Need Gun Advice

Never fired a lever-action before, but I own a Marlin long .22, and it is absolutely gorgeous. The grains of wood pop out on it. As for quality, it's been with me for about a decade now(since before I could legally own a firearm haha). The bolt feels smooth and I've never had to wipe any carbon off of the bolt assembly.

Just don't let people drop it on concrete.

Marlin, most likely. I owned a 39a growing up and it was a fine rifle. If you're looking for historical authenticty, then I might steer you a different direction, to something with the classic side loading gate and top ejection (i.e. Winchester). But if you're just looking for a quality levergun, you can't go wrong with a Marlin.

So I guess that's 2 for Marlin. I personally haven't ever heard of Chiappa.

Marlin, most likely. I owned a 39a growing up and it was a fine rifle. If you're looking for historical authenticty, then I might steer you a different direction, to something with the classic side loading gate and top ejection (i.e. Winchester). But if you're just looking for a quality levergun, you can't go wrong with a Marlin.

This

May I ask why lever action?  Some choose it for the rugged, hard-wearing nature of the action.  Some choose it because of a specific desire to use a pistol cartridge.  And of course some go for the least rational reason of all, they think it is cool(not accusing you there, just curious).  

I own a few, a mix of old-new winchesters in everything from .22LR to .45, but honestly all but one was inherited and that one was won as a door prize years ago.  Not personally a fan of levers, always preferred the precision of a finely manufactured bolt-action myself, but to each their own.

Marlin does make a smooth .22LR, but I've handled a few of their .30-30s that were...dreadful.  Winchesters are very well made, but honestly they're nostalgia priced often as not, giving roughly the same experience as other manufacturers at a premium price.  I've never handled a Chiappa firearm before, but I'm always leery of manufacturers that specialize in replica firearms.  Often as not they fudge with the production process just enough to lose what made the original gun special, while remaining niche enough that finding a skilled gunsmith familiar enough with the eccentricities of the gun can be difficult/expensive.  Not to mention their fit and finish is rarely up to snuff.

May I ask why lever action?  Some choose it for the rugged, hard-wearing nature of the action.  Some choose it because of a specific desire to use a pistol cartridge.  And of course some go for the least rational reason of all, they think it is cool(not accusing you there, just curious).  

I own a few, a mix of old-new winchesters in everything from .22LR to .45, but honestly all but one was inherited and that one was won as a door prize years ago.  Not personally a fan of levers, always preferred the precision of a finely manufactured bolt-action myself, but to each their own.

Marlin does make a smooth .22LR, but I've handled a few of their .30-30s that were...dreadful.  Winchesters are very well made, but honestly they're nostalgia priced often as not, giving roughly the same experience as other manufacturers at a premium price.  I've never handled a Chiappa firearm before, but I'm always leery of manufacturers that specialize in replica firearms.  Often as not they fudge with the production process just enough to lose what made the original gun special, while remaining niche enough that finding a skilled gunsmith familiar enough with the eccentricities of the gun can be difficult/expensive.  Not to mention their fit and finish is rarely up to snuff.

I prefer bolt-actions myself but they aren't really practical for hunting where I live. It's quite mountainous, rocky and overgrown here so I'm looking to get a brush gun that I can just shoulder quickly using the iron sights without needing to worry about a scope getting in the way. It's unusual to get sigh-lines beyond 100m so that's why I'm looking at a pistol cartridge. 

I know the Marlin's used to be good but I've heard that they've gone bad since being acquired by Remington. 

I got a browning lever action 22 a while back and I enjoyed that so I thought I'd go along the same route. 

