Discussion- Building JARVIS with gaming in mind.

Dr. Bright

So I had about an hour after my last Comp. Tech. class today and I had a lot of stuff spinning around in my head that eventually resulted in an idea that I just couldn't shake.

Before you start reading: This is not about in game scripts, macros, or other game based functionalities, this is about creating a full house, interactive, thinking windows (or linux) shell that can be used to access high powered computing resources from any device that has been integrated into the network.

Basically I was wondering if it is possible to create a scalable setup that can accept information from and display information to several input/output sources separately.

For a simplified version I'll use:

1 Gaming headset w/ mic

1 Gaming PC

1 Master PC (race, sorry I had to)

1 Tablet

1 Webcam

1 Arduino connected to my doorbell

See spoiler for my horribly crude attempt at drawing the possible ethernet connections.

post-7488-0-90214900-1421294250_thumb.pn 

Scenario:

I'm playing SC on my gaming PC, which is connected to the Headset via USB and the Master PC/Server via ethernet cable.

Someone rings the doorbell triggering the Arduino which runs a script that sends a signal to the Master PC.

The Master PC then uses Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and WSR Macros scripting to announce that someone is at the door via the Headset.

I tell the computer to display a video of who is at the door using the webcam connected to either a cheap micro PC or the Master PC.

Now I know that everything up until this point should be possible in some form or another, but the next part is where my Computer skills run out.

Instead of interrupting my SC gaming session the Master PC brings up the webcam feed on the Tablet mounted near my computer.

With this I can see that the person at the door is a solicitor and I don't need to bother putting on pants and going to greet them.

I tell my computer to stop displaying the webcam and go back to playing.

"Why do you need a Central PC for this?" you might be asking "can't all of this be done via the tablet with a lot less hassle?". And you'd be right, the problem is I want to be able to use a wireless headset anywhere in the house and be able to specify which of my screens (be it tablet, laptop, or TV) display various bits of information.

As another Example let's add a TV and a cheap micro PC to the mix. The laptop is connected to the Master PC via another ethernet cable.

I'm working on an essay on my main (gaming) PC when my computer notifies me that one of my favorite TV shows is scheduled to start soon.

I go to the TV and watch the show until the first commercial segment when I figure it would be best if I use this time to keep working on my essay.

So I use my headset to instruct the Master PC to bring up my word document from the Network Storage and display it on the TV so I can work on it a bit.

While I'm working I get a call from a friend who's asking if I'd like to join them in SC. Hell yeah, but then I'd need to go all the way back into my gaming/bed room, and I just made popcorn.

So instead I simply tell the Master PC to save my essay, startup SC on the Gaming PC, and reroute the video output to the TV instead, as long as I don't fly, a Razer Orbweaver should be fine for just walking around as a crew member, fixin stuff and chatting.

I have more money than you can shake a stick at, I've spent over 20,000 US Dollars on Star Citizen, I have many bright Ideas but IN REALITY, I went out got a job and now just buy what I want instead of trying to dream it up ...

Sorry if I came in and burst all over your long statement, But the point of getting through school/college/university then going out into the real world and getting a job to pay for it all would be better than to just dream about who i could make a all singing all dancing everything in my life to this one area like my own command center then me becoming super lazy and piling on the pounds due to not having to move from the one spot.

First, you wont play SC right unless your at the PC using Hotas Setup 

Second, Use IP Camera's at your door that are motion activated when motion is detected the IP camera starts an App on your tablet alerting you someone is at the door.

Third, DO BE SO FREAKIN LAZY

Truely Amazes me sometimes

P.s "MASTER PC" is another name for a freakin "SERVER"

I also have a few videos for you as well ... link for you to drool over ... 

I have more money than you can shake a stick at, I've spent over 20,000 US Dollars on Star Citizen, I have many bright Ideas but IN REALITY, I went out got a job and now just buy what I want instead of trying to dream it up ...

Second, Use IP Camera's at your door that are motion activated when motion is detected the IP camera starts an App on your tablet alerting you someone is at the door.

Nice to know you have the money to just buy what you need. Personally, I prefer to do the things on my own so I know how they work. This is a hobby sheesh, stop taking it so seriously, I don't.

But the point of getting through school/college/university then going out into the real world and getting a job to pay for it all would be better than to just dream about who i could make a all singing all dancing everything in my life to this one area like my own command center then me becoming super lazy and piling on the pounds due to not having to move from the one spot.

It actually depends who you talk to from my experience. I'm going for a dual major in Computer Science and Liberal Arts and every teacher on the Liberal Arts side says that college is to enhance your ability to be a better person in society, not to get you a job. Personally I prefer your reasoning though, doesn't matter if I'm enlightened as all shit if I spend the rest of my life living under a bridge (or worse, working at Starbucks).

As for the getting fat:

1) Thanks for assuming that.

2) The main reason I want to build a system like this is so I'm NOT tied to just a single computer or workstation to do my work and can freely walk around, accessing information anywhere in my house.

You won't need HOTAS for the FPS/crewing components.

Did not know about these before, I'll have to see if I can integrate them into my existing voice command setup.

I will  :P

Yeah, looking back a server is better seeing as how it would be constantly running and processing information.

Thanks for those, I already saw the first one, but as I said I prefer to do things on my own. Those Apps are limited in functionality and I want to be able to expand my system as it suites me.

TL;DR: Thanks for all the information, you didn't have to be such a jerk about it.

Don't mind "that guy" One of the best ways to learn about stuff is doing them yourself...like making a router out of your old computer etc.... 

either way good luck ^^ 

Ooh, the PC router, I might want to try that sometime. I know I have an old laptop around somewhere that would otherwise end up in a landfill somewhere. 

Thanks ^^