THE CUTLASS THREAD FFS

buzby x

14 hours ago, Reavern said:

As for distinguishing features for the Cutlass Red, I think it should come equipped with a quick-spooling Quantum Drive that enables it to make quantum jumps much faster than most ships

They could slap on more fuel tanks and call it a day... making it more appealing to explorers as well.

As for the Black, I think they would settle for stealth.  It would benefit both pirates that sneak up on their targets and for small traders who are starting out and want to avoid a fight.

I agree that if they put anything bordering on void shields, or actual visual cloaking... it would break the game too much.
Void shields would be too difficult to take down, especially since you can't instantly change the kind of ammunition you're using - so you would have to be outfitted to take down void shields - i'm guessing energy based damage, and that would be a massive advantage to the person with the shielding if the defender didn't have that capability.

Visual cloaking would be an obscene advantage. You could try to balance it by saying you can't move while cloaked, or shoot while cloaked, but it is still a huge advantage. Even if you say that it isn't full cloaking and you still see them shimmer, it would be massive because of how much visual input the game already has in it, removing an element, even partially, would make it significantly harder to find a target. Add on to that the removal of the ability to lock-on (which we're already possibly going to get with reduced emissions), and you eliminate probably 80% of the pilots of Star Citizen and their ability to actually hit you. Of the remaining 20%, i'd say probably only 5% wouldn't lose their ability to hit you, just because they've practiced with the same loadout for so long that they instinctively know where to aim.

2 hours ago, JakeStoanes said:

I agree that if they put anything bordering on void shields, or actual visual cloaking... it would break the game too much.
Void shields would be too difficult to take down, especially since you can't instantly change the kind of ammunition you're using - so you would have to be outfitted to take down void shields - i'm guessing energy based damage, and that would be a massive advantage to the person with the shielding if the defender didn't have that capability.

Visual cloaking would be an obscene advantage. You could try to balance it by saying you can't move while cloaked, or shoot while cloaked, but it is still a huge advantage. Even if you say that it isn't full cloaking and you still see them shimmer, it would be massive because of how much visual input the game already has in it, removing an element, even partially, would make it significantly harder to find a target. Add on to that the removal of the ability to lock-on (which we're already possibly going to get with reduced emissions), and you eliminate probably 80% of the pilots of Star Citizen and their ability to actually hit you. Of the remaining 20%, i'd say probably only 5% wouldn't lose their ability to hit you, just because they've practiced with the same loadout for so long that they instinctively know where to aim.

I'm not sure where I went off the rails in explaining how Void Shields would work... :unsure:

What I meant by anything would pass through the Void Shields from the outside included weapons fire -- all kinds of weapons. Void Shields wouldn't stop weapons at all, leaving the Cutlass Black extremely vulnerable while it was using the Void mode. It would also prevent the Black from using its own weapons because the Void Shields prevent anything from escaping from the shields. If the Black fired its weapons with the Void mode active the splash damage would destroy the ship!

The Void Shields would only be useful for infiltration actions, either for silently approaching another ship or landing undetected at a space installation -- but not much else. It would be crazy to use the Void mode in combat because the opposing player could still see the Cutlass Black and aim their weapons visually and tear up the defenseless ship. (I've competed in AC against players flying Ghosts and was able to keep track of them visually even though my sensors couldn't maintain lock when they weren't firing or moved too far away. It can be challenging to aim accurately without the PIP but once your shots impact the Ghost's shield glimmer give it away and you just hose it with fire. Star Citizen is about player skill so if a player can't deal with stealthy ships like the Ghost that's their problem.)

There's balance and then there's handholding incompetent players. Even if the Cutlass Black isn't equipped with my proposed Void Shields, it's supposed to be stealthy. If a multi-crew ship, like a Starfarer, was properly crewed with players manning the turrets and they were paying attention they should be able to see a stealth ship approaching without relying on their sensors. We know that sensors can't be relied on because of stealthy ships like the Ghost and Prowler, but no one complains about balance for those ships. A Cutlass Black using Void Shields would be no different.

I wasn't talking about a cloaking device or optical camo -- although I disagree that it would be an "obscene advantage". I believe it could be fairly balanced similar to my Void Shields limitations: short duration, long cool down, limited number of usages, defenseless while active, volatile, heavy maintenance required, etc. There have been plenty of video games that have used cloaking devices, optical camo, or invisibility, and the player could deal with it. Like in Halo, the cloaked Elites could be scene by their shimmer, if you were paying attention (also if they had their Energy Swords).

Regardless, I wasn't suggesting or advocating a cloaking device. Just some variety in stealth tech beyond the "turn down the lights and paint it black" stealth the Hornet Ghost and Prowler apparently use.

I don't like cloaking mechanics for this game.

For stealth I'd say low EM&low power engines, thrusters, quantum drive and shields so you sacrifice speed, maneuvrability and protection for stealth.

IR reducing armor so you sacrifice durability for stealth.

That should be about it really.

Similiarly, armor, shields and engines that provide the best protection and combat capability should have the biggest signature.

@Reavern I do like your void shield idea.  The idea of sacrificing one of your key ship layouts for stealth is interesting and would add to a lot of excitement. I also think it would help multicrew ships as well, as it could lend extra value to having a player on your scanners (the scanner operator could have a way to overload void shields when in use, giving him an offensive role when opponents get to sneaky).  I think it would be more useful for players sneaking by pirates, or smugglers than actually pirates...because actually defensive shields are helpful in combat...hey, I find them useful.

I think the shields should be in void mode all the time though, not able to switch to normal shield function. So they are up and shielding from scanners, or they are cooling (and providing no benefit). Since they are absorbing radiation, that could be the limitation. They could run until they are overloaded, by scanner operators, back ground radiation, scanners, or the hosting ships own energy output.

I like it man, it is not a bad idea. I think it should be crazy hard to get in game, and definitely not available on the black though. The easier they are to obtain, the less effective they would be in the since that they would be less surprising. And being easily countered by observant scanner operators is a lot of the risk vs reward in the system.

On 23-11-2016 at 4:09 PM, GeraldEvans said:

Is this size 3 fixed or gimballed?

Fixed.

So it can sport 4xS3 fixed guns max on its hardpoints compared to the 3xS3 of the old model. Turret is also 2xS3 fixed and could technically support up to a fixed S5 if CIG ever decided to make more Flashfire Specialty Mounts in addition to the gimbaled S4 Flashfire mount currently available. :)

No info on the location and size of the missiles but the Cutlass is really starting to look like a little mini gunship. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AstroJak said:

Does anyone know when the newly refactored cutlass will be released? 2.6.1???

AstroJak

I'm guessing in 3.1 together with the Red and Blue. Although I wouldn't mind seeing it sooner; especially since the Caterpillar and 85X also came out sooner than expected. :)

NHfngw0.png

Drake_Cutlass_WIP_GB1-1.jpg

This week’s sneak peek shows off the work being done to the Drake Cutlass Black. These greybox images highlight the attention to detail being given this reliable and modular ship that is just as comfortable hauling cargo as it is dogfighting.

From todays weekly e-mail.