GTX 970 brand?

Kellso

I'm looking to buy a GTX 970 to replace my GTX 660.

But I don't know which brand I should go with?

Currently i'm leaning towards ASUS as it has a backplate.

Any recommendations?

My main concern with a bigger GPU is bending, and I want the least amount of coil whine possible (My 660 has insane coil whine)

I think all the 970's have mild to severe coil whine. Mine only whines above 250fps, which is ludicrous enough to turn vsync on imo. I have the MSI version, but I normally go with EVGA. I don't think brand will truly affect the experience too much. They all have their good and bad manufactures.

I have been using a pair of Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD) for the past 3 months, and very pleased. Though disappointed by the article Nevermore referenced, I have yet to notice signs of this memory bug. That said, it might be prudent to wait for more info to be released, and if a fact, then hopefully a software patch will resolve. As for the Corsair 500R, all I can say is that there is plenty of room in my 550D, and I wouldn't expect there to be any issue with the 500R either looking at pics of the case. I have found the Corsair support guys to be very helpful, so you could ask them directly, though probably quicker to just Google for an answer.

most of the named cards uses good components afaik the strix from asus is quite "silent"  

beware of the asus its quite long and large and the heat pipe is kinda in the way of my haf 932 advance air channel :(

else its quite silent but i have alot of fans already mounted and the 0 fan mode is nice to have too :)

I am skipping this generation of cards and waiting until they have a cheaper card with low power usage with high bandwidth bus, running 4k at 60fps and at least 8GB memory all rolled into one card. 

We are really close to getting this. Probably end of 2015 maybe start of 2016. Been a large jump in power usage tech so far and memory / 4k 60fps on one card is the next jump I think.

My GTX 670 is fine for now.