Gotcha, if you're looking for a brush gun then I can see the appeal of a heavy hitting pistol cartridge.  I don't know about the hunting regulations around you, but if you're looking for a quick shouldering brush gun I'd personally recommend a pump-action shotgun with a slug barrel(don't need the slug barrel necessarily out to ~50 yards, but it extends the accurate range to within your parameters).  I'm personally a fan of both the Remington 870 express magnum and the mossberg 500.  My 870 is 20ga that I purchased specifically for grouse and deer hunting in tight quarters, bought the youth model because it has a shorter barrel then changed to a modified full sized stock for proper fit.  That gun is light, deadly accurate, and exceedingly quick to target.  Only takes about 10secs to swap out to my slug barrel on which I mounted a holosight for quick target acquisition while maintaining good sight picture.  Also, the express magnum is chambered for 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 inch shells, so if you find you need some extra oomph you can whollop your shoulder with some honking 3.5inch magnum loads(and the chamber is easily heavy enough to allow for some even more powerful hand loaded hot rounds)

Trust me, if you think .44mag makes a good brush gun(and it does), you should see a rifled 12 or 20ga slug tear through HEAVY brush without hardly any deflection.  

But if you're set on a lever action pistol cartridge I'd seriously recommend checking out the winchesters.  They are spendy, but a good gun, well maintained, is essentially a lifetime investment.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread because I need some gun advice too...

Looking for a good custom Saiga dealer. Been wanting a semi-auto SBS (short barrel shotgun) for a while now, 9 1/4" would be perfect. Anyone have any recommendations? Budget is about 3k.

I've already looked into Tromix, Lone Star, and Tack47. I love the bolt polish work Lone Star does. But I know Tromix and Tack47 have the best reputations.

Not Saiga, I also am looking at the Fostech Origin 12. It's a new gun but looks pretty awesome, would love to know how reliable it is.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

I highly recommend the Fostech Origin 12. You're not going to find a faster shooting and easier to work with shotgun other than a Remington Model 11 which is another I recommend. The M11 is pretty much a bare bones badass shotgun while the O12 offers AK usability with sights, attachments and operator design, not to mention several companies already offering third party magazine support. Both of them are extremely reliable and fun to shoot, whichever one you decide to go with.

If you'd like @AdmiralBoom PM me and I can add you on fb, and get you an invite to an exclusive nfa group.

Thanks for responding @Donut!

I should have specified I was looking for a magazine fed shotgu. Thats why the M11 wasnt on my list.

Glad to know I am not the only one that thinks the Origin 12 is amazing. I am a bit worried about the infinite gas system they have on it. I've read that you may have to to fiddle around with it every time you use a different ammo. Not sure if this is true or not though.

I think the O12 is what I am going to get. Good thing is it is also cheaper than most of the custom Saiga 12s I was considering too.

The reason you have to fiddle with the gas is because every different kind of shot is some "specialized formula". Generally though if you stick to certain brands you don't have to mess with the gas settings. If you can get Federal low brass to cycle, then high brass shouldn't be an issue. Slugs would have their own setting etc. At least with the gas setting its easy to memorize and handle which setting is for which. You generally shouldn't have to adjust it though as most people choose which ammo they want and stick with it. Personally I prefer double O buck, federal rifle slug power shock, full brass single O buck, and reloaded wax slug

These are pretty hard to come by but they last forever if you like to reload. One of my favorite because you can trim to length for any shotgun and use any type of reload you can think of

12Ga.jpg

This is going to be my home defense weapon so I will probably stick with 00 buckshot ensure there is not overpenitration. So I guess after a trip to the range to adjust the gas and I should be all set.

I know the Origin 12 takes any AR buttstock you got any recommendations to for one to drastically lower the recoil @Donut?

7 minutes ago, Donut said:

I don't believe the stock does anything but to act as a stock, as you can still fire an AK folded. However you should be able to adjust the gas and reduce recoil. Adding a silencer or brake will help too.

For home defense, bird shot would be fine unless you're expecting to shoot farther than 50m. 

Awesome. Thank you Donut. I will post some pictures once I get it, stay tuned!

11 hours ago, AdmiralBoom said:

Anyone know if these hydraulic recoil buffers actually work?

KynShot Hydraulic Recoil Buffer

I don't believe those things really work. Especially when you're getting a shotgun that doesn't require the stock to be unfolded to fire, and has an adjustable gas system.

Meanwhile I'm debating getting another lower and sketched this up as to what I'm going to engrave on it

Dickbutt Lower.jpg