this in Star Citizen.

One thing I like to point out is that SC is not EVE. EVE is a terrible game for terrible people and does not have any meaningful consequences for bad behaviour. SC's reputation and bounty systems look to be a great way to shape behaviour in game to exactly how CIG want people to conduct themselves in general, permitting some villainous behavour while not turning it into a free for all gank fest.

It is also worth highlighting again that Goonrathi are not from EVE Online, we are from the Something Awful forums. A small percentage of our members play EVE (myself included) and we have borrowed from the successful management and diplomacy models used in EVE. If anything, we're closer to the MWO group.

The SC goons are, what, 550 strong between goonrathi and dental? You know what that tells me? It tells me SC isn't a game that really caters to the EvE-goon crowd. EvE is a MMO-RPG, SC is a flight sim with some fps on the side, the only common denominator is the setting. Gameplay itself is completely different. So even if people from goons show up, it will by and large not be the same people who play EvE. 

Unless there is some great flood of newcomers 100 times greater than seen by any other org they will remain of average relevance. They will probably be out in frontier space pvp-ing. And honestly, if CIG makes an area of the game for pvp we can't be too upset if we go out there and get pvp'd. 

There are a few more groups than just Goonrathi and Starfleet Dental, but the numbers at the moment are not particularly relevent in the scheme of things. If you've spent any time in the Star Citizen thread (Warning: Paywalled with autoplay video and sound. Mute before clicking) on Something Awful, you'll realise that there is a huge amount of skepticism about the project meeting expectations. Those you see in organisations now are those who are true believers in Chris Roberts who think that the game will be fun in the end.

When the persistent universe is released, and if the game is fun, then you will see the bulk of the Goons from Something Awful join. If the game meets expectations of a rich, vibrant universe filled with the hopes and dreams of people who grew up with Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer... we expect a few thousand more goons to join. If it isn't, then many of us may not even play.

This game has a completely different culture to EVE Online. Just look at the amazing work Ben Lesnick and the moderation team has done shaping the community. EVE is a cesspool of wildly divergant behaviours because that is what CCP intends. That will not be the case with Star Citizen.

Just for clarity, I do not speak for Starfleet Dental or any other goon group. They are a completely seperate groups with their own unique culture, values and goals.

Please can you all continue this disscusion on your goon forums i am pretty sure most of you have a account there

This is the SCB forum and all people are more than welcome to post here, even the Goons. ;) If you are following this, but do not wish to receive email notifications or updates you can choose to stop following the thread, but we do not request or require anyone to "stop" talking on one forum just because some people have accounts on another. I, for one, have no account on SA forums, so "taking it elsewhere" would cut me out of the conversation. While SCB is home to the Imperium forums, it is NOT an Imperium exclusive site, and we allow all fans and orgs from SC to come, post, comment, and recruit on the public SCB boards. I hope this clears up any misconception about whether there is a "better venue" for this conversation.

I think its refreshing to read the statements from a official Goonrathi Representative.

Threads about goons are regulary filled with whisper, rumors or "I know someone who knows someone who..." and end with clamor about

apocalypse.

Goons are here, end is near and so on.

So step up from your trenches, take a look and greet a polite and well mannered goon...:)

Please can you all continue this disscusion on your goon forums i am pretty sure most of you have a account there

The Something Awful forums is a place filled with wonder and just about any topic you could think of from comics to guns, cooking to pets and heath to games.

This is the SCB forum and all people are more than welcome to post here, even the Goons.

If I'm becoming a disruption, please don't hesitate to tell me. I'm not here to cause issues.

Are SC Goons terrible? Let us look at the facts, using the assumption that a representative sent to represent them is representative of them;

QED  :viggo: 

I openly admit that we're terrible. Goons tend to be a low-skill group in whatever game they play. Our major advantages are numbers, coordination and that the really smart people usually rise to the top. I hope you also realise that the emote you used originated on the Something Awful forums. :smuggo:

I think its refreshing to read the statements from a official Goonrathi Representative.

Threads about goons are regulary filled with whisper, rumors or "I know someone who knows someone who..." and end with clamor about

apocalypse.

Goons are here, end is near and so on.

So step up from your trenches, take a look and greet a polite and well mannered goon... :)

I hate to say it, but you will find most goons are not polite, nor well mannered. We are generally an irreverant group whose sense of humor can often be on the side of bad taste. We reject serious business like we'd reject sauerkraut on an icecream sundae. If we had a mission statement it would include the words mischief, schadenfreud along with numerous expletives.

