Aegis Idris Frigate

VoA

What a great ATV, what a sexy ship.  I may never fly my own ships because I am too busy crewing cap' ships.  What a blast that will be!

I fear for the Stanton in the Sq42 script.

I can't be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that at some point the Stanton IS supposed to get destroyed.... That's the in-game reason for how you wind up on the UEES Kruegeri (the Bengal-class Carrier that we've already seen).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Arcanus said:

I can't be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that at some point the Stanton IS supposed to get destroyed.... That's the in-game reason for how you wind up on the UEES Kruegeri (the Bengal-class Carrier that we've already seen).

My thoughts exactly. Back when the game was first announced they showed off the UEES Paul Steed which was supposed to be SQ42's base of operations. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up stationed on a Bengal sometime during the campaign. I'm also sure we'll see the fleet's flagship, Admiral Bishop's Super-Dreadnought class 'Retribution' in action at some point.

6 hours ago, Donut said:

How accurate is this? It shows an Armoury so I could pursue the armorer profession. Have they expanded it? Gotten rid of it? 

The most recent map I have seen is this one from the morrow tour.  But I have a strong feeling the map on the wall of the morrow tour was an old map and being used as a placeholder.

As far as the likelihood there is an Armory?  Its very logical to have one.

Edit: @Donut I re-read the design post for the Idris, and the way CR phrases it, it sounds like an Armory for reloading ships in the hangar, unless that was your intention.  If CR asked for it, it's less likely a "filler" and more likely its an actual feature.

armory.JPG

EDIT2: Forgive me @Donut, today was my first read through on the WIP:Idris document and I finally made it to page 76 discussing the armory.  Apparently its clarified for personnel gear and not ship ammo.  As to if they expanded on this content, it's not referenced in 10FTC or the official site, so unlikely.  But there is nothing stopping you from doing a little role play, I certainly will.

armory2.JPG

That would be cool. So the profession would deal in both ship armament and small arms and armor. Sounds good to me :)

Found this video. Idk how much is improved or updated upon but it shows the arms room being bigger than the grey box images that were leaked a few months prior to the video

Both of those videos are quite old. I'm guessing the Armory is still there, but we won't really know or get a layout of the ship until it's in the game most likely.

A quick note from the video in ATV we saw yesterday, RTV said the following:

The video in ATV showing off the Catastrophic damage was ingame and not pre-rendered.

• The Idris was crashed on a planet and the damage was handcrafted, but the lightning techniques they used allow them to reuse effects and such to replicate it in different ways easily to create variation.
  • It’s possible for the damage to be procedural as that’s what they’re working towards, but they’d have to be clever at how they do it because spawning debris right infront of you would be pretty jarring to a player and immersion breaking. They’re investigating that with the Tali right now.

GOD YES.

I think the correct word might be 'magazine'-a place where you store munitions aboard a ship.  I would hope that we get multiple different storage points for different kinds of munitions.  Anti-ship torpedoes are stored near their launcher, small fighter missiles and ballistics stored near the hanger.

1 minute ago, Trophias said:

Both of those videos are quite old. I'm guessing the Armory is still there, but we won't really know or get a layout of the ship until it's in the game most likely.

I read on Reddit that there are two versions. One for SQ42 and a completely different one for the PU. Idk how different but hopefully not much.

1 minute ago, FoxChard said:

I think the correct word might be 'magazine'-a place where you store munitions aboard a ship.  I would hope that we get multiple different storage points for different kinds of munitions.  Anti-ship torpedoes are stored near their launcher, small fighter missiles and ballistics stored near the hanger.

It's definitely different areas. There's a specific spot called the Missile storage room where I believe all flight munitions are kept, while small arms and armor is obviously the arms room on the starboard side of the ship. 

Definitely, there is one for SQ42 and one for the PU, so we will see...

and for the larger picture of the questions:

• [Pre-rendered or live?] That was live in-engine. Made possible by the new lighting system. It’s not really affected the lighting, they’ve got new tools where they can drive glow of assets via light. If you’ve got a light that’s 60w in power, and attach it to a large light fitting, the glow will be dim. If you attach the same bulb to a little LED on the front of the PC, it’ll glow brightly. That’s the kind of thing that made lots of that possible.
    • They also noticed lots of problems with the volumetric lighting, so that’s something that they pushed a lot. They ran around the studio making sure they could get the volumetric particle lighting right. All the particles light correctly so you can create a very ‘cold’ lighting scenario.
    • The team wanted to achieve, especially with the Idris, is you’re always looking through layers. Pools of darkness against pools of light. It’s what you’re looking for in photographic composition, and it allows layers of depth around corners.
  • [Capital ship damage was awesome; were the damages meant to be part of a dynamically damaged ship or was it static?] The stuff from yesterday is focused towards a more static approach. They won’t say never, but the plan for the procedural damage is the same as they’re already investigating with the Tali. They’ve got ~5 states; on, off, auxiliary, emergency, something else. Spawning of debris and meshes are possible, but they’d have to be clever. Wouldn’t want to walk down a corridor and stuff spawns in front of you.
    • Lots of games use ragdolls, they can use tracing to spawn things in and out depending on where the player is, but the focus of the Idris segment was taking it 60% towards its complete death. Yesterday was focused on ‘it’s just happened, just gone down’, there were two different styles. One was on the dead side of the ship, the other was on the still ‘alive’ side of the ship. Two archetypes.
    • There’s also a high-level pass, what they’re calling Husks, things like the opening of the SW7 movie, exploring ships that have been dead for years. They want to do this mostly with shaders.
  • [Was the Idris R&D only, or will we see it in-game at that fidelity?] That’s the accumulation of 7 weeks work, so you’ll see it in-game at better fidelity. It was really just trying to be efficient and clever with the assets they’ve got. They’ve got about 80% of what they wanted to achieve, and they’ll probably do it on every ship. It wasn’t R&D for R&D’s sake, there’s a bigger picture.
  • [Procedural damage or handmade?] Handmade. A lot of the mesh work is hand-done. He’s worked on the Crysis games, and he wants to use the engine to its full extent; cloth, light, volumetrics, broken glass, etc… The engine does that really well and this is the first time they’re having a chance to use it. To get that there’s a lot of hand-placed geometry, and to get the moist air and the organic shapes, the corners all have debris up against them, lots of vines hanging from the ceiling, etc… trying to mimic a jungle.
  • [Video showed an Idris that appeared devastated but still had atmosphere, this was planetside? What kind of variables should we expect? (underwater, etc…?] It was on the ground. As mentioned, in-space will happen, any terrain surface you might see them. The way everything behaves in the ship is how you expect it. With space wreckage you can do interesting things with particles and sound. When you open a door in 0g and there’s decompression, all that stuff in the air they were trying to achieve would get sucked out. And that’s all doable. In the particle system they can tell particles to get sucked towards a ‘target’ like a vent. Little things like that, little cracks in windows that stuff can get sucked through, etc…

15 minutes ago, Trophias said:
  • The Idris was crashed on a planet and the damage was handcrafted

I assumed the gravity would be too badly damaged to still be working so it must have been planitside.  

A lot of people in RSI chat took issues with using a water based fire suppression system on a space craft.  Did they say it was a sprinkler system?  I just assumed the dripping water was broken pipes.

2 minutes ago, GRIZZ said:

I assumed the gravity would be too badly damaged to still be working so it must have been planitside.  

A lot of people in RSI chat took issues with using a water based fire suppression system on a space craft.  Did they say it was a sprinkler system?  I just assumed the dripping water was broken pipes.

I think they said it was a sprinkler.  We don't know if it was water in lore or not.  Even if they said it was water, they can turn on a dime and just say, no, it was a flame retardant viscous jelly.   

2 minutes ago, GRIZZ said:

Yeah no idea there, I assumed the same.

2 minutes ago, FoxChard said:

I think they said it was a sprinkler.  We don't know if it was water in lore or not.  Even if they said it was water, they can turn on a dime and just say, no, it was a flame retardant viscous jelly.   

But both would be useless in zero-G and you would need to use a gas or vent to space.  Easy solutions.

