Aegis Idris Frigate

VoA

Hmm I wonder if they decided having that many manned (and relatively small) turrets wasn't workable with human crew (being fun/interesting).  I hope larger STS turrets are still manned if that's the case; gunning a huge turret should be sufficiently interesting over a normal anti-fighter turret, to me at least.

This would also cut down a lot on crew requirements.

14 hours ago, GalYurr said:

This would also cut down a lot on crew requirements.

I theorized a while ago that if they allowed hiring NPC's then Auto turrets was a logical step to reduce server overhead.  

The neat thing is because Star Citizen has no experience or levels, you can't just camp somewhere AFK and profit, you physically need to acquire jobs to eliminate threats or need to actively salvage to profit.  It makes me wonder what kind of tasks you can assign to NPC wingmen...  Can I set a NPC in a small ship to salvage and go afk in an Idris?   I'm sure this will be exploited and then balanced before release, but still fun to consider.

2 hours ago, GRIZZ said:

I theorized a while ago that if they allowed hiring NPC's then Auto turrets was a logical step to reduce server overhead.  

The neat thing is because Star Citizen has no experience or levels, you can't just camp somewhere AFK and profit, you physically need to acquire jobs to eliminate threats or need to actively salvage to profit.  It makes me wonder what kind of tasks you can assign to NPC wingmen...  Can I set a NPC in a small ship to salvage and go afk in an Idris?   I'm sure this will be exploited and then balanced before release, but still fun to consider.

The idea that NPC crew functions would be so robust that you could be on the deck of your ship and have NPC's conducting flight operations, performing salvage, mining, etc. in real time.  Well that's the dream isn't it!  CIG have shown they err on the side of immersion and don't take shortcuts so let's hope this is the case with crew operations as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

From RSI-Forum:

(4:32:06 PM) CIG Matt Sherman: @Beeff: It's not something that can really be piecemealed out like that. The Idris is a tremendously large ship, and even just that kind of skeleton-setup would require a lot of work which would most likely end up being thrown out and replaced when the final implementations are setup.

(4:32:48 PM) CIG Matt Sherman: If anything, it may be possible to see it added after SQ42 has launched, but even then, the setup needed for the SQ42 version will be far less moving parts needed than the final player-accessible/interactive version.

(4:47:13 PM) CIG Matt Sherman: The first Idris any player will encounter in-game is going to be in SQ42, it's not going to be pushed out in any capacity prior to that.

Disco Lando:

Ultimately, here's the deal: It's just too early to know, just yet.

There's still a lot of work to do on the Idris. There's still a lot of work to do on Squadron 42.

And the decision to release one before the other doesn't have to be made until one is ready and the other is not.

So it's all ideas and ruminations at this point, but no decision on this exists at this time, and even if it did, it would be subject to the changing realities of development at the hypothetical future time we're discussing.

So we're gonna put a pin in this thread now. This isn't even a call we have to make for months and months to come, yet.

We have already 'Seen' the idris, outside, and in. your 'prediction' is a little late. as to when the idris is finalized and 'hanger ready' that is another thing entirely. don't hold your breaths on that until sq42 time.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VoA said:

Beautiful image of the Idris Hangar... :wub:

In my opinion the most inspiring and beautiful shot of Idris to date!

yes its a nice one. but i think its mostly shoped if you compare the size of the gladi with the size of the hanger. now you do the same with this Image which seems more to be "real" or in game. on the first Picture the ceiling is to high and the hanger to wide. or not ? just my 2 Cents. what do you think?

Hangar1b.jpg

4 hours ago, MisterMaa said:

yes its a nice one. but i think its mostly shoped if you compare the size of the gladi with the size of the hanger. now you do the same with this Image which seems more to be "real" or in game. on the first Picture the ceiling is to high and the hanger to wide. or not ? just my 2 Cents. what do you think?

Hangar1b.jpg

Honestly, it looks too small for proper safety margins to be factored in, not too large like you may think.  We don't really know anything about landing ops of gladii, but you know, they may be coming in 'hot' during combat situations and when you're moving 10m/s plus you run out of spare space really really quickly.  Sure, there may be a landing autopilot option-but what if its disabled for whatever reason?

Guys, trust me on this one, this clip from Mystery Science Theater 3000 is very relevant to depict what could happen if automated landing sequences go down.  You'll need to start it at 13:35 if it doesn't autolink to the correct position.

Edit: also, if its any indication, the Southern Sun's (you know...totally not the original Battlestar Gallactica or anything...)hangar bay is of any good reference, you can clearly see that the small fighter has plenty of room to maneuver in the bay, but its speed still allows it to veer uncontrollably around inside.  Ultimately this results in tragic consequences for a doctor and spurs an onboard ship mutiny...in space...you could say that it was a...Space Mutiny...

Quote from Ben Lesnick April 6th, 2016

Howdy!

These are the stats currently listed in our internal Wiki. I should stress that these are by no means final, and really won't be even when the Idris is flight ready... a whole lot of balancing (and thus stat) work takes place AFTER that stage. (Similarly, these may have changed in the three days since they were last edited in the Wiki, too... much of this can be changed by a technical designer working out something with just a few keystrokes.)

Manufacturer Aegis Dynamics
Variants 2 (M/P)
Cargon Capacity 100 SCU
Cargo Storage Cargo Rooms
Landing Gear Skids
Take Off Method VTOL
Max Crew 37
Role Frigate
Length 237m
Width 134m
Height 50m
Mass 1,600,000kg
Docking Ring Yes
Radar Type 3D

Avionics
12x Name TBC (Medium - Bridge)
8x Name TBC (Medium - ATC Room)

Coolers
4x Name TBC (Capital - Hangar Floor)
8x Name TBC (Medium- Hangar Wall)

Fuel System
2x Name TBC Fuel Intake (FL,FR)
1x Name TBC Fuel Tank

Gravity Generator
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Life Support
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Jump Drive
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Power Plant
2x Name TBC (Capital - Reactor Room)
2x Name TBC (Medium - Bridge)
4x Name TBC (Medium - Hangar)

Radar
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Shield Generator
4x Name TBC (Capital - Shield Gen Room)
2x Name TBC (Medium - Bridge)

Thrusters
8x TR5 (Main)
8x TR3 (Maneuvering)

Turrets
5x Behring M3C ASA Turret (2xS4 Guns)
1x Behring M5C STS Turret (2xS6 Guns)

Weapons
1x Klaus & Werner Zestroyer Rail Gun (S10)

Missiles
1x A&R Plowshare Anti-Ship Missile Launcher (ASML)