What we are, is fun. Maybe not some people's definition of fun, but fun nevertheless. My role here is to ensure that fun is facilitated.

Here is today's cat tax:

jPh7hhA.png

Let me chime in here and bid @Captain Underpants welcome! :) We poke and tease sometimes, but we are mostly good people. Imperium is just like any other community out there, including - I'm sure - the Something Awful community. We have a range of personalities from super nice guys all the way to jerks. I would like to personally say, feel free to come to the SCB forums anytime and chat. If there is anything we can do to make your stay an enjoyable one, let us know. Have a good one!

I hate to say it, but you will find most goons are not polite, nor well mannered. We are generally an irreverant group whose sense of humor can often be on the side of bad taste. We reject serious business like we'd reject sauerkraut on an icecream sundae. If we had a mission statement it would include the words mischief, schadenfreud along with numerous expletives.

What we are, is fun. Maybe not some people's definition of fun, but fun nevertheless. My role here is to ensure that fun is facilitated.

All the more interesting to see an official Goon after all the third party horror stories I have heard. And your behaivior sheds a way better light on Goons than

circulating fairytales. And even if your fellow goons may not be as well mannered, its a pleasure to have you here at SBC...;)

This is the SCB forum and all people are more than welcome to post here, even the Goons. ;) If you are following this, but do not wish to receive email notifications or updates you can choose to stop following the thread, but we do not request or require anyone to "stop" talking on one forum just because some people have accounts on another. I, for one, have no account on SA forums, so "taking it elsewhere" would cut me out of the conversation. While SCB is home to the Imperium forums, it is NOT an Imperium exclusive site, and we allow all fans and orgs from SC to come, post, comment, and recruit on the public SCB boards. I hope this clears up any misconception about whether there is a "better venue" for this conversation.

[emoji106]

On tapatalk i can not block/ignore people a function that i really miss otherwise it was already done

Or maybe it is hidden function some where if so Please tell me

[emoji6]

The Goons have a reputation because of EvE. That reputation will follow any group tied to SA forums; this is a simple fact.

Well it is much more than just EvE. They have largely the same reputation regardless of what game they play. I think the only difference is EvE's unique setup allowed the Goons to prosper and interact with a larger percentage of the game's population. While in other games they were isolated to a server or two, and usually could only negatively impact one faction or the other.

We reject serious business like we'd reject sauerkraut on an icecream sundae.

This answers my original question in this thread, thanks.

I hate to say it, but you will find most goons are not polite, nor well mannered. We are generally an irreverant group whose sense of humor can often be on the side of bad taste.[...]. If we had a mission statement it would include the words mischief, schadenfreud along with numerous expletives.

And this is what's bothering me - the bad behaviored people; the bad, and often offensive, taste; and your definition of "fun", which is often on someone else's expense. It's disturbing to see that an org. in Star Citizen is deliberatly steering towards conflict with other players.

I'm still on the fence to see if this is how you will behave in the game, but I can't ignore what you're saying here either.

This answers my original question in this thread, thanks.

Your original question seemed to be related to if it would ever be possible to have a business contract with a goon. I have already answered that, the fact we reject serious business doens't make what we agree to less trustworthy. You seem to be reading a lot more into what we meant by "serious business" than is intended.

It's disturbing to see that an org. in Star Citizen is deliberatly steering towards conflict with other players.

We're likely going to be a PvP focussed organisaion just like a lot of other groups in SC. Why is that disturbing?

First, it was you who said you wouldn't be part of any serious business. I don't read anything more into that than what you say here.

Secondly, PvP is something else than what you describe how the goons will behave. You don't have to pull nazi jokes, be inpoilte, or make fun of other players, to do PvP.

But, of course, you'd have to have an upbringing to understand where the line goes. That is the problem with any misbehaved player - without a proper upbringing it's impossible to understand and follow any rule or regulation.

I have this principle about misbehaving people: if they're underage, I'll offer advise and other education, as long as they're willing to listen, but if they're adult (as in come of age, legally speaking) then they're supposed to know about how to behave. Period. If not, they'll only get disappointment and contempt from me. No education for the damned who chose not to listen during upbringing.

First, it was you who said you wouldn't be part of any serious business. I don't read anything more into that than what you say here.

Ahh, so you are just misunderstanding our definition of serious business.

What we mean by that is things like overly complicated command structures, militaristic rulesets, compulsory activities, forced roleplay, etc. It is nothing to do with honouring business agreements. I've stated before we're perfectly happy to do business with other entities. Time will tell, but I see no obstacle in the future to doing business with Goonrathi.

You don't have to pull nazi jokes

:godwin: