VoA

Aegis Idris Frigate

42 minutes ago, Morphius said:

I'm curious to see if the S10 beam weapon is worth a crapton of UEC, is the package a good UEC investment? 

I don't know the answer to that, but my gut tells me NO: the Idris-K Aftermarket upgrade kit is not a good value for $$$ to UEC. It could very well be the lowest bang-for-your-buck item in SC, considering that you could buy a medium to large ship for $300. A $300 ship can help you earn UECs in-game. If any, the Idris-K kit will cost you UECs because of the anti-ship missiles. But on the flip-side, the S10 Beam Cannon costs a lot less to use than the Idris-M's Rail Gun because its slugs cost UECs, whereas the Beam Cannon only needs power to operate.

Regardless, buying the Idris-K kit isn't about a UEC investment. It's about upgrading our Idris-P frigates to make them more effective in combat.

And now the Warbond Idris-P and Javelins are out of stock. 

Guess all opportunities for them in this anniversary sale are now over, wish some of this had been documented from CIG, I mean, timelines, sale waves for credit, they announced for the K kits but that was all.   Don't want to rant just a PSA that the Warbond sales are over.  

3 hours ago, Reavern said:

Ok, good to know. Although, the Aftermarket Kit having 72-month insurance instead of LTI is needlessly confusing considering that ALL Idris frigates have LTI (because they've always been priced $1000+).

I thought this too, but the simplest explanation is that it relates to Idrises bought in game. These ships will not have LTI and probably cost billions of UEC but can still have upgrade kits applied to them.

Here's my impression of the sale.

The Idris K is not the same as the original BUKs for the Vangaurds. I remember the BUKs originally being sold as packs of equipment and modules which would be additional to your Vanguard. You could have your Harbinger but swap in components from the Vanguard original if you wanted the standard turret or whatever. The K "kit" is more like what the BUKs appear to now be: permanent hull modifications. You won't have the original Idris turrets and weapons sitting on standby should you want them-you'll just have what's included in the K kit.

I don't know if its a good value or not, I'd say that the most interesting aspect is the return of the missile launcher to the ship. The Idris P does not have a stock launcher, and I don't think it has a launcher hardpoint. Its quite valuable for that alone.

The size 10 weapon is not particularly interesting to me. CIG will undoubtedly release more size 10 weapons (you know, because they can make money on them in the short term). Is the beam weapon all that great? It will be in certain situations where you can trade your shields for firepower without fear. In fleet battles? Perhaps, but it'll need to be coordinated so that ships aren't randomly becoming vulnerable.

I'd like to know how changing the turrets from remote to automated actually affects the combat ability of the ship. We really know nothing about how automated turrets function, so its a hard comparison to make. So I'll wait to pick this up until we understand what we're buying in a Cap ship and how one actually functions.

It's an aftermarket upgrade (for the weapons) there isn't anything new to the ship layout (besides that HUGE BFG 20'000). The streamers assumed that it is called idris-k. A spade is still a spade.

I think it (PDS) would make better incoming missiles. However even PDS need at least one operator to set priorty targets, otherwise the closest targer will be fired on.

7 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

It's an aftermarket upgrade (for the weapons) there isn't anything new to the ship layout (besides that HUGE BFG 20'000). The streamers assumed that it is called idris-k. A spade is still a spade.

I think it (PDS) would make better incoming missiles. However even PDS need at least one operator to set priorty targets, otherwise the closest targer will be fired on.

People, not just streamers, call it Idris-K because that's what CIG called it in their email to those of us who got it. Right in the subject line.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

I'll also encourage you to look at the bow of the Idris in the artwork.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:30 AM, Morphius said:

So, maybe an off the wall thought, but, these parts, do we have any idea what they are worth in game (UEC)?  I'm curious to see if the S10 beam weapon is worth a crapton of UEC, is the package a good UEC investment? 

image.thumb.png.5b35acacaf33aaaa8b2ea521c4f0eff5.png

<maybe this could be moved to General as it's not about Aegis ships specifically?>

UEC-wise I think it's still a gamble since we're not sure at what value the UEC will be set at when we switch over from aUEC. I bet we'll see a lot of tweaking to aUEC before CIG makes that switch. In any case i don't think these things will be cheap, but actual value is impossible to know right now.