20 hours ago, Arcanus said:

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hide and tag this as spoilers. That's already a rule.

53 minutes ago, Karmaslap said:

Hide and tag this as spoilers. That's already a rule.

It's not a spoiler if a CIG official has stated or posted. If it comes from an info dump, then it is. The above was stated by CIG or an opinion of Arcanus, so it is not in violation of the rules.

11 hours ago, Trophias said:

It's not a spoiler if a CIG official has stated or posted. If it comes from an info dump, then it is. The above was stated by CIG or an opinion of Arcanus, so it is not in violation of the rules.

It's from the "Leaked" script of the first few missions of the game that circulated a while ago. I don't think CIG has talked about it.

3 hours ago, Karmaslap said:

It's from the "Leaked" script of the first few missions of the game that circulated a while ago. I don't think CIG has talked about it.

Well now you've just taken a rumor that I'd heard (since I haven't read the "leaked script") and elevated it to the realm of fact.  However, I'm also 90%+ confident that if that was an important plot point, and it was in the leaked script... they'll have found a way to tweak and/or change it since the script was leaked, since (I think) that happened over a year ago and they've done quite a bit of filming/editing/rewriting since then.  I'm not saying that something won't happen to the UEES Stanton...  I still think (script or not) it's an easy and logical way to get you off of one ship (especially after the XO's speech we heard during the "Morrow Tour", which implies that it'll be a cold day in hell before you're fighting with Admiral Bishop) and on to the UEES Kruegeri (which we DO know you wind up on at some point, since CR himself has said so in interviews).  I just think that whatever does happen (that destroys/damages the UEES Stanton) will be engineered in such a way that it catches you completely by surprise anyhow.

This is some serious progress on the Capital ship. Damn I can't wait to have our Imperium fleet roam around and board some near blown appart pirate Idris ship with this atmosphere and take it over for Imperium.

4 minutes ago, Yekko said:

This is some serious progress on the Capital ship. Damn I can't wait to have our Imperium fleet roam around and board some near blown appart pirate Idris ship with this atmosphere and take it over for Imperium.

Just so long as none of OUR Idrii wind up in this condition!

Watching the damaged Idris constantly had me thinking "What if there's still something roaming the ship?".
I dont want it to go to "horror" levels, but to have the chance of some kind of creature(s) roaming on board derelicts will be so epic.

I'm just saying I'm not boarding anything without at least a sidearm.

1 hour ago, Fizzlefuse said:

Watching the damaged Idris constantly had me thinking "What if there's still something roaming the ship?".
I dont want it to go to "horror" levels, but to have the chance of some kind of creature(s) roaming on board derelicts will be so epic.

I'm just saying I'm not boarding anything without at least a sidearm.

I am hoping there are frequently things on board that you need to "deal" with.  Pirate Scavengers, UEE Guards, xenomorphs, hobos, Automated defense systems, natural and man made traps, etc.

I would love for discovered wrecks to be more of a challenge than random spawning treasure chests.  I gifted a buddy a copy of SC and my only comment to him was "I know you don't care for flight sims, but your the best FPS player I know and I'd love for you to cover my 6."  As a fan of Star Trek, I wholly look forward to thease types of Away Missions.

28 minutes ago, GRIZZ said:

I am hoping there are frequently things on board that you need to "deal" with.  Pirate Scavengers, UEE Guards, xenomorphs, hobos, Automated defense systems, natural and man made traps, etc.

I would love for discovered wrecks to be more of a challenge than random spawning treasure chests.  I gifted a buddy a copy of SC and my only comment to him was "I know you don't care for flight sims, but your the best FPS player I know and I'd love for you to cover my 6."  As a fan of Star Trek, I wholly look forward to thease types of Away Missions.

Oh man, don't you just hate it when space-hobos squat your Idris? ugh.

I fully agree that it should be more then random spawning treasure chests. Maybe the ship carried valuable data, maybe its some alien or experimental technology, maybe it's a weapons smuggler... or it could have been carrying a load of wild alien creatures that have now escaped from their cages. The unknown makes is all the more awesome. The possibilities are endless and knowing CIG they won't cut any corners.