Sid Meier's Starships!

Arcanus

While, I'll admit to a little bit of disappointment as to the lack of variety/content in Beyond Earth, I can't help but geek out all over again at the possibility of this game...

Here's an article with a little more info:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/19/7852469/sid-meier-starships-game-firaxis-studio

Bleh, I have no interest in anything developed for mobile platforms.  I'm a huge Sid Meier fan, and I love turn-based games, but this...

Sure, they're developing an iPad version, but the first two platforms listed for development were PC & Mac, which is the same as every other Sid Meier game for a long time...  I don't really think this is going to be what you would normally think of as a game for a "mobile platform"

What's more likely is that it's a full-featured PC/Mac game that will have a (potentially stripped-down) version available for the iPad.

LOL... at least I sure hope that's the order in which they're developing this game ;)

Sure, they're developing an iPad version, but the first two platforms listed for development were PC & Mac, which is the same as every other Sid Meier game for a long time...  I don't really think this is going to be what you would normally think of as a game for a "mobile platform"

What's more likely is that it's a full-featured PC/Mac game that will have a (potentially stripped-down) version available for the iPad.

LOL... at least I sure hope that's the order in which they're developing this game ;)

I'd like to think so too, but looking at the video, which admittedly didn't show much, and taking the very near release date into consideration I'm not hopeful.  I may be wrong, but I've never known them to do much if any concurrent development, so this is either something they've cooked up very recently or it is made up of elements they originally developed for beyond earth and then stripped.  Either way, doesn't make me particularly hopeful.

And to be frank, a purely turn based game in space doesn't hold much appeal.  I've always loved the turn-based play of Civ games, but they always fell down a bit when it came to combat/warfare(after the first 3 turns of a war shit got boring).  If I had my way they would adopt the Total War model w/ turn based strategic map and real-time combat...you know, except with actual depth to the map play and not buggy shit for combat AI like TW has been doing for years...mmm now I'm thinking of the awesomeness that would come from the unholy marriage of turn-based civ strategy with an updated homeworld combat system(stripped of all the bs rts elements)

What I'd really like to see this become (if Firaxis could get their act together & pull it off) is a spiritual successor to some of the older Sci-Fi 4X games like MoO (Master of Orion) 1-3 and Imperium Galactica I & II (Yes, there's actually an old school Sci-fi turn based 4X by that name.... seems kind of appropriate for this group, no?)...  but the idea of a Total War type mix of Hex/turn-based strategic vs. RTS ship combat (coincidentally not far from Imperium Galactica II, although the RTS element was very simplified) would be awesome as well.

based EVE community has more Information actually:

http://www.themittani.com/news/announced-sid-meiers-starships

Starships is set in the same universe as Beyond Earth, and players will be allowed a form of “cross-connectivity”. There is no further detail as to how the two games will interact with each other. Meier did add that it would "enhance and expand upon both game experiences."

do we see "hope" here?

slZ4twm.png

Anyone remember playing Homeworld? (Yes I'm that old.) XD

I loved homeworld's combat.  3 dimensional movement really mattered in that game.  Didn't like that it was an RTS though, I'll never understand why people want to simultaneously harvest, build, recruit, and fight.  That's why I like the idea of the Total War series(though often not the implementation) because it separated the fun of strategic, thoughtful planning and often intense, meaningful combat.

• 1 month later...

Recently (22 February to as recently as today), PC Gamer published some articles that shed some much-needed light on the upcoming game Sid Meier's Starships...

Good news!  It looks like the game will be coming out in mid-March (scheduled for a March 12th release if it doesn't slip) and it'll only cost $15 USD

Here's the article with the (limited) details available on the release: http://www.pcgamer.com/sid-meiers-starships-prepares-for-march-lift-off/

ALSO

A recent update (http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-beyond-earth-update-brings-connectivity-with-starships/) for Beyond Earth (be sure to patch Beyond Earth if you own it, but haven't played recently) will introduce connectivity between the two games (although PC Gamer is a little hazy on how exactly this will work).

If anyone wants to dive into details on the game itself, here is the final article from this morning (2 hours ago): http://www.pcgamer.com/strategy-and-exploration-in-sid-meiers-starships/

I think this is a missed opportunity

They should have put gameplay like that into BE as added complexity so playing on multiples levels a planetary level and a macro level with multiples planets and systems and fleets and the enemy.

That would have been the game I would have bought and an amazing success. BE is the first game in the CIV series I have not played. To me it was exposed as a cheap reskin from pre-release gameplay footage and imho was a hit on Firaxis reputation.

Maybe that was their original intention but they were forced to release BE for financial/publisher reasons? 

Yeah it does feel like something didn't go as planned with the release of Being and they had to cut starships from the game.

But who knows. With starships and dlcs maybe they will manage to get the game where they wanted to originally.