More than that, even 2 mil, it's bigger in size than even 2 prospector.

However, just thinking that there is no change in the powerplant and beam weapon is a power hungry weapon. Can you additionally add the second powerplant with a Idris-P? assuming you can, just take up cargo space down there.

I iterated from current weapon prices actually.

Like I've bought a M7A for 61k yesterday, which is a S5 weapon and weapon prices double with every size increase.

They said it'll drain power from other systems when fired so it won't be a weapon you fire frequently in the verse but only during cap ship vs. cap ship combat.

Don't forget that weapon cooldowns/spin-up times increase with weapon size so it's likely gonna take like 2-4 seconds to fire after you pull the trigger. Like currently S10 Idris-M Rail Gun has a 5 second cooldown, although it's a Rail Gun so it should fire instantaneously when you pull the trigger. This one's a beam weapon/cap ship gatling so it should have a really long spin-up time.

What's also interesting is that they are selling people PDS's when the Idris, both M & P and the Connie Phoenix were all supposed to have these, but don't anymore, well not unless you buy their kit....

2 hours ago, Wu Jen said:

What's also interesting is that they are selling people PDS's when the Idris, both M & P and the Connie Phoenix were all supposed to have these, but don't anymore, well not unless you buy their kit....

This is what people are not understanding when they're trying to evaluate the Idris-K versus the Idris P there only looking at the size of the weapons and comparison comparing them one to the other and not the weapon type my understanding is the PDS turrets will probably be faster not only in their fire but in their rotation speed giving it a better defense vs Fighters.  However it may be proven that the Idris-P  is better versus slower-moving ships like Large sized ships versus the Idris K being better versus small-to-medium ships that are faster and more maneuverable. 

Here is another video from the Expo

5 hours ago, Wu Jen said:

I don't think they've had them for years, years I tell you. I cannot find a reference to a PDS anywhere in any of the official literature. I'd like to see it. I'm actually interested to see the original sale pages if you know of any way to find those. Connie Phoenix was the only one that was supposed to have one, and maybe the 890.

30 minutes ago, FoxChard said:

I don't think they've had them for years, years I tell you. I cannot find a reference to a PDS anywhere in any of the official literature. I'd like to see it. I'm actually interested to see the original sale pages if you know of any way to find those. Connie Phoenix was the only one that was supposed to have one, and maybe the 890.

Designopotamus - Rob Irving

2UaBwrG.png

Original design had the Idris having 2 Class 9's, which at the time were PDS. Phoenix had 1 Class 9.

https://external-preview.redd.it/dDQh7PK67t7-HpDDaIlSnsIYIm-5E701YNTX2NWA3eQ.jpg?auto=webp&amp;s=2102de88a063d1c1949fbb118011c07119816f8b

On 11/29/2018 at 4:11 AM, FoxChard said:

Don't have time to find the post, however on the old forum there was several posts by CIG undertaking development of the Idris who stated that it had a couple of PDS added - it was never on the stats page though. More of a development thing - the 890 likewise was reported on the development pages with a few PDS though my recollection of that is a little vaguer.

And yes, the Phoenix most definitely had one in the tail from the get go - but nearly everything promised over the Phoenix has been wound back from the concept sale. Strange how that happens.

I think they're trying to balance crew requirements so that's why they're making these changes.

Like Phoenix can be run with players manning turrets but this is harder for ships like Idris or 890J.

There's also a chance that NPC crew capabilities get scaled back and they're mainly there as ornaments or money sinks so bigger ships don't look as empty. Manned and Remote turrets end up AI controlled, likely by server blades you add to your ship's computers and everything else ends up requiring players pretty much. This just might help bring semblance of balance to the game.

@Devil Khan Good to see Teller active again - his previous videos where 6 months ago - was worried....

He was one of the original Data miners for SC along with others that are no longer making videos - like "AnythingFPS"......... 

Here is another recent Teller addition (a short)

From Concierge reply they forward this:

Idris-K Questions
  • The upgrade kit is not a traditional upgrade, but a kit containing the load-out to update your P into a K.
  • The kit is ONLY for the Idris-P.
  • Kits are available as Credit and Warbond.
  • As mentioned in the email, if a kit is desired in the future by an Idris-P owner, please contact support in order to obtain one.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/7/thread/concierge-services-update