Aegis Idris Frigate

VoA

It's such a little thing that requires so much effort but I'm still incredibly impressed CIG's putting in deck crew NPCs. For me, one of the most exciting aspects is the crew manager for multi-crew and capital ships. 

That I'll be able to get a crew in my Idris, complete from janitors to deck crew? Hell yeah! So psyched. 

Also means we'll have a lot of assets for cinematics! I believe FiendishFeather animated the crew. Taking in-game animations will make the process easy enough for scrubs like me to make cool films. 

Yep. Provided this is possible once everything is said and done, its a powerful argument for me to learn lumberyard and etc. so that I can make a shot for shot Top Gun in Star Citizen. The whole movie. Including the volleyball scene (or a volleyball game stand-in). 

Space Basketball is semi-confirmed on the Javelin at least.

This of course means that I'd need to probably make a NAS Miramar set (because CIG probably won't do it, and the Marines took it over a few years back...so now its not the same at all). Guess I'd better get started if I'm going to render the entire base. Can you imagine going to the O-Club? Singing with your wingman? Going to a bar outside of San Diego to sing Jerry Lee Lewis on a honky tonk piano right with your wingman (minutes before he gets murdered by the canopy on your hornet), his hot wife, and your girlfriend?

Yes. Yes. Yes. I can see it now. I'll Call it Top Citizen. Or or Star Gun. Or maybe Chris Roberts' Flight Academy: The Movie!

Whats the appropriate stand-in for an F-14? Is it the obvious Super Hornet? Or perhaps a Hurricane?

• 1 month later...

Earlier CR said he felt the Idris needed 75 for its crew to feel lived in.... then they worked on it more getting the crew down to 30-50..... but CR initial assumption still held true and now the Idris is back up to 81 for the crew (including the player - at least for S42) - per ATV around 24m into vid

15 minutes ago, VoA said:

Earlier CR said he felt the Idris needed 75 for its crew to feel lived in.... then they worked on it more getting the crew down to 30-50..... but CR initial assumption still held true and now the Idris is back up to 81 for the crew (including the player - at least for S42) - per ATV around 24m into vid

Can't help feeling that experiencing life on board the Stanton will be exactly what CR wanted to convey on the Tiger's Claw all those years ago...

Anticipation for SQ42, rising.

Except the Tiger's Claw was a full space-craft carrier, not a pocket-carrier-frigate.  This is the thing I don't understand, a ship that only holds 2 fighters and a hot spare... doesn't seem like it has a lot of military value as a carrier craft.  Its a gun platform with scouts and a token CAP, it won't be like you'll have ships to spare for attack missions ala Wing Commander.

3 hours ago, Boildown said:

Except the Tiger's Claw was a full space-craft carrier, not a pocket-carrier-frigate.  This is the thing I don't understand, a ship that only holds 2 fighters and a hot spare... doesn't seem like it has a lot of military value as a carrier craft.  Its a gun platform with scouts and a token CAP, it won't be like you'll have ships to spare for attack missions ala Wing Commander.

I was thinking more in terms of life on board the ship, (i.e. what happens between missions: interactions and relationships with crew, navigation from mess to briefing room to hangar deck etc) rather than the military capability of the ship itself.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

Leaked? well we had already seen the walkway (with rooms). stern to bow to stern to be correct about it :)

I'm just going by what was said.  I've seen it in patches, but I don't think I've seen it all together.  I haven't had a laser eye on SC this quarter so I have been wrong a couple times.

On 2/24/2018 at 8:06 PM, Boildown said:

Doubtless there will be room for more fighters than just the two. Industrious captains will probably find ways to fit two full flights of light fighters in there, maybe more.

Still, a frigate with the ability to send out fighters makes it much more than a ship of the line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted by

New Bengal and Idris models

spoiler
renderTimingPixel.png

I was digging through the 3.3 patch and noticed that along with the Valkyrie and other new ships, the new Bengal and Idris models are in the files now. I haven't found the Bengal's bridge yet and still have to import the thrusters/engines which are located in another folder but here are some pics:

Bengal 1 Bengal 2 Idris

The default shading in 3ds max doesn't do the models justice without applying face-weighted normal script to the geometry, but im still working on piecing them together. Just thought some of the 3d model junkies might like to know they're there.

VQC3XeS.jpg