My steam account has been stolen!

rotorax

Hey guys, I don't know how, but somebody has hacked and stolen my Steam account. The stealer doesn't even bothered to change the avatar so it is still sporting my cartoon Django, the account name is changed to SoufianeSH and the location is set to France, so that is probably the location of the "new owner". The email is changed too, I was curious why I wasn´t receiving verification codes for password reset. I contacted the Steam support about the issue, hopefully they act quickly and give me my account back. I have never encountered the account theft before, so you can imagine my frustration right now. If anyone have any advice or dealt with the same situation before, any advice is appreciated.

this is the link to account as it is now:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SoufianeSH/ 

If you have a credit card or paypal tied to the account, I would keep an eye on it to make sure no fraudulent purchases are made. I don't have personal experience with an account being hacked, but from what I've read in the past, Valve isn't great about returning items that were transferred away from the account. I've also read that if they make a fraudulent purchase, and you issue a charge back, then they might lock the account from purchasing/multiplayer. All anecdotal though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Oh nevermind I see you are on your way to recovering.

Good luck.

Thanks! I havent received the email when password was changed, thief probably changed email before that. But I was able to lock the account from the older email, when I was verifying my new computer a week ago. At least the account is locked now until the support resolve the issue. I appreciate the help man!

@rotorax Sorry for the situation that befalls you right now. I just hate that crap and never to sure about these things. If there is anything I could do I would, but not savvy with things like this. I hope this don't happen in SC and hope Chris has a policy in place where we can get some action done. I was burnt by someone trying to buy a Merchantman with LTI. I sent CIG all the info on it but was told in terms, buyer beware. I haven't heard how they will resolve these issues if and when they arise in game.

Were you invited to a "Steam trade" in the last few weeks (months even)? If so they can get your account info by making you click external links before hand.

Lots of steam accounts geting nicked and items stolen lately from what i've seen on the CSGO forums.

Be careful of level 1/2 accounts randomly adding you to friends lists on Steam aswell!

This is why it's so important to run quick 5min scans daily, when you boot up or shut down, (like Malewarebytes) and big scans weekly for any dodgy files on your systems.

Thanks! I havent received the email when password was changed, thief probably changed email before that. But I was able to lock the account from the older email, when I was verifying my new computer a week ago. At least the account is locked now until the support resolve the issue. I appreciate the help man!

I'm glad you saw it before I edited it, my mistake, I thought you had it all sorted out, I should not have removed my original comment.

Thanks for the support and violation reports guys, I packed the support ticket with all the info they need to validate me as a rightful owner of the account. I mean, if the guy wanted to steal some items for trade, he must have realized pretty soon that I´m not doing that. All I trade are game cards, and mostly on the marketplace, not individual trades. And I´m not that dumb to fall for "give me your account details, or click this link to see my trade items" trick. I only trade with trusted friends, and I did that like once.

Obviously some trojan/keylogger must have infiltrated my PC (virus scan found one on multiple places) and went straight for my steam acc. No other accounts were affected, my origin, uplay and mail accounts haven´t been hijacked (changed pwds on all).

My account only has value for me, as it contains my games that I like and collect to enjoy my free time. Now that the account is locked for any actions, it´s pretty much useless to the thief. If there was any decency left in him, he would change the account mail back to my original and let me take it back. But I realize that is more like a fantasy than a real possibility.

Anyway, the support still hasn´t contacted me, either they are too slow, too busy dealing with all the tickets or they don´t work on weekends. I hope they get to me in the next day or two. I´ll post the update on the situation when I have something new.

Great news! Steam support finally got to my case and they recognized my ownership right away and reset login details. I changed the email just to be sure that hacker don´t have access to my old one and changed the password. Good feeling to have my games back. I am always responsible in the terms of internet security, but sometimes you realize it´s still not enough. Lesson learned.